• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Mayht, a small startup, is taking on the world of speaker goliaths. Interesting new design for Speaker mechanics.

audio2design

Major Contributor
I'm having a rudimentary concept problem: each membrane is driven from two "corners" in the array?

How does this avoid bell modes?

I would be very curious to see efficiency figures.

I thought there was 4 coils, one on each corner.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought there was 4 coils, one on each corner.
Seems like 2 for each side. I don’t think the contact point of cone is the edge though. It seems as is there is a leaver going to the midpoint of the cone.

komhst

mSpot

You're right about the non pistonic movement if you watch the video in slow motion.
@voodooless pointed out that it may be a rolling shutter effect. During video recording, each frame is captured by scanning rows, top to bottom. The speaker diaphragm moved slightly between each row scan.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I fail to see how they have solved the air pressure issue. The two diaphram is moving outwards at the same time, if we assume the air in the duct will be in phase with the front diaphram as they have showed, then the air stiffness still affect the driver. To solve the air pressure issue, plus be able to put into small enclosure, I would assume the two diaphrams need be out of phase to each other.

bigjacko

After thinking about the design for a bit, I don't know if the 4 poles are motors or not. Not sure if the space can allow magnets and voice coils inside. If not in the poles then the voice coil should be under the two diaphrams, not sure if seperated magnets for two diaphrams or same magnet for two diaphrams. The first gif on technology section shows nothing in between two diaphrams.

The fourth gif shows there are springs at the poles, not sure if those are the only components working as spider. They do claim very linear Kms, I am not experienced enough to know if normal metal springs are more linear than cloth spiders. The sliding mechanism will likely create noise if they are centered using metal, not cloth like other manufacturers.

The only thing they have not solved is surround issue. With small cone area and high excursion, the surround will make radiating area different for going outwards and inwards.

mSpot

After thinking about the design for a bit, I don't know if the 4 poles are motors or not. Not sure if the space can allow magnets and voice coils inside. If not in the poles then the voice coil should be under the two diaphrams, not sure if seperated magnets for two diaphrams or same magnet for two diaphrams. The first gif on technology section shows nothing in between two diaphrams.

The fourth gif shows there are springs at the poles, not sure if those are the only components working as spider. They do claim very linear Kms, I am not experienced enough to know if normal metal springs are more linear than cloth spiders. The sliding mechanism will likely create noise if they are centered using metal, not cloth like other manufacturers.

The only thing they have not solved is surround issue. With small cone area and high excursion, the surround will make radiating area different for going outwards and inwards.
They are further along in development than you think. See Billboard Magazine's report from CES 2022:
https://www.billboard.com/business/tech/best-ces-awards-2022-consumer-electronics-show-1235016143/

bigjacko

generalguy

staring at this it strikes me as a "quadrupole" equivalent of the Kef "dipole" setup but we'll have to see if sonos ships these drivers

Top Bottom