• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How loud do you normally have your music?

• Thread starter Deleted member 46664
  • Start date

How loud do you play your music?

• Strictly as background while I do other things (<50db)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Moderately loud so as not to disturb others (50 - 60db)

Votes: 23 12.2%
  • Loud enough to take up my full attention (60 - 70db)

Votes: 61 32.4%
  • Loud enough to compete with other noises (70 - 80db)

Votes: 64 34.0%
  • I like it pretty darned loud (80 - 90db)

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • Just like in a concert hall (90 - 100db)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Does anyone know how to stop my ears from bleeding (100+ db)

Votes: 3 1.6%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The old "Unweighted" specification didn't specify any frequency bandwidth. The newer "Z" weighting specifies 10Hz to 20kHz ±1.5dB.
There’s no concept of a specification when there’s no weighing is used. It’s not weighted. It’s simple as that.

As audio band is 20-20kHz, what weighting is there What part of the word weighting you don’t understand?

Anton S

There’s no concept of a specification when there’s no weighing is used. It’s not weighted. It’s simple as that.

As audio band is 20-20kHz, what weighting is there What part of the word weighting you don’t understand?
You want to argue semantics? It is what it is. Deal with it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You want to argue semantics? It is what it is. Deal with it.
Semantics is what makes us communicate. The species that can speak are called humans. I’m an accomplished human.

Anton S

Semantics is what makes us communicate. The species that can speak are called humans. I’m an accomplished human.
Apparently not.

'Z' stands for zero; this weighting produces a flat frequency response between 10 Hz and 20,000 Hz, meaning that there is no alteration to the true measurement, despite how a human might really perceive the noise. In effect, it is like having no filter at all. This is useful for octave band analysis and for determining environmental noise.

See IEC 61672.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Many things and acronyms really don't have much (if any) sense but we continue to use them as they are already widely adapted.

Soandso

What you show as Z weighting has no weighting. What are you asking?
Is dB(Z) measuring only necessary for when listening to modern electronic music containing very low frequencies and for amplified music venues?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is dB(Z) measuring only necessary for when listening to modern electronic music containing very low frequencies and for amplified music venues?
Z weighting is no weighting on the audio band

Anton S

Z is handy for measuring the acoustic energy present in an environment, without regard to the non-linear characteristics of the human auditory system. It's the level that's actually present across the audible spectrum, regardless of how loud it "sounds" to any particular listener.

Soandso

How loud we listen to music should probably be given in context if the situation. Back in 1979 testing average western listeners liked to hear native language spoken at 52dB(A) when the room noise floor was itself 40dB(A). While for every 10dB(A) increase in the room noise floor above 40dB(A) they preferred another 3dB(A) listening level above 52dB(A).

While there was a confounding factor if the language spoken was one of the listeners second languages. Then they preferred listening at dB55-57dB(A) when the noise floor was 40dB(A).

I wonder if that last kind of preference variability might be related to how some people adjust listening levels depending on which kind of music they hear playing, even with the same room's noise floor. Suppose nature (melodic) sounds are our default evolutionary sound recognition pattern in any noise floor and we turn up (say) rock music to try and pick up it's nuances in better detail from the noise field.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are all dB measurement in this thread Z weighted? If so, why not C weighted?
I don't think so, no.
I simply wanted the "worst case data" for an additional margin of safety.

Top Bottom