• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How often do you change your inner record sleeves? What do you use?

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Until recently, I exclusively used MoFi inner sleeves and I replaced all paper sleeves for new or used records. I just purchased a pack of Vinyl Styl sleeves of similar construction. Seems fine so far.

but it feels the same as Mofi? Mofi are amazing.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but it feels the same as Mofi? Mofi are amazing.
Holding one of each in my hands now, the MoFi is slightly better. The plastic is very slightly thinner, which actually gives it a better feel (to me) when compared head to head. But, the MoFi is $10 more per pack of 50. I don’t perceive there is a formulation difference in the materials other than thickness.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Holding one of each in my hands now, the MoFi is slightly better. The plastic is very slightly thinner, which actually gives it a better feel (to me) when compared head to head. But, the MoFi is $10 more per pack of 50. I don’t perceive there is a formulation difference in the materials other than thickness.

Perfect description, that "slightly thinner" material maybe helps to introduce easily the sleeve in the lp cardboard ... but is a detail. If it worths 10 bucks, everyone decides.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perfect description, that "slightly thinner" material maybe helps to introduce easily the sleeve in the lp cardboard ... but is a detail. If it worths 10 bucks, everyone decides.
I’ve only used a couple of the Vinyl Styls from the new pack, but I’ve experienced the opposite effect.

The thicker material feels less premium to the touch, but in the multiple plys that comprise the entire sleeve, it’s fractionally stiffer than the MoFi. It’s actually a bit easier to slide into a cardboard outer sleeve without folding on itself.

Not much of an issue for me in most cases, as I prefer to slip the record and inner sleeve into the space between the poly sleeve and the cardboard sleeve.

spiral scratch

Yeh MOFI sleeves have been my go to for a while. I used to get poly sleeves from sleevetown (now sleevecity) but their s&h made that unreasonable for me. They were quality sleeves though. I picked up some sleeves from third parties on Amazon but quality control was generally poor. They worked OK, but I'd end up tossing one in every five when the seams split. I guess it was still cheaper than MOFIs, but tossing out new things generally makes me unhappy.

Plain paper's fine for my less cherished LPs. It does break down over time (like 20 years). I haven't had a poly sleeve do what the OP showed (yet).

Last edited:
Top Bottom