• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much have digital amplifiers improved in 8 years?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Hypex and Purifi have really changed things.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Twenty years ago (or thereabouts) Sharp marketed what they called a 'digital' integrated amp. Class D with built in 1-bit DSD. Sporting a kind of Jet Jaguar Tokyo-modern aesthetic. Normally I'm not attracted to that sort of space-age design, but in this case I thought it was kind of interesting, and not unappealing.

Although it looked like a toy, the company wanted $15,000.00 for delivery, which certainly had to be a non-starter in the general hi-fi marketplace. That said, one thing it had going for it was that it looked just as cool upside down as right-side up. Few integrated amplifiers could make that claim.

sharp.jpg

sharp2.jpg

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Twenty years ago (or thereabouts) Sharp marketed what they called a 'digital' integrated amp. Class D with built in 1-bit DSD. Sporting a kind of Jet Jaguar Tokyo-modern aesthetic. Normally I'm not attracted to that sort of space-age design, but in this case I thought it was kind of interesting, and not unappealing.

Although it looked like a toy, the company wanted $15,000.00 for delivery, which certainly had to be a non-starter in the general hi-fi marketplace. That said, one thing it had going for it was that it looked just as cool upside down as right-side up. Few integrated amplifiers could make that claim.

View attachment 158988

View attachment 158989
I've never come across one of those before; I like it.

I can't read what I assume is Japanese, but it looks really nicely built: http://amp8.com/tr-amp/sharp/sm-sx100.htm

DanielT

Major Contributor
look guys, I'm not a egghead science major like some of you. I have a hard enough time remembering what a transistor does
Wikipedia, your and everyone else's friend:

A transistor is a semiconductor device used to amplify or switch electronic signals and electrical power. Transistors are one of the basic building blocks of modern electronics.[1] It is composed of semiconductor material usually with at least three terminals for connection to an external circuit. A voltage or current applied to one pair of the transistor's terminals controls the current through another pair of terminals. Because the controlled (output) power can be higher than the controlling (input) power, a transistor can amplify a signal

A class-D amplifier or switching amplifier is an electronic amplifier in which the amplifying devices (transistors, usually MOSFETs) operate as electronic switches, and not as linear gain devices as in other amplifiers. They operate by rapidly switching back and forth between the supply rails, being fed by a modulator using pulse width, pulse density, or related techniques to encode the audio input into a pulse train.

OP
G

Geezerman

Wikipedia, your and everyone else's friend:

A transistor is a semiconductor device used to amplify or switch electronic signals and electrical power. Transistors are one of the basic building blocks of modern electronics.[1] It is composed of semiconductor material usually with at least three terminals for connection to an external circuit. A voltage or current applied to one pair of the transistor's terminals controls the current through another pair of terminals. Because the controlled (output) power can be higher than the controlling (input) power, a transistor can amplify a signal

A class-D amplifier or switching amplifier is an electronic amplifier in which the amplifying devices (transistors, usually MOSFETs) operate as electronic switches, and not as linear gain devices as in other amplifiers. They operate by rapidly switching back and forth between the supply rails, being fed by a modulator using pulse width, pulse density, or related techniques to encode the audio input into a pulse train.

what's a mosfet? what's a rail?.linear gain devices ?.pulse width, pulse density, or related techniques to encode the audio input into a pulse train?..what
it's hard for me to keep it all straight with the fatigue of congestive heart failure . seriously

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never come across one of those before; I like it. I can't read what I assume is Japanese, but it looks really nicely built: http://amp8.com/tr-amp/sharp/sm-sx100.htm
At the time Sharp was known in the US (and still is) as a maker of microwave ovens, and other small appliances you'd find in a big box store. Earlier, in the '70s or so, they had a mid-level range of hi-fi gear, marketed under the Optonica name. I don't think there was much of anything to distinguish Optonica from any of the other more well-known Japanese makers. It was just 'there' on the dealer's shelf, taking space, and if it sold before Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz, et al it was no doubt because of a heady discount.

The idea of a digital ready Class D integrated amp that looked like something George Jetson might own, especially one selling for fifteen large, was something few consumers could relate to. It was simply one of those occasional 'scratch your head' sort of things you sometimes come across in life.

DanielT

Major Contributor
what's a mosfet? what's a rail?.linear gain devices ?.pulse width, pulse density, or related techniques to encode the audio input into a pulse train?..what
it's hard for me to keep it all straight with the fatigue of congestive heart failure . seriously
Well, if you want to learn, there is not much else to do but to read.

If you are not in the Matrix.:)

OP
G

Geezerman

Well, if you want to learn, there is not much else to do but to read.

If you are not in the Matrix.:)
I divide my life between pre heart attacks and post heart attacks, triple bypass, congestive heart failure, etc. . A world of difference in concentration and fatigue. A trip to the front door to get a 10 pound box can result in a two hour nap

EB1000

The term digital amp may only be referred to a class d amp with only digital input (direct PCM to PWM conversion, also known as a power DAC). Most class D amps are analog amps.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I divide my life between pre heart attacks and post heart attacks, triple bypass, congestive heart failure, etc. . A world of difference in concentration and fatigue. A trip to the front door to get a 10 pound box can result in a two hour nap
But why are you learning something that makes you stressed? Ignore learning the technical aspects of how amplifiers work. Listen to and enjoy music instead.:)

OP
G

Geezerman

But why are you learning something that makes you stressed? Ignore learning the technical aspects of how amplifiers work. Listen to and enjoy music instead.:)
I have no idea how a simple post that started this thread turned into the perception that i wanted to learn technical things. It was just a simple question

DanielT

Major Contributor
I do not know either.

Tip. I saw that this classic is online now.:)
If you want to read. Do not know if I would recommend it considering... . Uh hm this became difficult.

Or watch some Youtube videos?

Attachments

• 2021_10_14_19.19.26.jpg
    2021_10_14_19.19.26.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
OP
G

Geezerman

there is only so far I want to go into the technical area. I would rather scratch the surface and ask some simple questions like my first post, which was really just a curiosity. I find the music, movies , and general talk about amps and speakers to be just fine. I don't want to bog people down with asking tech questions that will probably frustrate them when I take a nap in mid sentence.
Now 35 years ago, I was an analyst at a bank, and I was pretty good at technical investigations.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then the main advantage of Class D and its improvement is this: High-power is available from small and lightweight packages.

The main improvements over the last decade or two have been the same as with previous amplifier topologies: Greater transparency, reduced distortion, abundant power, insensitivity to load, better self-protection, and greater efficiency. But even ten years ago, Class D amps were pretty good. Hypex's NCore technology came out in 2010.

Rick "300 watts/channel used to require a two-wheeled cart to carry around" Denney

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hypex UcD launched what, 10+ years ago? NCore is an iteration of that, so I would say not much has changed in 8 years. I agree with others that the biggest changes have come from lower prices making great amps affordable. It's probably the only reason I have one as I've never been bothered to spend a lot of money on amps external to my AVR.

Then again my comment may not apply here. I guess true "digital" amps would be the chip amps and those do seem to have improved quite a bit.

DanielT

Major Contributor
ask some simple questions like my first post, which was really just a curiosity.
Okay, your first post in the thread.Answer. Probably not. Then you should probably step up a little more,regarding amplifier. .How big an audible difference now it would make for you? I do not know.

Otherwise, if it's better sound you're after, put the gunpowder on the speakers and fix the acoustics in your listening room (if needed).:) In any case, I would have done that if I were in your situation.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

View attachment 158988

View attachment 158989
Heavy Star Trek aesthetic.

Top Bottom