• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

How possible to do a SMPS amp with 1000mhz (1ghz)?

technically it's doable, just out of my long curiosity, after all these years, the highest switching FR from smps amp is 1mhz, come on, we can push a bit farther

dfuller

Other than logic gates, there's basically no reason to operate transistors that fast. Most SMPS designs switch well below 1MHz.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Work has been done on much faster switching frequencies. Best example is a spin off from MIT, Finsix. I use their replacement switching power supply for my HP laptops. They are a quarter of the size of normal switching supplies. The research was around 30 to 300 Mhz switching frequency. Can't find the exact specs for Finsix but I think it runs at 100 MHz. The faster switching rate allows the reservoir electrolytic caps to become much smaller (to the point of being able to do away with them). The trick was maintaining efficiency with the MIT research solves with a two stage regulation.

You can read more about it online: https://www.powerelectronictips.com/high-switching-frequencies-come-to-laptop-chargers/

Here is a picture of the Finsix supplies:

Panelhead

Forum Donor
The highest I have seen for sale is around 700 kHz. Some of the esoteric new (big bucks) power amplifiers may be higher.
But time will show if higher switching speeds yield better products.

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Finsix looks pretty cool, but a bit pricey.
I went in with the kickstarter and paid fair bit less. But I agree, it is expensive at that cost.

egellings

At that frequency, 2 short pieces of wire or PCB runs in close proximity would constitute your transformer!

Top Bottom