• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many hours a week do you spend just enjoying the music?

How many hours a week do you typically spend listening to music only.

• 1-3

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • 4-7

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • 7-10

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • 11-14

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • 15+

Votes: 39 43.3%

• Total voters

Vintage57

Forum Donor
How many hours a week do you spend listening to music. When we’re not in lockdown

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Enjoying the music?
I enjoy the sound of my system.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
It depends on the headphone I'm using. Using the HD 800 or the LCD-2 I'm always analyzing the music, but with my HD 6XX, I forget about my gear and start enjoying.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Usually 15+, I'm retired so the lockdown didn't have much influance. Most often I'll end the day with a couple hours of music besides at other times throughout the day.

geronimo1958

Forum Donor
I listen to music (either my collection, local classical station, or various online stations) 5 or 6 hours per day. I am retired so my staying in did not really change things that much. If I was traveling I would be listening to music in my auto.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Why is the highest choice only 15+? Seems too low to be especially revealing.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
5+ hours a day. The advantage of having a home office and a nice desktop system.

DChenery

Forum Donor
Semi-retired and work from a home office so MCO made little to no difference. Had the same question, so started scrobbling to get a better idea. The charts provide by Last.Fm are great fun. Over the past 2 years, have averaged 18 hrs/wk.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I’m not typical I expect, but I listen to 8-12 hours a week of live music for my job. Not all of that is “enjoyable” but I do enjoy my work. Normally I bet I get less than two hours a week of music listening just for fun that isn’t work related.

The quarantine has been great for my music listening and for now I’m probably in the 15+ hour category. This partly due to the fact that I don’t have to leave the house by 7:30am so I can stay up late listening after the family is asleep.

D

Deleted member 16502

I voted 4-7 hours since I can't really concentrate on work while listening to music. Apart from producing music, I could also not imagine to listen to more then 2h a day. I guess having grown up with so much media, my attention span degradation is already too severe.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Non lockdown- hour or 2 in the car, bit during walking , hour or 2 headphone time before bed. 3 or 4 hours a day I reckon.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
About an hour each day on the weekends or when not working, and maybe 30mins here and there during the week. Probably 4-7hrs a week....is there a target amount I should be listening for enhanced pleasure or increased auditory education!?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
About an hour each day on the weekends or when not working, and maybe 30mins here and there during the week. Probably 4-7hrs a week....is there a target amount I should be listening for enhanced pleasure or increased auditory education!?

Tru audiophiles put in 10+ hours of critical listening a day, minimum. How else do you think they can hear changes in DACs, cables , impact on their hi-fi of having their sofas recovered etc etc.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
We do not have any TV. Before going to bed, I listen in the living room, one or two hours. Then in the bedroom, another system and specifically classical music for 30/60 minutes.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually 15+, I'm retired so the lockdown didn't have much influance. Most often I'll end the day with a couple hours of music besides at other times throughout the day.

Olympic level listening. Huge ear muscles!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Someone who spends more time worrying about gear than listening to music has a problem.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tru audiophiles put in 10+ hours of critical listening a day, minimum. How else do you think they can hear changes in DACs, cables , impact on their hi-fi of having their sofas recovered etc etc.
Hell yeah!

Sonny1

I now share my dedicated (formerly) music space with my son’s recording space. He’s a musician and he likes to record in the same area. It’s reduced my listening time but I get to hear him sing and play guitar. My estimated time is probably on the low side. It’s a mixed blessing but I enjoy the music he creates.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone who spends more time worrying about gear than listening to music has a problem.
While that makes sense when looked at on the surface, it doesn't account for everyone, sometimes the journey is more fun than the destination so to speak. So some people might like the science and analysis/understanding, tweaking & optimising of audio gear in relation to listening environment....that's a process to aspire to & understand and includes the discussion & reviews that happen on this site amoungst other things....so you could look at it as "the journey" or you could look at it as the training for the big day....whereby optimising your system through speaker choice/component choice / roomEQ / speaker positioning / room treatment results in a more pleasurable experience when you do listen to music. I agree though that specifically "worrying" about audio gear is not a good angle, but there's a difference between that and "learning" or "optimising". I think people get pleasure & satisfaction from learning & making informed science based decisions on audio gear selection & in room optimisation.....which then translates to a better absolute listening experience, but yet at the same time you also have a greater attachment to your audio gear because you've personalised it....so I think adds to the whole experience. But I agree, don't "worry" about your gear though, that's not a good angle.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
While that makes sense when looked at on the surface, it doesn't account for everyone, sometimes the journey is more fun than the destination so to speak. So some people might like the science and analysis/understanding, tweaking & optimising of audio gear in relation to listening environment....that's a process to aspire to & understand and includes the discussion & reviews that happen on this site amoungst other things....so you could look at it as "the journey" or you could look at it as the training for the big day....whereby optimising your system through speaker choice/component choice / roomEQ / speaker positioning / room treatment results in a more pleasurable experience when you do listen to music. I agree though that specifically "worrying" about audio gear is not a good angle, but there's a difference between that and "learning" or "optimising". I think people get pleasure & satisfaction from learning & making informed science based decisions on audio gear selection & in room optimisation.....which then translates to a better absolute listening experience, but yet at the same time you also have a greater attachment to your audio gear because you've personalised it....so I think adds to the whole experience. But I agree, don't "worry" about your gear though, that's not a good angle.

I have been through the journey and can't tell you how happy I am that is over. To me experiences are more important than accumulating material goods.

Top Bottom