• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Mayht, a small startup, is taking on the world of speaker goliaths. Interesting new design for Speaker mechanics.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Last edited:

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Curious device. Maybe for BT portables. A lot of hocus pocus on their site though.
At least someone is thinking. We'll see how they progress.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Hmmm :rolleyes: they say “Any size Heartmotion driver can be compared to a much larger driver when it comes to maximum sound pressure level. A 3.5 inch diameter Heartmotion driver has the same output as a conventional 8 inch diameter driver. A 1.5 inch Heartmotion driver has the same output as a conventional 3.5 inch. It's all because of incredibly high air displacement (membrane excursion x membrane areas)”

Mayht website here with dubious claims

mSpot

Interesting design. They are using opposing dipole drivers and porting the space between them to maximize the sound pressure output. You can do the same using conventional drivers, but their creative idea is to reconfigure the voice coils for a much more compact design.

I would be concerned about sound quality and level of distortion. If you watch this mp4 on Chrome browser, the player has a playback speed control and you can watch it at 0.25x speed. The diaphragm shows a very non-pistonic motion at 0:10-0:14.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on their main claim, which is sound pressure output level.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Its a Dutch company.
I might drop by there one day (40 mins drive)

Looks like a crossing of Devialet but having 2 voicecoils on each corner of the membrane having a very long stroke.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Their website says measurements are available upon request, under an NDA.

Yes i did read.But i not understand why measurements should be under an NDA. I mean we not talk about the blast of a new nuclear bomb. Or lets say it the other way. If they not show there measurements proud, and open iam a natural sceptic.

Last edited:

mSpot

Yes i did read.But i not understand why measurements should be under an NDA. I mean we not talk about the blast of a new nuclear bomb. Or lets say it the other way. If they not show there measurements proud, and open iam a natural sceptic.
They are not trying to convince you. What they really want is discussion with potential OEM partners. NDA is a fairly common practice for more information about a product that is still in development and hasn't been released yet.

Note that they said: All data is available for b-to-b customers under NDA upon request.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Its a Dutch company.
I might drop by there one day (40 mins drive)
That would actually be cool to do a more tech-minded in-depth interview for ASR and have it posted on the main page.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Probably something for when Covid is less severe. Somewhere in the summer. Most likely I have forgotten it by then. :(

tomtoo

Major Contributor
They are not trying to convince you. What they really want is discussion with potential OEM partners. NDA is a fairly common practice for more information about a product that is still in development and hasn't been released yet.

Note that they said: All data is available for b-to-b customers under NDA upon request.

So lets see whats the outcome.

mSpot

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if the product needs DSP (like Devialet). Usually needed when pushing size constraints.

They claim extraordinary high efficiency, so that could mean deep extension and little boost needed.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Looking at their comparison between their 3.5" = single 8". They appear to have a smaller surround, so a lot more of the surface area is radiating. If they can achieve twice the linear travel with their 3.5 as a typical 8", then they can match the volume output. I guess we are going to have to start having those doppler discussions again. They do claim very low distortion.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm having a rudimentary concept problem: each membrane is driven from two "corners" in the array?

How does this avoid bell modes?

I would be very curious to see efficiency figures.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Looks like an expensive toy for the style-conscious to me.

Why, yes... I am a grumpy old man! Why do you ask? ;)

fetchimage

Top Bottom