• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many subs are you using and how big are they?

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Four subs, two sealed and two ported.

The ported subs are 20Hz capable and LPF @ 40Hz. The sealed (2x8" and 4x8") subs handle 40Hz - 80Hz and start to roll off naturally below 40Hz. Integrating four subs into one is accomplished using Multi-Sub Optimizer and two QSC DSP-4.

The result is tight, musical bass with extension down to 20Hz for movies.
Would love to hear more about how you integrated ported and sealed subs, and any challenges, as that's an alternate option I have my in-progress room.

You're taking the opposite approach in terms of coverage for sealed vs. ported as I would be exploring, but still interested.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of Reaction Audio Echo 15 subs in my home theater / family room setup. (I may have received the last pair Jeremy shipped before he folded.) No subs in my stereo system; my Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversaries play deep with authority.

Martin

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
8 cubic feet seems small to fit four 18" drivers. How are they arranged?
Four drivers, four enclosures. Two are in the left front corner of the room and two are in the right front corner of the room and these operate in stereo.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nyal Mellor (Acoustic Frontiers) did the room layout and acoustic treatment design.

The dedicated room is ~20’ x 30’ x 8.75’ (three out of four walls and the floor are concrete), and will see 85-90% two channel music use. Therefore, the room design objectives are, in order of priority:

1) 2.1 channel listening (JBL M2 for LCRs)—2-channel performance was not to be compromised for any other objectives
2) Front projection Video performance (JVC NZ9 and Electric drop down 143” diagonal 16:9 ST130 G4 screen)
3) Atmos Surround sound performance (JBL SCL-7/SCL-5s)
…And a distant 4th objective was appearance

The L/R M2s will be on a rail system to slide them effortlessly and precisely between the optimal 2-channel position, and the 9.1.6 position.

EQ will be provided by the JBL-SDP 75 (i.e. Trinnov room correction), supplemented with a mini-DSP for sub/infra-sub crossover and the onboard EQ of the Crown Itech 5000HDs, DCI series, and 4x3500HD amps powering the system.

Room treatment is extensive:

-Walls and ceilings use isolation tracks, sound break board, green glue, double walls, etc., with the idea that track system will allow a measure of flex to damp low frequency resonances while providing noise isolation where needed.
-The entire front and rear walls have false walls to act as site built bass traps with closely spaced wood slats to preserve mid/high frequency energy in the room
-The back half of the room is a riser and engineered as a bass trap
-The rest of the treatments are a combination absorption and diffusion based on Nyal’s modeling of the room to optimize acoustic performance
Thanks for sharing... fantastic process and result I am sure.

Tom C

Major Contributor
is there any advantage to positioning the subs off the floor, say, at ear height or maybe a bit lower? Does anyone do this?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is there any advantage to positioning the subs off the floor, say, at ear height or maybe a bit lower? Does anyone do this?
To combat vertical room modes... I have seen some rooms with in ceiling subs or different heights on walls. I think there are room simulation software that can help plan where to put them to get the best response if you have no constraints on where you can put subs in a dedicated room.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Just the one Dynaudio 18s in my 4.3m x 3.3m x 2.4m treated room along with LYD 48 monitors, can’t imagine needing more bass.

sword

Four drivers, four enclosures. Two are in the left front corner of the room and two are in the right front corner of the room and these operate in stereo.
Heh, I read that as one subwoofer for some reason.

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Just the one Dynaudio 18s in my 4.3m x 3.3m x 2.4m treated room along with LYD 48 monitors, can’t imagine needing more bass.
The name is a little misleading because it's 2X 9 inch but it's not actually 18 inch in total lol

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
2x SVS SB2000
20201214_090508.jpg

Last edited:

th0m

One SVS 3000 Micro (2x8"). Might get a second one eventually, but can't say I long for more bass as it is.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have in the past - higher than ear level, well above the room centerline. (On top of a tall bookcase.) The sub I used was objectively terrible but suitable for purpose. It substantially smoothed the height mode in that room. Downside is manual calibration is required - DLBC is not (yet, I hope) designed to integrate subs of wildly disparate capability.

I had a shelf in our current home wired to allow a high sub as well. The space is limited, only 11” tall and 11” deep but fairly wide. While I have not implemented anything there yet, my thought was at some point to add a very thin sub (4”-5” deep) with 4x Aura shallow 8” woofers.

To answer the OP, main system currently uses 3 subs:
1 18” in an ~80L closed box (front corner)
2x 15” in an 80L closed box (other front corner)
2x 12” dual opposed in ~65L closed box (right next to main seat)
All AuraSound underhung coil neo radial motor drivers, 1250W (Crown DCIn) each.

Front subs are integrated into cabinets, 3rd sub used as end table.

DLBC’s best blend is at 75Hz I think, which is much lower than my default (I start at 120Hz and adjust from there) but I go with what works over dogma. I may add another sub or 2 (height, shallow sub under left wall) to try to reduce the spread in the next octave up. It’s a daunting idea because it means going back to manual subwoofer system setup and treating them as a single unit in DLBC. That’s a huge time sink.

Desktop system uses two small closed box subs (~18L each) with Aurasound NS10-794-4a, powered by an old D-Sonic amp (2x Icepower 500ASP). One would suffice but I have 2 and it does not hurt to use both.

2-channel system is a work in (slow) progress. Sub units are set but exact setup is not.
-two “boundary subs” in front corners (SB Acoustics 8Ω shallow 10” woofers in 6L closed boxes in the front corners powered by Crown XLS2502 run in stereo)
-Tymphany LAT-700 in ~35L closed box centered on front wall (integrated into media cabinet) powered by Paradigm X-850 (ARC not used)
-JL Audio E110 in back corner
[edit: nearfield subs, 2-channel sub amplification]

Last edited:

sword

You lose boundary gain from the floor, so usually a disadvantage.

Last edited:

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Interior framing hasn't begun on my project yet, and I'm contemplating elevating the rear subs, with the front subs remaining on the floor. As it is, the box they're in is 48" tall, and they'll be on a 12" riser, so they're already activating the modes up to the middle of the room, but I'm wondering if there's more advantage to getting them up to the ceiling. Would really need to either model it or test it before committing.

The infinite baffle sub manifold for <20-30hz coverage will be ~5' tall and almost perfectly centered in the rear wall horizontally and vertically, so that leaves the lowest mode around 18hz in my room to deal with... I'm hoping that by sealing the 4x 5628 cabinets they'll have meaningful output down to 18hz to help with the length mode before I roll them off completely to the IB subs.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Interior framing hasn't begun on my project yet, and I'm contemplating elevating the rear subs, with the front subs remaining on the floor. As it is, the box they're in is 48" tall, and they'll be on a 12" riser, so they're already activating the modes up to the middle of the room, but I'm wondering if there's more advantage to getting them up to the ceiling. Would really need to either model it or test it before committing.

The infinite baffle sub manifold for <20-30hz coverage will be ~5' tall and almost perfectly centered in the rear wall horizontally and vertically, so that leaves the lowest mode around 18hz in my room to deal with... I'm hoping that by sealing the 4x 5628 cabinets they'll have meaningful output down to 18hz to help with the length mode before I roll them off completely to the IB subs.
Your room will be epic…

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
If you're building a room anyway, checkout single- or double bass arrays https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_bass_array
Really cool concept. If I’m following the application, it seems you have to double the number of subs in your system; one set of subs to create the desired SPL over the desired bandwidth, and a second set to absorb the output of the first.

I’m guessing I have enough output to pull it off… but I don’t have space for an infinite baffle configuration in the front of the room. And the infinite baffle in the rear isn’t fully symmetrical.

Top Bottom