• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How long do your Apple lightning dongles last?

For Apple dongle users who use it >5 hrs/week, how long does it usually last before failure?

• Less than 6 months

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 6-12 months

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >2 years

Votes: 12 66.7%

• Total voters

aikofan

The Apple dongle has been my main headphone amp driving my HD6xx for about 7 years, ever since Apple got rid of iPhone headphone jacks. I’m happy with the dongle. It drives my low-sensitivity headphones louder than I would ever want, and I could barely hear any difference in sound quality between it and headphone amps costing >100x more (such as the discontinued Oppo HA-1), aside from headroom and perhaps barely perceptibly deeper and tighter bass.

My only problem with it is that usually after a short period—ranging from a few months to a year—the connection becomes so flaky that I need to replace it. I keep my iPhone in my pocket, and as I walk around, the movement sometimes causes the sound to cut out, and I need to unplug and replug the dongle to get the music playing again. This starts becoming more and more frequent, until the dongle only works when plugged in with one of the sides up, and eventually it becomes unusable, and I have to buy a new one.

During this 7-year period, I’ve gone through maybe a dozen of these things. Now I’m still financially ahead compared to the old class A headphone amp I sold for >$1,000, and even much cheaper alternatives that cost $150. So I’m still going to continue using these. However, I’m curious if others who rely on the Apple dongle as their main headphone amp have the same experience with them wearing out in a few months. I use it on average 1-2 hrs per day.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DSJR

Major Contributor
I've had both of my Apple USB C dongles now for a good while (one at a time) and the US spec sample almost from the first use, only works in the USB C adaptor one way round (I connected it to this ageing laptop via a USB A to C adaptor. No issue for me and of course it's a static connection. I ain't complaining for under a tenner ;)

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's interesting to hear about your experience with the Apple dongle as your main headphone amp over the past 7 years. While it seems to perform well in terms of driving your headphones and delivering sound quality comparable to much more expensive alternatives, it's unfortunate that you've encountered reliability issues with the connection over time.

The fact that you've gone through multiple dongles due to the flaky connection after a few months is certainly a notable point. It's possible that the wear and tear from regular use, especially with the movement while your iPhone is in your pocket, might contribute to this issue.
ChatGPT is that you?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

staticV3

Master Contributor
Instead you get a nice little leaver to help destroy your lightning port ;) I’d rather have a broken dongle…
Fair.
Still, compared to the one that @Chromatischism linked above, I think the right-angle ddHiFi designs are the best possible execution of this concept with the least amount of leverage on the port.

Paired with a low profile right-angle headphone plug, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Screenshot_20231113-153012.jpg

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Still, compared to the one that @Chromatischism linked above, I think the right-angle ddHiFi designs are the best possible execution of this concept with the least amount of leverage on the port.
Arguably, right-angled versions may be even worse, they lead to twisting of the connector when strained.

Top Bottom