• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

How much dose preamp matter?

Hallo, my father recently bought a primare a32 amplifier and is searching now for an preamp to it.

We asked around what would be best and got 3 answers, the original preamp bundled with our amplifier, Vincent pre amp and Yamaha wxc-50.

Since all these products have different price tags. My question is. How much do a good pre amp cost and how to match one with my father's amplifer?

Blumlein 88

Major Contributor
You'll want one with low output impedance as the amp has a little lower input impedance than usual. Not hard to find this. You don't need too much gain from it. The big thing is probably features. The Primare pre has lots of useful capabilities and features. You could get a nice sounding pre for less money, but not with all those handy features. So is the convenience of all the inputs, the streaming and all of that important to your father? I'd want at least a pre with xlr connections since the amp has them.

andreasmaaan

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
What do you want your preamp to do? Or in other words, what will be connected to it upstream and how will you use it?

You'll want one with low output impedance as the amp has a little lower input impedance than usual. Not hard to find this. You don't need too much gain from it. The big thing is probably features. The Primare pre has lots of useful capabilities and features. You could get a nice sounding pre for less money, but not with all those handy features. So is the convenience of all the inputs, the streaming and all of that important to your father? I'd want at least a pre with xlr connections since the amp has them.
The features meaning has a lot to do with the price. We buy mostly our products second hand to get the best price/performance ratio. Currently he is using a Squeezbox Touch to listen to internat radio and stream music from his NAS, if possible it could be cool to connect the preamp to an receiver so the rear speakers are driven from the amplifier. Thats his favorite features.

Or a DAC with volume control if analogue inputs are unnecessary? That is what I did to replace an older pre amp with losts of analogue inputs but no digital ones.
Will these volume controls be as good as in a pre amp? We tried to use volume control in our squeezbox Touch and the sound quality dropped significantly as soon as we drop the volume form 100, same experience happen to me with KTB and RPi.

What do you want your preamp to do? Or in other words, what will be connected to it upstream and how will you use it?
Controlling the Volume, begin able to connect it to a receiver and using it with Squeezbox touch. If there are any cheap and good preamps with a DAC that would be awesome but again the price/performance ration depends if its that much needed.

I would suggest a USB DAC with volume control and XLR output. You should also install EDO on the Touch.

Willem

But if you are not using analogue sources you do not even need a pre amp. You can use a DAC with its own volume control, or use an external volume control like the now discontinued Emotiva Control Freak.

Top Bottom