• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much better are updated and revised speakers in a particular series?

NewbieAudiophileExpert

So we are all familiar with the idea of a company bringing out a 'new' iteration or version of a particular product, be it an iPhone, iPad, or a new speaker from say Wharfedale's Diamond series.

Now it's obvious that most mobile phones are actually upgraded and their features are improved - except for somethings, like companies not including a microsd card slot in their phones.

But when it comes to speakers, are they always 'improved'? What's there to improve anyway? Let's look at the Wharfedale Diamond series as an exemplar. How much better is the 12 series to the 11, and that to the 10, and then the 9 series...?

How much better is the top tier diamond series 12.4 than the 'old fashioned' diamond 10.7 which has 4 speaker drivers vs the 12.4's tweeter and two woofers?

They end up selling these speakers for cheap once the cycle is coming to an end, i.e. some people may have purchased cheap diamond series 11s on sale recently (last year, etc).

Let me know what your thoughts are though.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
unless the company anounces the differences or a reviewer figures them out there is no information to go by.

itz_all_about_the_music

So we are all familiar with the idea of a company bringing out a 'new' iteration or version of a particular product, be it an iPhone, iPad, or a new speaker from say Wharfedale's Diamond series.

Now it's obvious that most mobile phones are actually upgraded and their features are improved - except for somethings, like companies not including a microsd card slot in their phones.

But when it comes to speakers, are they always 'improved'? What's there to improve anyway? Let's look at the Wharfedale Diamond series as an exemplar. How much better is the 12 series to the 11, and that to the 10, and then the 9 series...?

How much better is the top tier diamond series 12.4 than the 'old fashioned' diamond 10.7 which has 4 speaker drivers vs the 12.4's tweeter and two woofers?

They end up selling these speakers for cheap once the cycle is coming to an end, i.e. some people may have purchased cheap diamond series 11s on sale recently (last year, etc).

Let me know what your thoughts are though.
I Googled on "Marketing 101" and got 762,000,000 hits. Take your pick for some answers to your very valid question.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Updates may relate to changes in parts availability or improvements/changes made by suppliers. So, while the speakers are updated, they may not be notably different. Similar to when the iPhone improves its water resistance or the strength of its glass. Or the company changes suppliers to realize efficiencies, and it has to update speakers. Plus, in doing so, it forces some people to upgrade. That is good for business even if it doesn't provide a notably different experience.

Obviously, companies do figure out how to improve their products and make those changes too. Those are typically more obvious -- different driver sizes, materials, cabinet changes, etc.

But you are correct, it isn't always clear who is benefitting from the update. Is it the company benefitting from efficiencies? Or is it the customer benefitting from a better product? Or is it both benefitting from economies in production?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Like "New Coke?"

Yeah, there are a million reasons...

It could be a legitimate improvement

If it's part availability or part cost the new version could be a downgrade, but the manufacturer will always say, "New and improved".

Also, nobody is going to review your 2-year old product. Unless your product gets an exceptional reputation, nobody is going to talk about your product. So every couple of years it's time for a new product and a press release.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best way to judge this is with companies that have themselves consistently published measurements of their speakers over many years. This is the case with Klein+Hummel/Neumann, probably also Genelec and maybe some others. Here, for example, are the differences between the K+H O300 and it´s successor, the Neumann KH310 (sadly i did not find graphs of the O198 anymore since they depublished their web-archive):

1654274350349.png
1654274400463.png

1654274364943.png
1654274426439.png

1654274324540.png

1654274462175.png
1654274480545.png

As you can see, most significant difference in this example is the better bass capability of the 310 compared to the 300. Also, the midrange dome has been improved and FR and directivity is slightly better.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Better for whom? The Consumer, the shipper, the Distributor, the Dealer and the Sales guy, the manufacturing plant, the Designer, or the OEM? So many reasons to introduce a new improved product. Improved for who is the real question. Just making a wild ass guess here, but I bet the Consumer comes out short in this calculation.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Better for whom? The Consumer, the shipper, the Distributor, the Dealer and the Sales guy, the manufacturing plant, the Designer, or the OEM? So many reasons to introduce a new improved product. Improved for who is the real question. Just making a wild ass guess here, but I bet the Consumer comes out short in this calculation.
I noticed that the electronics have decreased in quality and substance but with speakers generally each new model is a improvement. At least that's the way it was when I was selling and servicing gear and I had access to many models to test drive and try.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
The newer Klipsch bookies just seem to have a bit different response, they can clear old stock on sale and start hyping these new ones at a higher price when they're still pretty similar.

steve59

Major Contributor
You bring up a topic not really examined here. Generally each line has a price point and cabinets get more robust, drivers get stiffer materials, bigger budget for xover, etc with the end result being higher resolution, tighter tolerances and even matching veneers for real wood boxes. In my experience the more exotic drivers(speakers) are less efficient and require better source components to react their design goals being greater transparency and higher resolution. I've asked on a few different threads here what measurements define transparency, resolution and imaging and so far I haven't gotten one.

Top Bottom