• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How loud do you normally have your music?

• Thread starter Deleted member 46664
  • Start date

How loud do you play your music?

• Strictly as background while I do other things (<50db)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Moderately loud so as not to disturb others (50 - 60db)

Votes: 23 12.2%
  • Loud enough to take up my full attention (60 - 70db)

Votes: 61 32.4%
  • Loud enough to compete with other noises (70 - 80db)

Votes: 64 34.0%
  • I like it pretty darned loud (80 - 90db)

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • Just like in a concert hall (90 - 100db)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Does anyone know how to stop my ears from bleeding (100+ db)

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

Holmz

Major Contributor
You might be right @Sgt. Ear Ache , but I only feign tinnitus when the Mrs asks me to do things that I don’t want to do…or wants me to listen to something that I do not want to listen to.

And hence I did not respond.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to be in the l like it pretty darned loud club like almost every session but due to aging ears decided to be nicer to them in recent years :) I still vary volume quite a bit, but these days probably average levels of 65-75 dB but sometimes less sometimes more.

Digby

Major Contributor
I hope I'm not too eccentric, but I have very limited and specific volume ranges I listen to for different types of music (anybody else?). I won't bore you with a comprehensive list, but here is some:

Ambient - really is just that, cannot be loud at all, some is better louder than others, but all still pretty quiet, some barely above noisefloor.
Classical - Can be relatively loud, depending on the recording, varies a lot, but not concert levels, for sure. Something about too much volume in a typical room that is not pleasant (reflections dominate too much?)
Electronic/Reggae - These are the only kinds of music I can crank without feeling that it gets too loud quickly. Probably something to do with being bass heavy, I imagine.

Outside of the specific volume ranges, I can't say I get full enjoyment from the music. Enjoyment of the music is tied quite strongly to specific volumes, which seem natural. Goldilocks decibel range, if you will.

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I voted for pretty darned loud but in reality it's anywhere on the scale, depending on background noise, time of day, day of the week, type of music and DR, quality of the studio or live recording, mood and so on...

To me it's equally enjoyable to listen to some quiet ambient music late at night when background noise is as low as 18 db or (on rare occasions) listening to some bass heavy tracks to the point of physical discomfort, but at the time background noise would be as high as 50-60 db or more. If it's a youtube playlist, and a commercial kicks in, no volume control is quick enough... On that occasion, I'm truly blessed when having my thumb on a mute button.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, 80% of people who responded to a thread about tinnitus. If you had a thread about rehab you'de find most of us are recovering drug addicts. Actually, maybe you're right...
There is no mention of tinnitus on the title. I personally reacted to the sound level aspect only. Maybe you want to edit the title if you want a reaction to that condition?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no mention of tinnitus on the title. I personally reacted to the sound level aspect only. Maybe you want to edit the title if you want a reaction to that condition?
This thread/poll is a follow-on to the thread/poll about tinnitus.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread/poll is a follow-on to the thread/poll about tinnitus.
How would anyone know? I had no idea what the other thread was. Do you expect everyone reads every thread???

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted just like concert hall but since I only go to classical concerts nowadays the average loudness isn’t that huge, though the peaks often are in orchestral pieces.
I never have music on as background. I am either listening to it or prefer silence.
My neighbours are far enough away for full orchestral volume to not be heard by them.

OP
D

Deleted member 46664

How would anyone know? I had no idea what the other thread was. Do you expect everyone reads every thread???

That's why I included a link to the other thread in the first line of the first post in this thread...

"My other poll question about Tinnitus and the surprising discovery that 80% of us seem to have it, got me wondering ..."

The word tinnitus is brown because it's a link ... click on it and see what happens!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's why I included a link to the other thread in the first line of the first post in this thread...

"My other poll question about Tinnitus and the surprising discovery that 80% of us seem to have it, got me wondering ..."

The word tinnitus is brown because it's a link ... click on it and see what happens!
You still assume everyone reads every message. Most, me included, read the titles and if interested open the thread. Your title is about SPL. Tinnitus is not necessarily caused by high SPL.

OP
D

Deleted member 46664

You still assume everyone reads every message. Most, me included, read the titles and if interested open the thread. Your title is about SPL. Tinnitus is not necessarily caused by high SPL.

You chose to open the thread ... I cannot be held responsible for your lazy reading habits.

Nonick

Please add a category: loud enough to muffle the airplane taking off.

coonmanx

Had to crank it up to about 80 dB this morning in order to drown out the neighbor downstairs. They already know what is coming when they pull that nonsense. It truly sounds good but I usually don't play it that loud in respect for my neighbors (the other ones).

I hope they like the song "Mother" by the Police. No, I don't like that song at all.

Anton S

When I'm focused on other things, background levels are fine. But when I'm focused on the music, I prefer an average SPL in my room that produces lifelike sonic images of the vocals and instruments. The graphic below is the frame capture of a jazz piece played back at my usual "focused" volume with Z-weighting (essentially unweighted). (Using A-weighting obviously would produce much lower values.)

The app used is INVH by Bosch, which is the most flexible app I've found for this purpose, but it wasn't a freebie. For those who can't figure out what the banner text in each quadrant means:
  • Linst = Instantaneous SPL
  • Leq = Average SPL during the run
  • Lmin = Minimum SPL during the run
  • Lmax = Maximum SPL during the run
The dynamic range, as indicated by the difference between the Lmin and Lmax values, is somewhat higher than what there was in the source material, because I decompressed the recording during playback, among other things. o_O

20220403090809.jpg

DSJR

Major Contributor
I grieve for the days when I was single and had monitors able to 'do' over 110dB in my smallish living room. One day, my next door neighbour was in and she was treated to her ornaments rattling while I had a session without realising she was there. No, my current hearing issues weren't caused by those times..

These days and especially now, i can play my stereo quietly without hf losses, so i and our neighbour are happy with that compromise!

Anton S

yeah 20dbs of ambient BG noise is a nice quiet room. My Livingroom (where the big system is) registers about 30dbs at best...which isn't bad either really. Currently sitting in my bedroom with the radio playing quietly and a window cracked with some traffic noise outside and I'm ranging between 39-45dbs...
An A-weighted background noise level of 20dB SPL isn't just a nice quiet room. It's a SPECTACULARLY quiet room.

Last edited:
Top Bottom