• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How Loud Do You Need?

fas42

Major Contributor
Too loud with too much distortion is the killer - just look at big bands, bagpipe groups, etc; full of "old men", playing fit to burst, the SPLs are ferocious. Crappy PA systems mulch this sound, turn it into an unpleasant stew - this is much. much harder to listen to ...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have exactly one Bagpipe CD in my rack.

They seem to be having a war with some other guys with drums.

Distorted or not, it is hard to listen to.

MI0002404731.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How on earth did that end up in your collection?

When I worked for NEC and wasn't on the road (1998 or so), I would often stop by Circuit City and Best Buy on the way home to see what was in the Bargain Bin - $.50 and up.

If my stocks were way up that day I might splurge on a real disc.

Once, the harried clerk at Circuit City was on the phone and answering people yelling at him and shouting orders to the loading dock and trying to take care of a line of ten people who wanted to check out, and since he had just made change for some lady that paid with a $100 bill, he decided to give me change for $100 too, though that isn't what I presented to him.

Not wishing to add to the confusion, I accepted the error and went on my way.

I don't know if it was the Bagpipe day. It could have been the Paulo Moura day from which I discovered Hermeto Pascoal

MI0001566391.jpg

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
I have exactly one Bagpipe CD in my rack.

They seem to be having a war with some other guys with drums.

Distorted or not, it is hard to listen to.
I have several :) ...

An excellent "stress CD" - exactly the sort of thing that separates the men from the ... ;). If you get these type of recordings right they are amazing to listen to - the intensity of the sound is fabulous, an overwhelming experience!

A.wayne

I have several :) ...

An excellent "stress CD" - exactly the sort of thing that separates the men from the ... ;). If you get these type of recordings right they are amazing to listen to - the intensity of the sound is fabulous, an overwhelming experience!
Thought you never listened loud Frank ... :)

BTW since most audiophile systems are under powered too much crest factor will always sound noisy ..

fas42

Major Contributor
And a big howdy!! to you - long time no spar ... :p :D

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks to no standards to speak of in music recordings, you have to play around to find the right volume that gives you the sound you want from the recording and how your speakers propogate the intensity of the frequencies involved, and that's due to fletcher munson and so we hear a different recording at each change of the volume level. Turn it up to where it satisfies you, if your speakers are bass heavy, you will not typically turn the overall volume up as much as you will with bass shy speakers, it is system and preference dependent IMO.

fas42

Major Contributor
British bloke? You're thinking of Nigel, abraxalito, dvv ... ?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What's your loudness envelope?

Last night, Beer Saturday, after starting with some Dreadful Hillbillies, and then some Lounge Act Demo tracks, and some "We Wish We Were Yes" tracks, that John brought over as a blast from his past, I put on Kazumi Watanabe - Resonance Vox - OXO, closed eyes, and tickled the volume control.

The meter was running...

92dBz Leq, with the peak peak at 112.1dBz at 10 feet.

The video part seems broken, but here is an example track. This is live, the CD is from the studio. Clean, loud, powerful, interesting musically, at least to us:

fas42

Major Contributor
Nigel , is the one ....
I've been out of the loop of diyA for ages, only glance at it now and again - the conversation is always the same, topics are always the same - zero movement, as always, IOW. Nigel was quiet for a while but he's been quite active recently - delving into Thorens TT, and opamp misdemeanours currently.

Top Bottom