• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How significantly do minor dents impact sound?

archerious

I ordered a pair of mint Kef R5 but Fedex decided otherwise and dented them.

How significant would the dent to the Uni-q driver impact sound?

tempImageHDiW3d.jpg

tempImage3jH6Kx.jpg

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hard to even spot the dent in those pictures.

Any dent will certainly impact the sound, but it isn't likely to be audible. Unless of course whatever caused the dent also damaged the voice coil.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to even spot the dent in those pictures.

Any dent will certainly impact the sound, but it isn't likely to be audible. Unless of course whatever caused the dent also damaged the voice coil.
The uni-Q driver is a precision piece of hardware. I would get them serviced and new drivers put in or completely new speaker(s).
kef-rseries-uniq.jpg

OP
archerious

archerious

OP
archerious

archerious

Screw keeping these, send 'em back as damaged upon receipt and have them replaced.

JSmith

I messaged the seller on Audiogon. They will file a claim with fedex. Since it’s not a large business it’ll probably be a few weeks until fedex provides some sort of resolution.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If mine I would dump those back on the shipper/seller and walk away from the damaged units and get some virgin unbruised speakers. If you ever want to upgrade, trade or sell those damaged speakers they will be cursed and cause issues getting rid of them.

tecnogadget

I don’t get how it could get those hard scratches on the laquer. They are packed inside the box with lots of foam protection. Are you sure the seller didn’t package as it is ? Some of the many boxes I’ve received of brand new R series were seriously damaged by stupid shipping company, but the thanks to the protection the speakers were flawless.

OP
archerious

archerious

OP
archerious

archerious

I don’t get how it could get those hard scratches on the laquer. They are packed inside the box with lots of foam protection. Are you sure the seller didn’t package as it is ? Some of the many boxes I’ve received of brand new R series were seriously damaged by stupid shipping company, but the thanks to the protection the speakers were flawless.

The listing doesn't show any of the hard scratches in the listing pics.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisab0f1-kef-r5-pair-piano-black-full-range?show_listing=true

Seller also has solid ratings.

Eetu

Forum Donor
This. Unless the layer(s) of foam and plastic were badly damaged/torn as well it seems unlikely the scratches could have come from the boxes taking a hit. But in any case, I would refuse to accept the speaker(s) in that condition.

OP
archerious

archerious

This. Unless the layer(s) of foam and plastic were badly damaged/torn as well it seems unlikely the scratches could have come from the boxes taking a hit. But in any case, I would refuse to accept the speaker(s) in that condition.

Yeah I would've refused delivery upon seeing the giant gashes on the cardboard box but Fedex delivered them at 9:59am with no signature.

Top Bottom