• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

how much Dynamic Range audible in your environment? I was shocked...

flz

So I did this online test (linked below - free & no registration required). I did it in my normal listening room where street traffic is audible. It was difficult but still possible for me to hear 48 dB of range but at 54 dB, I was totally guessing. The implications on if I can hear a difference in better measuring equipment in my actual listening room is sobering. A DAC with a SINAD of 120 (or 110 or even 100 or even lower) may be totally wasted on me.

Blind testing a 54 dB Dynamic Range (audiocheck.net)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is frequency dependent. I’m sure at and above 1Khz you have at least 100 dB of dynamic range or your room really (painfully) sucks.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So I did this online test (linked below - free & no registration required). I did it in my normal listening room where street traffic is audible. It was difficult but still possible for me to hear 48 dB of range but at 54 dB, I was totally guessing. The implications on if I can hear a difference in better measuring equipment in my actual listening room is sobering. A DAC with a SINAD of 120 (or 110 or even 100 or even lower) may be totally wasted on me.

72dB for me... but using music I also reached the same conclusion about 30 years ago.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Ayre Codex sounded horrible to me, and that was at 68db of SINAD. I don't know what technically I was hearing, but it just sounded dull. With a Rogue tube amp, which probably had a SINAD of around 68, I struggled to make out some lyrics of songs I knew well. Was it the distortion? The noise floor? The whatchaamacallit? I dunno. I just know that if the distortion and other noise gets high enough, the music sounds bad to me.

Also, I heard these before I saw or even knew of measurements.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah frequency dependent as mentioned. And I've done various things like bury obnoxious tones at various levels among music. I came to similar conclusions as solderdude something in the mid 70's is about it unless I boost volume to something ear damaging. I posted those tones I think here a few years back and let others try. 70's or so was the most common answer.

I've always been struck by the image of something I read. You are standing a few dozen feet from a 747 ramping engines up to takeoff, and you can hear a leaf fluttering to the ground behind you at the same time. Think about that. That is about 120 db dynamic range. You can hear the engine, and in the right conditions you can hear the leaf. One in the midst of the other is ridiculous.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also reached the same conclusion about 15 years ago.
Why didn't you tell anyone, could have saved hundreds of man years?
0E576B38E8E24CECB6622CA350548E84.gif

62dB here right now, but it's busy right now, hope i can do better later.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Why didn't you tell anyone

30 years ago there was no internet. :)

About 30 years ago I wanted to know about dynamic range and built this attenuator which can be set to -120dB, see picture below.

atten
Reason for building it was the talk of the ‘limited’ dynamic range of the, then still rather new, CD technology which was said to be poor.
I wanted to find out about my own audible limits for dB levels for myself.

okaudio

I'll have to try this. My guess is in the 50-60db range later on at night.

Steve Rogers

48 on second system with adam monitors. cheap dac and some hearing loss + birds chirping away outside, its a great site BTW

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Yep. This is why I don't obsess about the last bits of dynamic range (including differences between vinyl and theoretical digital dynamic range), or low "noise" floors and all that.

I'm interested in changes I can actaully here in real world listening.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I find the article by @amirm to be very informative on this..

RandomEar

Yep. This is why I don't obsess about the last bits of dynamic range (including differences between vinyl and theoretical digital dynamic range), or low "noise" floors and all that.

I'm interested in changes I can actaully here in real world listening.
Agree mostly, but "low noise floor" is actually very important to me, as in my near field listening setup that leads to the most relevant audible defect of the system: Tweeter hiss. It's just annoying and fairly easy to eliminate, but you do need low noise/high DR devices in the audio chain to get rid of it.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
66, but it didn't change with aircon on, which raises my noise floor by 20+ db, so I have doubts about the usefulness of this test.

tvih

I listen at such relatively low volumes that huge dynamic range etc. is indeed mainly wasted even if there isn't any ambient noise, which there of course is - according to REW + Umik-1, about 36 dB(A) or 42 dB(C) right now. My listening listening level is generally max 85 dB at the peaks (often much less), and thus usually somewhere around 60 dB(C) or less average. Suffice to say at that normal listening volume I can't hear the noise even in the 42 dB dynamic range test. 36 dB I can hear just barely, knowing what to listen for - though should be a bit easier if I turn off my computer as it has started to make more fan noise than it used to for some reason. It used to be effectively completely silent at idle, but now it's easily audible even from the opposite side of the room, and my listening position is only half the room length away. Need to get it to be silent again.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen at such relatively low volumes that huge dynamic range etc. is indeed mainly wasted even if there isn't any ambient noise, which there of course is - according to REW + Umik-1, about 36 dB(A) or 42 dB(C) right now. My listening listening level is generally max 85 dB at the peaks (often much less), and thus usually somewhere around 60 dB(C) or less average. Suffice to say at that normal listening volume I can't hear the noise even in the 42 dB dynamic range test. 36 dB I can hear just barely, knowing what to listen for - though should be a bit easier if I turn off my computer as it has started to make more fan noise than it used to for some reason. It used to be effectively completely silent at idle, but now it's easily audible even from the opposite side of the room, and my listening position is only half the room length away. Need to get it to be silent again.
Replace the fans with some of the Noctua brand fans. They are the quietest I'm aware of and not too expensive. Be Quiet Silent Wing fans are considered almost as good, but I've not heard any of them.

MattJ

Optimally, ie; no dishwasher/clothes dryer/refrigerator/HVAC/neighbor's lawn mower etc running, I get about 73dB range. With any of the previous, it's more like 45-50dB. Although a lot of the music I listen to may only have a 10-20dB range, so.......

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
though should be a bit easier if I turn off my computer as it has started to make more fan noise than it used to for some reason. It used to be effectively completely silent at idle, but now it's easily audible even from the opposite side of the room, and my listening position is only half the room length away. Need to get it to be silent again.
The most likely culprits:
1. Dust buildup. Smoking environments are particularly nasty. Pay particular attention to the areas between fans and heatsinks as well as dust filters.
2. Bad fan bearings. Sleeve bearing fans just do not hold up when operated in a horizontal position.
3. Thermal paste that has dried out and gone hard as a rock.
4. Rogue software that is putting load on the system.

Some of the most useful Windows tools for diagnosing such issues are HWMonitor and the trusty Task Manager (once you have exited the factory default Dumb User Mode).

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

Dacs with SINAD of 120 or 110 are "totally wasted" on any human being. The audibility thresholds for this stuff are reasonably well-understood. If your system is giving you 80 or 90dbs of clean range you are good to go. Dacs (and amps really) are essentially solved problems. Once you have basically perfect performance in an audible sense at even the very low end of the price range you have to look for some other way to distinguish one item from another. If I'm looking for a DAC, and I have five to choose from in my price range and they all have the features I need and they all seem to be pretty well put together and they all meet my desires as far as design style...well then if one of them happens to have 120db sinad while the others are all 110db I might as well go for the 120db one. I won't hear any difference but whatever right?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dacs with SINAD of 120 or 110 are "totally wasted" on any human being. The audibility thresholds for this stuff are reasonably well-understood. If your system is giving you 80 or 90dbs of clean range you are good to go. Dacs (and amps really) are essentially solved problems. Once you have basically perfect performance in an audible sense at even the very low end of the price range you have to look for some other way to distinguish one item from another. If I'm looking for a DAC, and I have five to choose from in my price range and they all have the features I need and they all seem to be pretty well put together and they all meet my desires as far as design style...well then if one of them happens to have 120db sinad while the others are all 110db I might as well go for the 120db one. I won't hear any difference but whatever right?

As mentioned previously by @RandomEar DACs with decent dynamic range (I'll define that as > 110 dB at 2 V output) are very important if you care about tweeter hiss and use digital volume control. It's not very difficult to hear tweeter hiss with a ~100 dB dynamic range at 2 V output even when using relatively low noise Hypex amplifiers if you have a decently sensitive (~90 dB @ 2.83 V) unpadded tweeter.

As you mention this level of performance is easy to come by these days and I agree that features / design are far more important than SINAD bragging rights, just pointing out that there are quite audible reasons for choosing a DAC with decent dynamic range.

Michael

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
As mentioned previously by @RandomEar DACs with decent dynamic range (I'll define that as > 110 dB at 2 V output) are very important if you care about tweeter hiss and use digital volume control. It's not very difficult to hear tweeter hiss with a ~100 dB dynamic range at 2 V output even when using relatively low noise Hypex amplifiers if you have a decently sensitive (~90 dB @ 2.83 V) unpadded tweeter.

As you mention this level of performance is easy to come by these days and I agree that features / design are far more important than SINAD bragging rights, just pointing out that there are quite audible reasons for choosing a DAC with decent dynamic range.

Michael

you're saying you can hear tweeter hiss while music is playing when you have anything under 110db sinad? (for myself, as a general rule I would work to eliminate any tweeter hiss anyway)

Top Bottom