• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much money do you have invested in this "hobby?"

How much have you spent on your current system?

• < 500 USD

Votes: 9 1.8%
  • 500-1000 USD

Votes: 15 2.9%
  • 1000-2500 USD

Votes: 90 17.6%
  • 2500-5000 USD

Votes: 101 19.8%
  • 5000-10000 USD

Votes: 116 22.7%
  • 10000-15000 USD

Votes: 68 13.3%
  • 15000-25000 USD

Votes: 49 9.6%
  • 25000-50000 USD

Votes: 40 7.8%
  • >50000 USD

Votes: 23 4.5%

• Total voters

JayGilb

Major Contributor
PC: $600
DAC(s): $200
Rack of vintage amps: $1000
DIY Speakers: $1000

Total: $2800

I buy non-functional equipment on-line and repair it for low cost.

Still have a lot of my equipment from just after university (30 years), when I started making a good paycheck and had minimal expenses.
Getting married, raising children and putting them through college completely stopped any purchases and now I am picking up
a piece here and there.

Last edited:

JaccoW

Had to rebuild at the beginning of the year from a €3000+ setup:
But the reel-to-reel will be sent in for a major overhaul and I have a couple of mods planned for the turntable. That's easily another €500. Matching stands for the speakers for €200 + some new cables to make it work.

Next year I want to replace the aging laptop with a Morefine S500+ mini pc to serve as the media/music centre and perhaps add a NAS.

So by this time next year I will probably be in the next size up. :p

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Had to rebuild at the beginning of the year from a €3000+ setup:
But the reel-to-reel will be sent in for a major overhaul and I have a couple of mods planned for the turntable. That's easily another €500. Matching stands for the speakers for €200 + some new cables to make it work.

Next year I want to replace the aging laptop with a Morefine S500+ mini pc to serve as the media/music centre and perhaps add a NAS.

So by this time next year I will probably be in the next size up. :p
Sweet deal on that Akai. I have always wanted to refurbish a reel to reel, but I would screw it up. Not too many techs have that type of experience anymore.

JaccoW

Sweet deal on that Akai. I have always wanted to refurbish a reel to reel, but I would screw it up. Not too many techs have that type of experience anymore.
It used to belong to my grandfather so it has a special place for me as well. My father has the matching Akai everything stereo set.
I'm pretty handy but as soon as I opened it up and started looking up guides I knew this was best left to the professionals. I have a tendency to destroy things when I desolder them and that can get very expensive in a machine like this.

Luckily there are a couple of them here in the Netherlands. One is Electro-Andijk who sells original parts for practically everything. Another one nearby is VintageAudioRepair who also sells a lot of overhauled vintage machines.

atsmusic

The first question is this hobby and the second is current system. Two VERY different things for me anyhow.

Top Bottom