• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How NOT to set up speakers and room treatment ( Goldensound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I just think it is pompous after making ONE room in your life , your first speaker system to come out with a video on HOW TO.
I agree. Goldensound has a propensity to wade in deep and assert an air of authority without much to back it up. Unfortunately, this type of hubris is not uncommon on YouTube and Instagram.

JPA

Forum Donor
Watch below as a user adds bass traps to his room. The lower 3 octave bands on the left are firmly in the modal region of the room.

No traps:

View attachment 288891

Traps in front only:

View attachment 288892

Traps in front and back:

View attachment 288893

Traps in front, back, and something on the ceiling:

View attachment 288895

Notice how little the modal region is affected. Notice how the added ceiling treatment changed the lower three octave bands and increased the variability across all others. As @amirm pointed out, most of the energy is being removed in the upper octave bands. When this occurs, our perception of the size of the space that is based on the reflections from the room boundaries changes and makes the room seem 'smaller'.
Those plots don't have enough resolution in the frequency axis to really show what's going on.

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Those plots don't have enough resolution in the frequency axis to really show what's going on.

Those are RT60 plots that are divided into 1/3 octave bands. The bar plots are centered on 1/3 octave ISO frequencies. The filtering indicated was selected to provide the best correlation factor across those octave bands. REW RT60 help.

dweeeeb2

Unfortunately its the world we are living in. We are surrounded by confidence with little regard for consequence. For an age of unlimited information it is damn hard to find the right information. Thats how I ended up here

OP
N

Nkam

I agree. Goldensound has a propensity to wade in deep and assert an air of authority without much to back it up. Unfortunately, this type of hubris is not uncommon on YouTube and Instagram.

I even talked to him about it.
straight up.

he didn’t even understand what I was saying.
I felt like I was on Mars.

“ kid, you treated one Room in your life and did a how to video, don’t you have a bit of humility or shame?”
his response?
” what was wrong in the video?”

I just want to blow my brains out with that generation.

but , it’s no skin off my back. i know how to take a punch in life.
these kids are in for a rude awakening. Life will throw you a ton of punches.
and man are they not ready.

call me old man or whatever.
it matters not to me .
you are In for a surprise, if you think you are 24 and have figured it all out.

whew. Good luck with that.

d3l

I don't get the hate. In my small room there was reverb all over the place with all frequencies even with nearfield monitors. Placed as many absorbers as possible (5 cm, 10 cm and 40 cm deep) - with regards to the room layout / aesthetics. RT60 before room treatment was unbearable even with loudspeaker calibration ranging from 0,6s to more than a second. Now it's below 0,3s at least for 63 Hz upwards. Imaging is much more focused and (kick)bass enjoyable. Once my financial situation settles maybe in a week moment a pair of Psi Audio AVAA will be ordered as a final step. :)

This. The hate is from people who have no real world experience.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I even talked to him about it.
straight up.

he didn’t even understand what I was saying.
I felt like I was on Mars.

“ kid, you treated one Room in your life and did a how to video, don’t you have a bit of humility or shame?”
his response?
” what was wrong in the video?”

I just want to blow my brains out with that generation.

but , it’s no skin off my back. i know how to take a punch in life.
these kids are in for a rude awakening. Life will throw you a ton of punches.
and man are they not ready.

call me old man or whatever.
it matters not to me .
you are In for a surprise, if you think you are 24 and have figured it all out.

whew. Good luck with that.

So, despite your disclaimers, it really is an aggro old dude thing you’ve inflicted on us. :)

And you really aren’t doing a much better job of answering that question (or several others) for anyone here.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha! What a master class in constructive communication. If someone did not respond positively to that opening line, don't know what else can be done about it.
Where did you learn it, on YouTube?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha! What a master class in constructive communication. If someone did not respond positively to that opening line, don't know what else can be done about it.
Where did you learn it, on YouTube?
The actual answer says a lot: he’s more concerned with the video than the room. He could have asked: what’s wrong with the room?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The actual answer says a lot: he’s more concerned with the video than the room. He could have asked: what’s wrong with the room?
That is a distinction without a difference in my view. Video is about the room and room treatment. Despite the horrible opener, he is asking for feedback on what he did wrong which I think is positive. If someone came to me with that line, I'd tell them to shove it up.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
I could care less what you think actually.
good luck

prodigies all of you.
damn. Can’t wait till you are actually 40. You will all be sending rockets to the moon.
lol
Nasty. Invaders Must Die. No Good.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We don't all have old white dude taste in furnishings/decor though. Happily there are a number of approaches that work for a more zen aesthetic. :)
Fair enough, but most probably there is a place to sit at least. :)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still confused as to what he has done wrong with this room

Amir says you should primarily use furnishings which I get since that's my approach, I only have a small amount of dedicated treatment to address specific problems (flutter echo).

But I have 'Old white dude' aesthetic in my living room - carpet, rugs, curtains, large padded sofas - plus a ton of clutter (too much really) and Goldensound's room seems to have only the hi-fi equipment and an Eames chair, presumably because that's the aesthetic he likes.

So how is he supposed to get a good acoustic without using a ton of dedicated treatment.? (Assuming we agree that DSP alone is not going to deliver that).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel this is getting off point. It's not about Cameron's age... it's about his lack of experience, yet creating a "how to" video and coming across as an expert on the subject matter.
For me personally, I don’t care either way. The main point should be what he is wrong about, plain and simple. The rest are just juicy details that are fun to speculate about, but in the end bring little to the table to resolve the primary issue.

OP
N

Nkam

I feel this is getting off point. It's not about Cameron's age... it's about his lack of experience, yet creating a "how to" video and coming across as an expert on the subject matter.

JSmith

it doesn’t matter.

these kids are keyboard warriors.
can say anything they want online.
get them in person and they will be a stuttering mess

why I mentioned. It’s not the 24 years old per se.
its simply a fact that you don’t have much experience at all at that age.
its just a matter of the amount of time you’ve been on earth.

kids here are trying to deflect, because they are good at it. The internet is their realm.

it’s simple. I’m not an expert. And why I don’t go making vids online on ‘ how to’

Now they will attack etc online. Because once again that is their world. Their realm.
If they knew what reality was, they would have a bit of humility. But if youve been online all your life. Heck, it’s the golden goose. You mean I can say whatever I want online , therefor I am?? Wow

but yeah. Real life. People are gonna ask you for credentials.

he should present at the next Munich Hifi on room treatment To a live audience.
bring the white board and everything
have a Q&A at the end as well.

Reactions: JRS

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This thread is still too much about his age and attitude vs what he actually did with the room.

He found the low end sweet spot for his listening position, treated corners and first reflection points with thick broadband absorption and backed it all up with measurements. To me there was very little factual errors to be found. I don't care if he's 19 or 89 if the content is there.

Floyd Toole says himself that reflections arriving from front and back add little to nothing to spaciousness or apparent source width. His speakers have vertical lobing/directivity error so it's smart to treat the ceiling. He achieved very smooth decay times from 300Hz to 20kHz. 150-300Hz could've been better. But again, the room probably sounds better than mine, Toole's and the majority of folks' rooms here on ASR.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Hearsay. We have no idea what Cameron actually said, just the OP paraphrasing.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hearsay. We have no idea what Cameron actually said, just the OP paraphrasing.
Sure, I’m just going on what has been said here. It would not surprise me though…

OP
N

Nkam

This thread is still too much about his age and attitude vs what he actually did with the room.

He found the low end sweet spot for his listening position, treated corners and first reflection points with thick broadband absorption and backed it all up with measurements. To me there was very little factual errors to be found. I don't care if he's 19 or 89 if the content is there.

Floyd Toole says himself that reflections arriving from front and back add little to nothing to spaciousness or apparent source width. His speakers have vertical lobing/directivity error so it's smart to treat the ceiling. He achieved very smooth decay times from 300Hz to 20kHz. 150-300Hz could've been better. But again, the room probably sounds better than mine, Toole's and the majority of folks' rooms here on ASR.

yeah ok.

who’s system do you want to hear ?
Dr Tooles or Goldensound?

lmao.
right.

like asking , who do you want to hear play violin Hillary Hann or this high school kid ?

let alone get all the wealth of knowledge and asking Toole questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom