• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How often do you change your inner record sleeves? What do you use?

jp4573

I didn't think about changing them, but lately I found this:

20221013_122135_____.jpg

It is some 35 years old and thick polypropylene (?)
I think it contaminated the record because there were too much pops and clicks. I tried to clean it with no success.
Which sleeves do you use: brand, material?

TrevC

I have had several with the poly inner sleeves that have stuck to the record and left a residue, so I usually swap them out for paper ones.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Never changed or needed to change an inner sleeve in 50 years.

Tatr76

Nagaoka are indeed top quality and have used. Mainly get Spin Care now as much cheaper as buy too many records for my own good. Others to consider are Mobile Fidelity but again pricey.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use 'Nagaoka Style' sleeves from Moth Marketing, a lot cheaper, and claimed to be equally good...but then they would say that wouldn't they...
Every LP I buy I clean with my RCM, then use a new Moth sleeve, which fit inside the original paper liner. I then don't change the inner sleeve unless it gets damaged, which is rare. I don't then find any need to clean the LP every again with the RCM, just use the carbon fibre brush to remove any visible dust.

S.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had ownED a 1000+ count LP collection and always had tried my best to keep them in their pristine condition that I knew how.
I would use DiscWasher (and/or SoundGuard) on them and clean the stylus before the first spin. Upon listening,
I would immediately put them back (alphabetical, of course).
My practice for their storage also included (putting the record in the sleeve and then) inserting the sleeve into the album cover with the sleeve's open end going in first.:oops:

BUT >> Never once did I ever think to upgrade the sleeves that they came with. :facepalm: Too late now!

sq225917

Major Contributor
I change them the day I buy the record. I crack the liner open, leave the record in the original sleeve then I shimmy a poly sleeve over the record before removing it for the first time, and flipping it 180 degrees back into the paper sleeve.

The years have taught me the riskiest removal from the card sleeve is the first one.

If they come in decent poly-paper sleeves I leave as is.

Godataloss

I change out most all of them unless they are a quality inner which in practice means I switch out 90%. I've used Mofi almost exclusively for a couple years since I bought a few hundred when they had a deal for $15 for 50 with free shipping. Old paper inners are terrible for shedding fibers, but some of the old poly ones like you posted can become a mess too.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I change them when they become excessively damaged or look flimsy. I use these.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think it contaminated the record because there were too much pops and clicks. I tried to clean it with no success.
Which sleeves do you use: brand, material?
None, I went 100% digital close to 15 years ago.
Only saving my LP collection by doing needle-drop digital recordings.
Which I never listen to anymore, I can't stand all of vinyl's noise and distortions.

mike70

None, I went 100% digital close to 15 years ago.
Only saving my LP collection by doing needle-drop digital recordings.
Which I never listen to anymore, I can't stand all of vinyl's noise and distortions.

So, a totally useless opinion ... almost a troll attitude.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, a totally useless opinion ... almost a troll attitude.
Yeah, That @Sal1950 the Troll! Oh wait! I purged my LP collection as well!:)
Either way, it still makes your name-calling ... much worse than useless:oops:!

mike70

OMG ... I'm sorry, for calling the intolerant army, it wasn't my intention. Excuse me.

The best weapon is to ignore them.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG ... I'm sorry, for calling the intolerant army, it wasn't my intention. Excuse me.
The best weapon is to ignore them.
Can someone please translate for me?

mike70

I change them when they become excessively damaged or look flimsy. I use these.

Did you compared that sleeves with the Mofi? (the Mofi are much cheaper now than years ago, almost the same price)

thegeton

Forum Donor
Did you compared that sleeves with the Mofi? (the Mofi are much cheaper now than years ago, almost the same price)

I have not compared them to the actual MoFi version, but I will when I run out of these. Thanks!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Until recently, I exclusively used MoFi inner sleeves and I replaced all paper sleeves for new or used records. I just purchased a pack of Vinyl Styl sleeves of similar construction. Seems fine so far.

Top Bottom