• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much does your main stereo system cost?

How much does your main sound system cost?

• Less than 500 euros / dollars

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Between 500 and 1000 euros / dollars

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Between 1000 and 1500 euros / dollars

Votes: 18 7.4%
  • Between 1500 and 2500 euros / dollars

Votes: 29 12.0%
  • Between 2500 and 4000 euros / dollars

Votes: 34 14.0%
  • Between 4000 and 6000 euros / dollars

Votes: 41 16.9%
  • Between 6000 and 10,000 euros / dollars

Votes: 35 14.5%
  • Between 10,000 and 20,000 euros / dollars

Votes: 41 16.9%
  • Between 20,000 and 50,000 euros / dollars

Votes: 18 7.4%
  • Over 50,000 euros / dollars

Votes: 9 3.7%

• Total voters

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How much did you pay for your main stereos? (no multichannel)
The sum must consider everything, speakers, amplifier, dac, any CD players, network streamers, turntables, also speaker cables, signal cables, etc.
I would keep out the PCs / phones / tablets that are used as a source.
I am curious to know how the curve is distributed among the users of ASR.
at a guess I expect a peak between 1500 and 5000 approximately

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
What if your “main system” Is also your home theater?
.Clearly a home theater has a lot more components, in this case I would say that one could consider the cost of the avr / power amp and the front speakers.

Cleankut

Got my stereo system 17 years ago, still works and looks brand new. H/K 3480 receiver and H/K PA2000 AMP used to Bi-amp Axiom M80's.

Bleib

Major Contributor
DAC: 220e
Amp: 350e
Loudspeakers: 1800e
Cables: Not much (less than 50e)
Speaker stands: 60e

Different if I use the Denon AVR...

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
What if I also include all the costs of upgrading over the years and how to value DIY gear ?
Updates do not matter, only the value of the components you use now matters, if you had something else before it doesn't matter.
for the DIY I guess you can consider the cost of the components used.
It is not an estimate of the value of the system but only of the cost.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I also use JK Acoustics monoblocks which I got for free (had to repair them, had been in a fire) which were somewhere near € 1.5k each but cost me nothing.
All in all my system (all DIY except for some power amps) cost me not much but the value is much higher than the cost.
It will skew the results.

Also I don't really want to know what it all has cost me over the years to get to the system I have now from over the last 40 years.
If I'd save the money and buy a system at once now it could have costed a small fortune.... :)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about inflation? I have some speakers that cost something like $6500, but I've owned them a long time. Current price would be something like $15,000. In fact I purchased them when a couple years old for less.

Reactions: jgm

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about inflation? I have some speakers that cost something like $6500, but I've owned them a long time. Current price would be something like $15,000. In fact I purchased them when a couple years old for less.
The title says "how much did you pay". So really it's a test of "who is the savviest shopper".

Would make more sense if it were how much everything cost when new. Otherwise you are getting into "current value" prices and that is a quagmire because you have to consider the used market, depreciation, etc, and it's not really answering the question.

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
I also use JK Acoustics monoblocks which I got for free (had to repair them, had been in a fire) which were somewhere near € 1.5k each but cost me nothing.
All in all my system (all DIY except for some power amps) cost me not much but the value is much higher than the cost.
It will skew the results.

Also I don't really want to know what it all has cost me over the years to get to the system I have now from over the last 40 years.
If I'd save the money and buy a system at once now it could have costed a small fortune.... :)
For example, I considered the price of some used components exactly what I paid for them. A denon DVD player that I use as a CD player, which I paid 40neuro but which new maybe cost 300 in his time. However, if those monoblocks were given to you and you repaired them, you could consider the used price, something like 50% of the new one.
I repeat it is more an evaluation on the cost of our systems, not on their economic value nor on their musical value.

OP
Talisman

Talisman

Forum Donor
If you think it is more comparable, you could update the cost you incurred to inflation and put that value.
Again, it is nothing to do with the value of a system or its quality, it is something that has more to do with us and how much money we have spent on our system.
If a person were given a 1,000,000 euro stereo system as a gift, he would have to enter "less than 500 euro" because this is the amount he SPENT.

SDC

Main without surround and sub is 8351 with cheap behringer interface.

But I can call salon2 main just to increase the price tag:p

Waxx

Major Contributor
My main system is mainly diy so hard to value.

as source:
pc (not counted) with Cambridge DacMagic100 dac (150€)
Technics (SL1500 MKI) (second hand but mint) with AT-VM95EN as cel (total cost about 350€)
Cambridge CP2 phono stage (200€)
heavy modded chinese Nobosound tube preamp: bought it for 150€ and put an other 50€ on parts and a lot of hours in it.
DIY Audio Pass ACA amps in bridge mode: about 700€ (for a pair) for the buy and import to europe. And a lot of hours assembling it.
DIY speakers: about 600€ in parts and a lot of hours designing and building it.
Cabling (mosty diy) about 100€ in total i think.

Total cost: +/- 2300€ + a lot of hours working and thinking.

Second rig, connected to the same preamp in the same room

Prima Luna Prologue 4 tube amp (bought it much cheaper in a private stock sale from the brand owner that i know, not allowed to say what i paid) but official sale price was 2300€
DIY speakers: about 400€ in parts and a lot of hours designing and building it.

So in my living room aka music room there is about 5K€ of equipment. In the rest of the house there is much more i have to say...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I went from a ( nominal ) £300k , horns loads of boxes ( valves what rubbish) to a pair of speakers, admittedly not inexpensive speakers at 1/20th of the cost.
Far far better sound quality.
Keith

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Top Bottom