• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How SoundStage! Began Measuring Speakers

• Thread starter Deleted member 14468
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14468

Hello,

I was recently visiting Axiom Audio, which has its own anechoic chamber, where I agreed to do some interviews for their YouTube channel. I thought this one might be of interest to ASR readers -- in it is the story about how we began measuring speakers at Canada's National Research Council, as well as why we think it's important to measure them. We hope you enjoy...

Thanks,
Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Snoochers

I don't know a ton about measurement, but as you can see this forum is now exploding with incredible measurements following the ANSI/CTA2034A measurement standards AKA "spinorama". An anechoic chamber is obviously the best place to be doing any sort of speaker measurement, but I'm curious if you've considered expanding the measurements you take to meet the spinorama standards. Or perhaps you're already there and I'm simply missing something?

OP
D

Deleted member 14468

I don't know a ton about measurement, but as you can see this forum is now exploding with incredible measurements following the ANSI/CTA2034A measurement standards AKA "spinorama". An anechoic chamber is obviously the best place to be doing any sort of speaker measurement, but I'm curious if you've considered expanding the measurements you take to meet the spinorama standards. Or perhaps you're already there and I'm simply missing something?

It's in the video. When you're measuring speakers of all shapes and sizes, it takes a lot of time to do a completely 360-degree on them. You might be able to get away with just the platform, or you might have to rig up things to keep it all in place when, for example, you lay it on its side. So not only is that time-consuming, it becomes expensive. I outlined that in the video, as well as what people should really look at our measurements to provide.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Snoochers

It's in the video. When you're measuring speakers of all shapes and sizes, it takes a lot of time to do a completely 360-degree on them. You might be able to get away with just the platform, or you might have to rig up things to keep it all in place when, for example, you lay it on its side. So not only is that time-consuming, it becomes expensive. I outlined that in the video, as well as what people should really look at our measurements to provide.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Well crap, that will teach me to put a video on "watch later" instead of watching it before commenting ! Hah. Thank you

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Great interview, thanks for the story! Wow 25 years measuring speakers in NRC, nice!

About THD and bass response, I understand that the Klippel NFS is capable of measuring them accurately without needed the huge aniconic room, right?

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Excellent video.

I wonder if NRC does tours (when COVID ends of course)?
I'd love to go and experience the feeling of being inside an anechoic chamber one day.

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I've been in anechoic chambers more times than I could count, but always for automotive engines never a loudspeaker.

OP
D

Deleted member 14468

I see they have now purchased an APx555 for measuring electronic gear. I wonder who inspired that! ;) https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/opinion/1491-more-measurements-heres-why

Actually, it was inspired by when we started measuring speakers, in 2000. Shortly after, we commissioned Bascom King to produce amplifier measurements for us -- and he used an AP. Bascom has retired from doing that, so we had to find a way to measure -- and decided to bring it in house. The APx555 is really the only choice.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I just love how Canadians say "out". Aoot.

Cool video. Very informative. Thanks for sharing.

I was thankful that SoundStage had measurements of my F206s before I purchased them.

Aoot!

D

Deleted member 19195

I just love how Canadians say "out". Aoot.

Cool video. Very informative. Thanks for sharing.

I was thankful that SoundStage had measurements of my F206s before I purchased them.

Aoot!

That's primarily an Ontario thing. 'aoot and aboot'.

edit: enjoyed the video!

Last edited by a moderator:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
About THD and bass response, I understand that the Klippel NFS is capable of measuring them accurately without needed the huge aniconic room, right?
That's correct. It is an optional step that I don't always use. My room where I measure speakers is quite large and only has one dominant mode which skews the distortion measurements. It is not large enough to bother with the correction all the time. When I do perform the correction, you see it indicated on the distortion graph:

index.php

Note the phrase "anechoic/free-field."

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, it was inspired by when we started measuring speakers, in 2000. Shortly after, we commissioned Bascom King to produce amplifier measurements for us -- and he used an AP. Bascom has retired from doing that, so we had to find a way to measure -- and decided to bring it in house. The APx555 is really the only choice.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!
I’m glad to hear that. SoundStage is one of the few review sites that consistently have reviews that match my personal experience. More measuring is better from my perspective, as I prefer to read measurement sections before I read subjective reviews.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I was recently visiting Axiom Audio, which has its own anechoic chamber, where I agreed to do some interviews for their YouTube channel. I thought this one might be of interest to ASR readers -- in it is the story about how we began measuring speakers at Canada's National Research Council, as well as why we think it's important to measure them. We hope you enjoy...

Thanks,
Doug Schneider
SoundStage!
Great video!

Top Bottom