• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How the heck does Devialet do it?

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most folks will not be able to identify bass distortion/doubling unless/until a driver hits the stops. It just sounds softer until then.

I thought Devialet limit power to the drivers to prevent this from happening no?

Could also have been peaky
That's because Devialet has absolutely terrible listening rooms for product demos.

They value the aesthetics of big, empty white rooms more than their absolutely horrific impact on sound quality. Room acoustics are vital to a decent listening experience.

Exactly. That's the impression I got. All glass walls? Come on! It felt like the target audience for these Phantoms were people who wanted a unique art piece that happened to reproduce sound. At the end of my listening time I asked the salesperson, I thought Devaliet made high end amplifiers (thinking I had gotten my brands mixed up)?

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excluding the bass, the measurements look good, but not great, at least for the price. The only exceptional thing is the bass extension, which is incredible, for sure. The on axis and LW are fairly smooth/flat but not near SOTA. The directivity control is also pretty bad, as it hardly controls directivity at all below 1000Hz, though maybe that's somewhat desirable for a single speaker in some use cases).

I don't see any reason why the Devialet's with a sub and RC would beat your 8260s w/GLM. The Genelecs control directivity to a much lower frequency, and their on/off axis response is much better.

Using these measurements as a reference.

Not sure if you were aware that those measurements of mine are of the smaller phantom reactior.

The other thing to note about my measurements is that I'm like 80% sure that the messiness in the mids has to do with my measurement setup. It is my experience that speakers that are highly vertically curved tend to be very sensitive to placement on their stand. I suspect that 'squiggly' region is really quite a bit smoother. Alas, I could only do so much at the time.

Personally, I think these are close to SOTA, in FR and directivity. They are designed to be heard off axis, and 15-degrees off axis is pretty much ruler flat other than the bass.

On directivity, I always think unique, smooth directivity is something worth chasing. It'll always at least sound 'different' while still potentially being in the realm of 'good.' The Phantoms have a directivity profile that's quite unusual and exceptionally wide for more of the frequency range. In the right room are going to create a soundstage that is far more expansive than most waveguidey type speakers, and that's going to be appealing to a lot of listeners.

Imo chasing directivity control down low is not always that important. As you know I do tend to like wide directivity, but I've also mentioned that I like speakers that approach constant horizontal directivity. That can be either a speaker like the D&D 8C, or a speaker with extra wide directivity. Dr Toole mentions in his book that at one point that one point an almost-omnidirectional speaker was one of the highest blind test performers.

I listened to a pair of Phantoms in a pop up demo room at a shopping mall on the way to dinner. This was maybe 6 yrs ago. I got to sit in the MLP and play familiar selections. I chose Taylor Swift.

What immediately struck me, and others have mentioned this, was just how distorted the bass was. I don't care how good the unit measures from a FR standpoint, the bass made the whole thing unlistenable. My second impression I had was what a nice overpriced gimmick. It sounded "okay" but nothing amazing at all. It's nothing in the territory of the Genelec, Revel, or B&W compact monitors I'm familiar with except for perhaps bass extension, ignoring distortion.

The fact that the Phantoms apparently "measure well" was surprising to me, and continues to support the fact that the people's ability to eyeball various FR charts in order to predict listening impressions is not as good as they think it is. The science isn't close to being perfect, and humans can't analyze at a computational level necessary to get close. I'm surprised nobody is gushing at the controlled off axis response and predicting Salon2-like SQ, but then again I haven't read through all 6 pages.

Yeah, as mentioned, Devialet's listening rooms are really quite ridiculous, especially without room correction. All glass cube here in NYC too.

Now offer a counterpoint and get to say I listened to both the standard phantom and the smaller reactors in my own home for several weeks and thought they both sounded excellent and better than many 'proper' hifi speakers. I don't recall ever noticing distorted bass. In fact, I do recall struggling to get dual subs as good as the phantom reactors sounded on their own. (Obviously the subs are better when optimized ideally, it was just a bit of a hassle).

And these impressions were formed before I'd made or seen any measurements of the speaker. I had no expectations of how they would perform in that regard. I'm fairly confident that most people who found the bass distorted on these were actually just hearing excessive bass and/or room issues. It's a common thing in blind studies.

I do consider the reactors at least to be in the upper echelon of small speakers. I liked the larger phantoms a lot as well, but I'd like to see another set of measurements to have a stronger idea of their performance. Soundstage network has a strong reputation of accurate measurements but I do have a small concern that something may be a bit amiss with their FR measurements of the larger phantoms based on my experience measuring the smaller ones.

To be clear, none of this is to say people should go out and buy these speakers. They are very hard to recommend unless you are mainly in it for the full range, wide sound, or want an all-in-one bassy speaker. I don't know if the problems have been addressed since, but the Devialet Phantom and Phantom reactors were two of the most frustrating experiences I've had testing speaker. Lag, buggy software, disconnects, frustrating controls, lack of connectivity options, annoying software, and some overall inexplicable design choices really made them hard to love. But I did absolutely love their sound.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if the problems have been addressed since, but the Devialet Phantom and Phantom reactors were two of the most frustrating experiences I've had testing speaker. Lag, buggy software, disconnects, frustrating controls, lack of connectivity options, annoying software, and some overall inexplicable design choices really made them hard to love. But I did absolutely love their sound.
I had frustrations at the beginning too but they work fine now, though mine can't use the new V2 software due to no bluetooth so I stick with V1 and the Dialog which at least gives and extra digital input and Qobuz built in.
I would have been furious at the beginning if they had been my main speakers, but, like you, whatever I criticise it is not the sound quality.

OP
P

Piranesi

Had a chance to listen to Devialet Reactor 95s in a stereo configuration in a proper listening room yesterday.

They sounded decent for the price, though perhaps not quite as impressive as their measurements would suggest. Bass was impeccable as expected, but transient response with cymbals and such instruments sounded a little slow and muffled versus similarly priced passives. They cast an accurate but fairly narrow soundstage, though I'm not sure how much of that was due to the speakers versus their placement/room interactions.

DWI

I heard the Phantom Gold set up as a stereo pair in Devialet's main branch in Rue Saumur some years ago and they sounded fabulous, much better than the Devialet Expert set up in the same store in a poor location with dodgy speakers. I thought at the time I could live with them very happily.

My wife has a Devialet Reactor 900w unit in her work studio and she loves it. We heard it when it was launched at a Devialet store in the Palais Garnier. What amazed me was that it is a unit you can hold in one hand and it could easily throw good quality sound across the room (measured as 12 paces) with incredibly good dispersion. I could not imagine a better unit for sticking anywhere and filling a room with sound. We also have a 600w unit that we used in the kitchen.

These units were designed to work well as PA units. Personally, I think they are very clever devices and very listenable, and now Roon Ready.

DWI

Could also have been peaky

Exactly. That's the impression I got. All glass walls? Come on! It felt like the target audience for these Phantoms were people who wanted a unique art piece that happened to reproduce sound. At the end of my listening time I asked the salesperson, I thought Devaliet made high end amplifiers (thinking I had gotten my brands mixed up)?

Found a picture of Devialet at Palais Garnier. I think this was the launch event (image was from October 2018) as they would not sell me one and they were not yet available online. It's more or less round inside, 12m diameter, and the space sounded very good indeed.

Bought one back in the UK and my wife uses it 7 or 8 hours per day, never tires of it.
B 24.jpg

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Besides the horrid app and lack of connectivity options to make a regular stereo or surround system, these seems severely underrated.

For $2500 on ebay of pair of Reactor 900s wipe the floor with anything else I've heard at that price range.

Cheaper option for an impressive coaxial would be Kali.

Upgrade option is Genelec.

Most everything in the Devialet price range has wretched dispersion and little bass extension.

I wish there were a dispersion metric to score things on. Annoying that we are usually talking about a 1 degree slice of horizontal dispersion instead of the entire cone/sphere.

blodsbror

All phantoms across the range are now Roon Ready, and software has been greatly improved.
In addition, the Devialet Arch has been released - that lets you wirelessly add analogue (inc turntables) or digital sources.
Everything is of course digitised, so analogue purists need not apply

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are tiny and sound great but the software just sucks.

When I heard the latest version at AXPONA earlier this year the stereo link between them kept cutting out. The rep also told me that the minimum latency was 60ms which just awful.

Unless you manage to get your hands on the CI versions which have wired analog inputs these only good for straight music. No movies and no gaming.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir tests up to higher volumes. If they can maintain that performance at 95+ db then they deserve to be appreciated.

Yeah, I wonder how well they would do. Playing at 95dB a Phantom I would still have 13dB of headroom before hitting their peak... and a lot of music these days will be only 10-12dB of dynamic range.

I had the same issue with them cutting out in stereo, and it is a bit of a letdown when bass hits but they are maxed out and it compresses. That being said, that's a very high volumes and it outperforms any soundbar I've heard in any case.

Top Bottom