• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

how many poles does this DD turntable motor have? (not a test)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
From a lovely Onkyo

1626268481477.jpeg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
30? Not having serviced many direct drive turntables I'm guessing they are pretty reliable and so I've never seen many other than Technics but yeah 30 is my total guess. Looks like a wonderful handmade motor assembly. :D

DSJR

Major Contributor
I agree with Doodski regarding how much effort must have gone into winding that. No idea on pole numbers though...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn't each green appendage count as a pole?
I googled turntable drive and motors and upon a skim and scan I found little info regarding poles in turntable motors. There where 4 pole motors and they all had 4 appendages and the 2 pole had 2 appendages. @restorer-john is just keeping us in suspense. :D

tomchris

Some of the old Onkyo turntables have a 20-pole, 30-slot arrangement...

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I don't think there are any Polish people in that turntable. So my answer is zero.

Hiten

I am not a technical person. But I think there are nine poles. The multiple green iron core protruding outside have coils wound around in alternate pairs of cores is just to smooth out cogging (?) . Besides the outermost green varnished coils looks distinct so I counted nine ....
Regards

Attachments

• denon.jpg
    denon.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 87
OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So, there's 60 coils on the motor. But, they aren't all used for drive. Some are used for feedback.

Motor schematic:
1626418613980.png

As I didn't count the actual magnet poles on the rotor, before reassembling it, I don't think there is an straightforward answer.

But it is a lovely motor and a ton of effort went into winding it, that's for sure.

Specs on the turntable were pretty impressive too. The entire chassis is die-cast alloy and it even has a motorized lid.

1626419598497.png

Top Bottom