• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How loud do you normally have your music?

• Thread starter Deleted member 46664
  • Start date

How loud do you play your music?

• Strictly as background while I do other things (<50db)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Moderately loud so as not to disturb others (50 - 60db)

Votes: 23 12.2%
  • Loud enough to take up my full attention (60 - 70db)

Votes: 61 32.4%
  • Loud enough to compete with other noises (70 - 80db)

Votes: 64 34.0%
  • I like it pretty darned loud (80 - 90db)

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • Just like in a concert hall (90 - 100db)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Does anyone know how to stop my ears from bleeding (100+ db)

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sometimes is tempting to feel the raw power of a play like the "Isle of the dead" ,"O Fortuna" or the pure genius of "Swan Lake Suite-Scene"
specially in it's fortissimo and I have to admit I have crank it up sometimes.But only a few.
I think music is like everything else in life,sometimes you need a bright like (for work for example) where you use monitors and lifelike SPL,sometimes you need a dim light to relax (like tubes) and sometimes you go big under spotlights drunk and without caring just for fun.
Everything must be in play and balance.

Indy

I listen between 85 to 90 db measured with an spl meter and my hearing is fine. My pets don't always appreciate it.

Soandso

I have seen a previous ASR post where a technical commentator stated that referencing dBs should not be A weighted. The dB(A) measures maximum sound levels adjusted for our relative hearing sensitivity to frequencies other than low and high (frequencies).

Whereas dB C weighted measures maximum sound pressure adjusting relatively all frequencies equally. If we consider hearing damage from exposure to prolonged loud sound as initially impacting the fine stereo-cilia (inner ear "hairs") then it would seem this is physically a consequence of sound pressure pushing against some stereocilia.

Although both dB(A) and dB(C) measure 1kHz frequency the same at (say) 2, 4 & 8 kHz frequencies dB(C) readings are less than dB(A) reading for the same frequencies played at the same volume.

I have read that for music ( like jazz, but maybe (?) not necessarily electronic music ) it is more appropriate to measure using dB(C). While dB(A) is used stateside USA for noise related comparisons; relevant to occupational risk factors, but popularized by reference comparisons among daily sounds (ex: sound level of home at night vs sound level of leaf blower). I am not certain but think read that in UK for work noise the readings are required to be in dB(C).

Incidentally the commentator I referenced in my lead off sentence stated, as best I recollect, that we should use unweighted dB for music. Although commentator did not elaborate I assume that would seem to be what is now referred to as dB(Z).

Holmz

Major Contributor
I have seen a previous ASR post where a technical commentator stated that referencing dBs should not be A weighted. The dB(A) measures maximum sound levels adjusted for our relative hearing sensitivity to frequencies other than low and high (frequencies).

Whereas dB C weighted measures maximum sound pressure adjusting relatively all frequencies equally. If we consider hearing damage from exposure to prolonged loud sound as initially impacting the fine stereo-cilia (inner ear "hairs") then it would seem this is physically a consequence of sound pressure pushing against some stereocilia.

Although both dB(A) and dB(C) measure 1kHz frequency the same at (say) 2, 4 & 8 kHz frequencies dB(C) readings are less than dB(A) reading for the same frequencies played at the same volume.

I have read that for music ( like jazz, but maybe (?) not necessarily electronic music ) it is more appropriate to measure using dB(C). While dB(A) is used stateside USA for noise related comparisons; relevant to occupational risk factors, but popularized by reference comparisons among daily sounds (ex: sound level of home at night vs sound level of leaf blower). I am not certain but think read that in UK for work noise the readings are required to be in dB(C).

Incidentally the commentator I referenced in my lead off sentence stated, as best I recollect, that we should use unweighted dB for music. Although commentator did not elaborate I assume that would seem to be what is now referred to as dB(Z).

Technically you might be correct. I would have to look at, but I certainly do not doubt it.
I think an important concept is that some SPL reference can be useful… whether that is dB(A) or (C) if it is consistent then at least we have some reference.

Usually I find that the only correlation of how loud it seems is with whether the distortion is low or not.

As we often crank the lower distortion speakers up higher, it is common for me to have a measured 10dB delta between apparent subjectively similar levels.
Maybe some of that is also in Subwoofer notes, as the most expensive speakers often have more energy down low.
And some systems with subwoofers also have the main amps and speakers not playing the sub range which further lowers IMD and Doppler distortion of the mid bass drivers.

Soandso

Just for orientation I have annotated the following dB levels, which I find easier to grasp than comparative dB weighting graphs : when the dB(A) reading for 2kHz = 1.2 dB the same 2kHz dB(C) reading = minus (-) 0.2 dB; when the dB(A) reading for 4 kHz = 1.0 dB the same 4kHz dB(C) reading = minus (-) 0.8 dB; and when the dB(A) reading for 8 kHz = minus (-) 1.1 dB the same 8 kHz dB(C) reading = minus (-) 3.0 dB. While the relationship is opposite at low frequencies, so that when the dB(A) reading for 500 Hz = minus (-) 3.2 dB the same 500 Hz dB(C) reading = 0. And at 1kHz when the dB(A) reading = 0 the same 1kHz dB(C) reading also = 0.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I find Z weighting sufficient for my purposes...

1656207474530.png

supercargo

I’ve been measuring my listening lately and even if I’m starting at lower levels, I find that if I’m enjoying myself I quickly gravitate toward “loud” which turns out to be about 85 dB SPL average with 90 dB peaks (C weighted). I haven’t listened at freak-out loud levels since I started measuring, but, the next time I have the house to myself, I definitely will.

Also, yes, I have tinnitus since about age 25. Unclear how much is genetic vs the half dozen or so concerts I’ve been to that were painfully loud. As someone who enjoys the spectacle of loudness, I don’t understand why these shows need to be so loud. At first it hurts, then you go numb and don’t realize how much damage is being done, and, finally, when you leave it sounds like life is being played through a kazoo for the next several hours.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
My other poll question about Tinnitus and the surprising discovery that 80% of us seem to have it, got me wondering ...

How loud do you play your music?

That is what happens with a properly set up subwoofer in your room. If your not doing damage, you don't have enough bass! LOL

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Between 75 to 85 dB and crank it up to lo 90's depending on music content and recording on speakers and a bit more on hedaphones. At night and when I need to crank it down its 60~70 dB. On the long session I incres the level for about 1.5 dB every 30 to 60 minutes two to three times, don't have tinnitus had expected it. Have a quiet environment and solid isolation from rest of the hause. I du use EBU R128 (on material) and equal loudness normalization (on speakers and hedaphones).
From sources other than music it's hard to say and depends on source and mood but generally quieter than music.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Musicians who don't wear protection are stuck in the dark ages for me. We have transparent earplugs working just fine

Matthias McCready

When I think of different SPL levels, I think of frequency response.

---

As a live sound engineer I could create a beautiful mix at 80dB-A, you know the sort of deal where people are crying with joy. If I were to take that same mix and bring it up to 100dB-A, it would be so harsh it would figuratively "rip people's heads off."

If I created an incredible mix at 100db-A, you know the sort of deal where people are coming up to me with bags of money in thanks, and turned that down to 80dB-A it would sound muddy, dull, and undefined.

---

As loudness changes so does our perception of frequency. The louder things are the more the mid, and top end need to be carved out, to make it feel good. This is usually done on the source side of things; while there are PA brands that focus on this, I prefer to mix on linear system.
---

When listening at home I usually prefer fairly quiet. I do find it to be interesting which albums sound great quiet or loud, which might have something to do with the volume they were originally mixed at.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you talking peak loudness or average loudness? I play music so that it averages around 75-80dB with peaks around 95dB.

Martin

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you please explain more about why it is best to use unweighted dB measurements?
What you show as Z weighting has no weighting. What are you asking?

Anton S

So there’s no weighting? Why call it weighting then instead is saying its flat?
The old "Unweighted" specification didn't specify any frequency bandwidth. The newer "Z" weighting specifies 10Hz to 20kHz ±1.5dB. It establishes the tolerances of the measuring instrument across the audible spectrum.

Top Bottom