• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much louder should Topping DX3 Pro+ be compared to Behringer umc202hd?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah it's not like any of them is too low. I just wanna know the science behind how something with 250mw into 300ohm compared to 7mw into 300 ohm only is 5db louder.
I would put the source (pc?) and the player at full and see what gain setting and volume level gets you as loud as you need on the r70. I suspect you will have oodles of headroom on the the topping. Maybe less on the Behringer.

OP
S

SangriaAudio

I would put the source (pc?) and the player at full and see what gain setting and volume level gets you as loud as you need on the r70. I suspect you will have oodles of headroom on the the topping. Maybe less on the Behringer.
Both of them gets alot of headroom. Behringer at 50% is too loud. 30-40% is enough. 50% at Behringer is -15db low gain on topping

OP
S

SangriaAudio

The difference is max 15dB. 10dB is a doubling in perceived volume.

I already explained this. There is NO other explanation.
Yeah with the Bose it's maybe 15db and with r70x 5db. So 15db more is 35 times the power. That's the case with the Bose. However the r70s it's only around 5db.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Its a gain thing combined with the high imp of the R70X and the high output resistance of Behringer (so volateh division differs between headphones) which has no effect on the Behringer where with the Beyer Bose it does.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Forget about % of volume controls. It literally says nothing.

You are comparing a high output Z, low current crappy headphone amp section with a low output Z, high current output stage and use 2 different imp headphones.
One is low and the other one very high. So you are basically comparing 2 totally different situations which, because of the various differences, have different results.

Last edited:

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Top Bottom