• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much do you think these might be?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are they splash proof & wipe clean? They would get trashed in our kitchen.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll take the fruit bowl with real fruits instead. Thank you.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Too too much I'm positive.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I referenced these yesterday on another thread. I'm sure they sound crude.

I love how Wilson refers to its "Special Applications Engineering team," as though a tiny company has a separate building where they conceive of questionably engineered small speakers.

There are other odd things about their marketing, including the Wilsons' statements about going to Vienna to hear performances in the Konzerthaus. The Wilsons claim that, at the Konzerthaus, they somehow were inspired to do more "time alignment" in their speakers. The Konzerthaus is not at all a renowned acoustic; the Wilsons apparently confused it with the Musikverein.

I'm sorry to be unkind, as the Wilsons seem like nice people. But the prices are obscene, and these products deserve to be revealed for what they are.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
So others have written, I still think £3k would be a fair price :)
So you think it's pretty much the same labour and materials as this? (£2678). I know which one I'd rather have a go at building, DIY :)
yamaha-b1-upright-piano-polished-ebony-p26096-38383_image.jpg

I also know which one I'd rather own.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So you think it's pretty much the same labour and materials as this? (£2678). I know which one I'd rather have a go at building, DIY :)
yamaha-b1-upright-piano-polished-ebony-p26096-38383_image.jpg

I also know which one I'd rather own.
That is why I specified made in small numbers using a hard to assemble cabinet. The Yamaha will have had a fortune spent on tooling to make the BOM cheaper. The most expensive bit on it will probably be the paint.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I suppose even the direct $ to £ pricing no longer raises an eyebrow.
Keith

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose even the direct $ to £ pricing no longer raises an eyebrow.
Keith
Well it has done from time to time but at present it represents 12% over the VAT included difference, is that unreasonable for shipping and margin? I do remember when the French importer was charging a reasonable price, other distributors complained to Wilson and he lost his distributorship, just after building a custom listening room for the then new Grand SLAMM. I bought my Goldmund speakers, which I much preferred, there.

cjfrbw

"There are other odd things about their marketing, including the Wilsons' statements about going to Vienna to hear performances in the Konzerthaus. The Wilsons claim that, at the Konzerthaus, they somehow were inspired to do more "time alignment" in their speakers. The Konzerthaus is not at all a renowned acoustic; the Wilsons apparently confused it with the Musikverein."

I think Konzerthaus may also be the venue for one of the Yamaha surround modes "Vienna Concert Hall". I also laughed at the "pondering" by Wilson at the concert venue, since he is talking about modifying two channel sound by listening to a complete acoustic environment, two entirely different birds that really have no comparison.

One of my favored surround modes in the Yamaha is the Amsterdam Concertgebouw.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I just want to know if they are wireless and battery or solar powered.

No wires?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
David Wilson passed away on Saturday.

I hope we can set aside our disagreements with Wilson Audio's design ethos for a period of time to remember that David Wilson was by all accounts a deeply nice and decent man and a successful entrepreneur.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Agreed. Absolutely

Top Bottom