• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much one has to spend on a dac to get the true analog sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Simply throw a blanket over your loudspeakers, you can experiment with the thickness.
Keith

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Is there any cheap DAC which sounds closer to analog sound?

I guess that depends on what you mean by analog...
They all re-create the analog waveform, and unless they are trying to add coloration or are just poorly designed, they do it with no loss of information from the original that was sampled. They will show different levels of distortion and noise, but will be virtually impossible to distinguish between under any kind of controlled comparison in non-pathological conditions.

Sampling theory is very robust...you aren't missing anything.

Last edited:

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any DAC can give you analog sound IF it meets the strict criteria of being hooked up to some sort of amp and speakers / headphones. While the signal is analog, I agree that just putting the RCA cables in your ears is ultimately unfulfilling (haven't tried balanced)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It cost's just a bit more than 100$ for desktop and around 50$ for a portable dongle alike one. For that money you will be getting something with elevated flat frequency response & good SINAD but make no mistakes it won't sound polite nor warm, there won't be a great sound stage or physicality to it. Just to let you know great analogue A-B class amplifier sounds exactly the same. Why? Because there's nothing more to it. Now relax and learn to live with it.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I agree that just putting the RCA cables in your ears is ultimately unfulfilling (haven't tried balanced)

Your ears?
You're clearly putting them in the wrong place...
You won't know until you try.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
...make no mistakes it won't sound polite nor warm, there won't be a great sound stage or physicality to it.

If your choice of music is that way, it will certainly reproduce that accurately.

I'm not sure what a polite DAC is...if polite means distorted, I'd rather have the mean one.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's not necessary to spend any money on an external DAC . Unless your player is one of those 'boutique' or 'audiophile' players that have built-in distortion, any half-decent player already comes with a DAC as good as it needs to be.

Even a 'phone, laptop or tablet is quite good enough for transparency.

S

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If your choice of music is that way, it will certainly reproduce that accurately.

I'm not sure what a polite DAC is...if polite means distorted, I'd rather have the mean one.
Whose obviously referring to added coloration, call it as you like. You do know what polite is.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Actually just got curious after seeing or well listening to this video - http://instagr.am/p/B9b3tKzpWq5/ Do you think this is easily achievable by digital, I know he is using good speakers but just got curious.

You can far exceed anything that would come from a vinyl source.
If you were to listen to that record digitally recorded, then played back through virtually any competent DAC, you would not be able to hear a difference.

You would hear all the pops, rumble and everything else too... If you're into that...

Edit: I would suggest...focus on things with moving parts...like speakers...if you are looking to improve your sound

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
Actually just got curious after seeing or well listening to this video - http://instagr.am/p/B9b3tKzpWq5/ Do you think this is easily achievable by digital, I know he is using good speakers but just got curious.

Any of the DACs on Amir’s recommended list meet all the criteria you’ll ever need for accuracy, precise timing, impeccable frequency response and completely transparent reproduction. Such gems can be had for as little as $99 and often times will eclipse the performance of DACs costing $x0,000 or more.

So relax and enjoy the golden age of musical enjoyment!

Asylum Seeker

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Trolling?

Troll?

Don't feed the troll..

I'm out!

OP
J

Jsingh4

Actually this review also made me little confused I was going for D50s but then I read this from - https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/topping-d50s-review-strong-essences-are-kept-in-small-bottles/

1583673051223.png

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Actually this review also made me little confused I was going for D50s but then I read this from -

Purely subjective 'reviews' that are done without any kind of controlled listening process can be safely ignored.

The way our ears and brain work, if you don't do comparisons between devices with the output levels matched by volt meter and done without peeking (blind test), the results are going to be basically meaningless.

If someone can hear those differences, once they've got a level matched double blind test, they would likely be the first, and could make a lot of money on this forum taking bets...from many of us who don't believe in magic.

OP
J

Jsingh4

Why exactly Tooping D50S? Why not LOXJIE P10 for instance which costs only 110$ currently if you don't mind it's unusual look?

Well I need bluetooth feature, also loxjie d10 is a dac amp combo with high impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom