• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much better is the KEF LS50 Wireless 2 vs 1 (In terms of pure sound quality)

dan2021

I'm interested to find out about this as I was thinking of getting a pair of LSxs but have heard that the version 2 of those will be out in a couple of months.

As such, I'm keen to find out what kind of audio quality improvement I can expect if I wait for the version 2s.

I'm asking for input here purely on the difference in sound quality (I already know the significant improvements made to the app and general user experience)

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The LS50W-II is based on the LS50 Meta (Passive - 12th gen Uni-Q driver).
So I assume that is where the subtle sound quality improvements are.
Other than that I read it gets AirPlay 2 and has slightly more amplifier power, don’t think the LS50W really needed more power, and Roon something something?

Regarding the LSX vs LSX-II?
LSX already has AirPlay 2 and uses a 4.5-inch version of the Uni-Q driver so not sure if KEF will give it the “Meta-material” treatment.
Maybe they will who knows, and Roon something something??

Either get the last generation, or pay up for the latest and greatest.
Its your choice.

PS: I heard some had long term issues with the internal electronics of the original LS50W.
The experience of getting it fixed by KEF was apparently trouble free, but it’s something to think about long-term.
(Also your support experience may depend on your country of purchase)

Last edited:

zorak950

Assuming that the margin of improvement on the LS50W will correlate to the LSX is pure speculation, so I'd caution you there. Also, the LSX has the virtue of actually being available. With all the shortages that may not be true of an LSX2 for quite some time, even if it they do launch it this year.

I have heard both the LS50W and the LS50W2, but in entirely different settings and over a year apart, so my comparison should be taken in that context. I think the W2 is better, but it's an evolution, not a revolution. The new app, however, should not be glazed over: the app is your portal to setting up, tweaking, and using your wireless speakers. The KEF Connect app is a significant improvement over the KEF Control and KEF Stream apps that you'll need for the first generation products and makes a big positive difference to the user experience.

In short, if I have to confine my comparison to audio quality I'd say there's no great reason not to take a hot deal on the first gen. As a complete product, though? The UX improvements alone are worth a few hundred bucks IMO, and if Google Cast means anything to you that's even more argument in favor of the second gen. Enhanced Roon support is also supposedly coming to the W2 platform, though KEF has provided no timetable for that so I wouldn't make a purchasing decision based on it.

JohnnyHonda

Forum Donor
I owned the original Wireless and currently own the Wireless II. I really enjoyed the original Wireless with pristine and clear sound, with excellent width of imaging and reasonable bass that I extended through an SVS SB3000 subwoofer through the KEF app, using their digital crossover. The imaging of the speakers was quite good, the digital time delay of the concentric speaker really doing its work. I really enjoyed the sound but it took some time to tame the high frequencies. Primarily, I angled the speakers a bit straight ahead which took advantage of their improved frequency response slightly off-axis as it relates to the high frequencies. Sometimes, I would cut the high frequencies by 0.5 db to tame the edge. The KEF app was frustrating, to say the least, and the stability was the worst part of this experience. I did enjoy the digital app to integrate the subwoofer and the Wireless, quick and seemless. The speakers would go fairly loud but compressed a bit at headbanging levels. My room is 12 x 21 x 9, not too bright or dark, with bass traps, absorption behind and to the side of the speakers and GIK diffusion/absorption panels on the back wall and on my ceiling.

The KEF LS50 Wireless ii’s have exceeded my good but realistic expectations. 1) The app has not caused me any problems, much more stable as the original app was so unstable 2) The high frequencies are sooo smooth that the speaker sounds different, and better. Gone is the edge. The speakers are still clear but with a different smoothness than the sharp clarity of the original. I like clear highs but dislike the edge, so this is quite a relief. The smoothness of frequency, on-axis, off-axis is so good. 3) The extra power just gives the speakers more life and less compression, just sounds more like real instruments and voices 4) The imaging of the original was great but these are even better! There is more depth and instead of the images being as pointed, they seem to be more round with space. Even listening off-axis, the imaging is definitely better. 5) Being a Tidal user, I like the MQA compatibility.

If you like bass, I can’t recommend high enough the SVS SB3000, I cross them over at 75hz. My highest recommendation for rooms of a moderate size.

Darwin

This isn’t answering the question but I have to say my experience with the original wireless was not good. They died on me multiple times and I had to send them to Kef at my expense plus Kef customer service was terrible. Never again. You will see many others with the same complaint.

JohnnyHonda

Forum Donor
Agree with Darwin that the original app was buggy. I had to reboot the system many times…

The Wireless II app has worked well, no issues.

RoA

Wireless II owner. Great app, great speaker for the money. Vastly superior over the LSX in every aspect soundwise, not unexpected.

I was curious what twice the cost would bring and bought some B&W Formation Duo's (with Formation Audio Hub).

They are better in many (but not all) ways and a keeper for the moment but I still have the Wireless II's and they are staying too (for the moment).

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what’s the process for integrating a sub? I had the LS50W and it had a coaxial out for the sub and a crossover.

If i’m not mistaken it also had time delay.

So is everyone phase/time correcting it manually from the listening position?

The HDMI input is a life saver however I wish it could convert to coaxial and allow that to go to a MiniDSP and then coaxial input to allow the processed signal back in.

I wish it had a parametric EQ built in so advanced users could just type in the values they want.

I used Roon with mine but realized that it doesn’t work for me overall.

It would be a shame to have HDMI built in but buying a Blusound Node just to convert HDMI to coaxial for processing.

I guess PC -> REW -> HDMI is an option. But one would be limited to PC sources.

ishtiaq

I owned the original Wireless and currently own the Wireless II. I really enjoyed the original Wireless with pristine and clear sound, with excellent width of imaging and reasonable bass that I extended through an SVS SB3000 subwoofer through the KEF app, using their digital crossover. The imaging of the speakers was quite good, the digital time delay of the concentric speaker really doing its work. I really enjoyed the sound but it took some time to tame the high frequencies. Primarily, I angled the speakers a bit straight ahead which took advantage of their improved frequency response slightly off-axis as it relates to the high frequencies. Sometimes, I would cut the high frequencies by 0.5 db to tame the edge. The KEF app was frustrating, to say the least, and the stability was the worst part of this experience. I did enjoy the digital app to integrate the subwoofer and the Wireless, quick and seemless. The speakers would go fairly loud but compressed a bit at headbanging levels. My room is 12 x 21 x 9, not too bright or dark, with bass traps, absorption behind and to the side of the speakers and GIK diffusion/absorption panels on the back wall and on my ceiling.

The KEF LS50 Wireless ii’s have exceeded my good but realistic expectations. 1) The app has not caused me any problems, much more stable as the original app was so unstable 2) The high frequencies are sooo smooth that the speaker sounds different, and better. Gone is the edge. The speakers are still clear but with a different smoothness than the sharp clarity of the original. I like clear highs but dislike the edge, so this is quite a relief. The smoothness of frequency, on-axis, off-axis is so good. 3) The extra power just gives the speakers more life and less compression, just sounds more like real instruments and voices 4) The imaging of the original was great but these are even better! There is more depth and instead of the images being as pointed, they seem to be more round with space. Even listening off-axis, the imaging is definitely better. 5) Being a Tidal user, I like the MQA compatibility.

If you like bass, I can’t recommend high enough the SVS SB3000, I cross them over at 75hz. My highest recommendation for rooms of a moderate size.
Why not the QC60 subW of Kef ? What thrills more on the SVS SB3000 ? Please share your views.

ishtiaq

If you like bass, I can’t recommend high enough the SVS SB3000, I cross them over at 75hz. My highest recommendation for rooms of a moderate size

JohnnyHonda

Forum Donor
If you mean the KC62, it wasn’t considered as it wasn’t available when I purchased the SVS3000. I can handle the larger size, so I would still buy the SVS3000 for the greater output and the SVS app is quite good. If is didn’t have the space, the KC62 looks nice.

Top Bottom