• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much amplifier power is required ... for surround?

Vasr

Major Contributor
This is a sister thread to the earlier thread on how much amplifier power is needed for mains. Didn't want to mix the two as the requirements are different.

I have to just shake my head when people talk about powering their surround and Atmos speakers with 300w+ separates (separate from the mains even) that cost in the thousands. I am not talking about people in mansions with 50ft ceilings. Or extremely inefficient speakers (most surround and height speakers are not inefficient).

Has the emergence of relatively cheaper power created an unnecessary power inflation/expectation?

I was looking for a multi-channel amp for surrounds recently but needed it in a slim form factor. I am trying to separate out from an AVR upgrading into surround+mains separates to do both music and HT very well with equal use. I feel all-in-one AVRs are too compromised for this after having used them for a decade.

There are a few slim-factor multi-channel amps but they don't get good reviews because they are measured by the same criterion for main, so most recommended ones tend to be big or you need to stack up a lot of stereo and mono blocks.

Seems like Class D is most suitable for this purpose but I see more emphasis on power there as well perhaps as bragging rights. Why would a multi-channel amp for surround need separate power supplies for each channel?

Are there other factors more important like transient response, damping factors, etc., that affect HT experience from the surrounds?

(Yes, I note that people who listen to surround music may not make that much of a differentiation between mains and surrounds).

Top Bottom