• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How long have you been listening to recorded music?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I bought a 78 pop disc or two around 1950 but, a couple of years later, became fascinated with Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue and Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, both on 78s and the only two classical pieces in my home, thanks to an older brother. When he returned home from his tour with the Air Force, he told me about HiFi and, after a visit or two to Manhattan's HiFi Row along Cortland Street, I was hooked. The rest is history or, at least, my story.
The first record I got under my own power was the White Album, I was 13. I got a kiddies electronic kit for Xmas, 1968. It was defective [missing/broken parts], traded it in at Sears for "The Beatles". Enabled me to drive my siblings nuts by virtue of my fascination with Revolution #9. Left a very deep impression.

What were your first pop records?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You lot are all ancient. I got one of these for my 8th birthday...

Sanyo-Cassette-Tape-Recorder-Vintage-Retro-Slim (Small).jpg

I upgraded to a Sanyo C7, 3 years later (it's had detachable speakers! :))

sanyo-c7-boombox-rental-main-w20-h12-d9_orig (Small).jpg

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Yeah, I'm a spring chicken compared to most of the brain trust in here.

My first hardware acquisition after I stopped leeching on my parents' stuff was the first iteration of the Kaboom from JVC:

79.JPG

Must have been sometime in the last half of the 90's.

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Last edited:
Top Bottom