• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How NOT to test studio audio equipment

• Thread starter Deleted member 60987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 60987

I like this guy. Have seen his videos. He is knowledgeable, knows specs and stats. Then tests things on a ridiculous track about 7 minutes in. In fact I had to comment. Everything is electronic. The voice isn't even singing but rapping with treated autotune. So how would anyone judge these as a reference? It's ok to see how things sound in EDM or rap, but seriously. I want to hear guitar bass and drums. Maybe piano or strings. Actual vocals singing without any electronic treatment or I have no idea if the speaker sounds like the instrument or person it is supposed to.
70s music is pretty good for testing. Pre drum machine and overuse of synthesizer. Rock, Disco, Classical, Jazz. Doesn't the word synthesize tip people off you are not hearing natural sound or even a hi res sample of natural sound? Could I hear speakers and judge which sounded better on a track like this? Yes, but as studio monitors I would have no way of knowing how well those speakers can reproduce bass, drums, guitar, piano or vocals. Accuracy would be out the window. Hey, if you listen to EDM mainly and want speakers as a casual listener you might buy a pair based on how it reproduces songs you like. But as studio monitors? Or reference headphones? That's moronic. I wasn't in the studio hearing how he sounded BEFORE autotune. Virtually every sound is electronically generated. Post production EDM borders on useless for testing reference speakers and headphones.

D

Deleted member 48726

I don't know man. I think any music would suffice when comparing speakers side by side like this. I can't tell how a piano or violin would sound in my room anyway.

And speaking of instruments, they aren't made with the same tonality anyway. Are we supposed to know the make and model of the piano or violin as well to be able to tell how "it's supposed to sound" ?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh dear - when I imagine that some people nowadays get their knowledge from such YouTube videos. :rolleyes:

My thesis: If you listen to such music, you don't need good speakers.
Well, I'll agree that listening to YouTube vids to evaluate speakers is like dumpster-diving behind a restaurant to evaluate its food.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

Well, I'll agree that listening to YouTube vids to evaluate speakers is like dumpster-diving behind a restaurant to evaluate its food.
I'm not suggesting the vid itself is a good reference. But from his point of view it is a crappy way to judge reproduction.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

I don't know man. I think any music would suffice when comparing speakers side by side like this. I can't tell how a piano or violin would sound in my room anyway.

And speaking of instruments, they aren't made with the same tonality anyway. Are we supposed to know the make and model of the piano or violin as well to be able to tell how "it's supposed to sound" ?
Studio monitors exist for one reason. Accuracy. Too much bass or treble a mixer will turn that down overcompensating. There is no way to tell with electronic music if it is accurately reproducing synthesized sound. You can tell if a snare sounds like a snare though. If a sax, vocals or piano sound like they should

Somafunk

Major Contributor
My thesis: If you listen to such music, you don't need good speakers.

Electronic music sounds a damn site better to my ears than classical cat strangling music, or self indulgent plinky plonk jazz.

I’m now going to run away with my fingers in my ears……..la…la….la….la…la…I can’t hear you…la…la….la….la…..

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

Electronic music sounds a damn site better to my ears than classical cat strangling music, or self indulgent plinky plonk jazz.

I’m now going to run away with my fingers in my ears……..la…la….la….la…la…I can’t hear you…la…la….la….la…..
I test headphones on More than a feeling and Blink 182. I want to know how hard rock and clean guitar comes across, along with bass, drums and vocals. My point is, there is no point of reference with electronic music. No way to tell how accurately it is reproducing things.

jbattman1016

I trust marketing material that shows me the difference between HDR and non-HDR content. /s

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

I thought their horns overpowered the bass in their studio monitors. Odd for JBL to have too little bass. KRK, M-Audio, Yamaha, JBL, the Adam were the best in the listening room.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
The guy speaks disdainfully about JBL, sees it as brand of cheap average stuff. He apparently does not know that JBL has the greatest tradition in this comparison group, especially in the studio monitor and pro-audio area.
Yes, I though that was odd, with the possible exception of Yamaha and Pioneer, the other brands are relative newcomers.

Zensō

Major Contributor
It’s wiser to eliminate most of the variables by looking at anechoic measurements. Frequency response (flat) and distortion (low) go a long way to telling how useful a monitor will be for mixing and mastering. Then when you audition the speakers for preference, listen to a wide variety of different sources, high quality, low quality, and a broad range of genres.

There are some useful resources on YouTube, this isn’t one of them.

Last edited:

SSS

There are a lot of questionable videos on YouTube. Don't believe all what is presented. Some is realistic, some presenters have no knowledge at all.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Studio monitors exist for one reason. Accuracy. Too much bass or treble a mixer will turn that down overcompensating. There is no way to tell with electronic music if it is accurately reproducing synthesized sound. You can tell if a snare sounds like a snare though. If a sax, vocals or piano sound like they should
Engineers use music they know and have heard many times on many systems (often something they worked on). Your not comparing a live snare (which can sound 100 different ways) with a recording your comparing a recording with a recording, how else would this work?

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
I test headphones on More than a feeling and Blink 182. I want to know how hard rock and clean guitar comes across, along with bass, drums and vocals. My point is, there is no point of reference with electronic music. No way to tell how accurately it is reproducing things.
So 2 songs you know well. The music is the reference.

D

Deleted member 48726

How do you know what these instruments should like?
Only a piece of music as reference would tell. One you know how should sound on a neutral speaker.

recycle

I like this guy. Have seen his videos. He is knowledgeable, knows specs and stats. Then tests things on a ridiculous track about 7 minutes in. In fact I had to comment. Everything is electronic. The voice isn't even singing but rapping with treated autotune. So how would anyone judge these as a reference? It's ok to see how things sound in EDM or rap, but seriously. I want to hear guitar bass and drums. Maybe piano or strings. Actual vocals singing without any electronic treatment or I have no idea if the speaker sounds like the instrument or person it is supposed to.
70s music is pretty good for testing. Pre drum machine and overuse of synthesizer. Rock, Disco, Classical, Jazz. Doesn't the word synthesize tip people off you are not hearing natural sound or even a hi res sample of natural sound? Could I hear speakers and judge which sounded better on a track like this? Yes, but as studio monitors I would have no way of knowing how well those speakers can reproduce bass, drums, guitar, piano or vocals. Accuracy would be out the window. Hey, if you listen to EDM mainly and want speakers as a casual listener you might buy a pair based on how it reproduces songs you like. But as studio monitors? Or reference headphones? That's moronic. I wasn't in the studio hearing how he sounded BEFORE autotune. Virtually every sound is electronically generated. Post production EDM borders on useless for testing reference speakers and headphones.

Why should a 20-year-old test his speakers with 70s music? It's a sound he has never heard and probably never will: OP statement doesn't make any sense.
Also, the point that electronic music is fake and acoustic music is real was a very popular discussion 40 years ago and it didn't lead to anything, bringing it up today is totally boomer.

The choice of studio monitors is very personal and no measurement or youtube review can replace direct listening (real listening, not from a youtube video), the only advice I can give to anyone who wants to buy those monitors in the video is: don't do it, they are all bad. Save a little more and choose something better

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 60987

Yes, I though that was odd, with the possible exception of Yamaha and Pioneer, the other brands are relative newcomers.
KRK and Adam are about the point of surpassing the others as reference speakers. KRK especially is killing the competition. Adam is only 20 years old but blowing people away. The guy isn't American though. What American doesn't know about JBL and their ability to pump out bass? That said, JBL has never been that big in the studio environment. That goes to Yamaha. NS10s were the standard. KRK and Adam are catching up. What he means is JBL is a commercial home audio company for the most part.

Attachments

• Monitors.jpg
    Monitors.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom