• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How is your dream speaker like?

ttimer

ME Geithain might have something for you. I’m partial to the ME800K which looks like a 2 way bookshelf in photos but is actually a 4-way, 88kg floorstander. You get cardioid bass radiation as bonus.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My dream speaker wouldn't be a speaker at all. It would be an electrical implant in my brain that would stimulate my auditory cortex so as to exactly allow my brain (and therefore me) to hear the same thing I would hear at a live performance of the chosen music.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A CBT shaded, curved array with 4" coaxials with KEF design (minimises disadvantages of configuration) and HF performance, but Purifi 4"-level performance in LF/MF. Minimal lobing, wide but controlled directivity in both horizontal and vertical directions, no floor bounce and reduced ceiling bounce. DSP linearisation of phase and FR to +/-0.5dB target curve in the listening window and linear phase (down to 20Hz if possible, given the extreme extension and linearity afforded). Crossed to a single-bass array with state-of-the-art large sub drivers (eg. Adire Audio).

For narrower directivity, a lower-diffraction Synergy horn, adapting JBL M2/Geddes OS/SEOS techniques for multiple-entry, using a coincident beryllium compression driver and SOTA mids (maybe Purifi 4"), Purifi 6.5" and SOTA woofers (think JBL 2216ND). Single bass array subs. Again DSP linearised in both time and frequency domain, plus crosstalk cancellation with individualised HRTF (think BACCH). State-of-the-art room treatment (think Blackbird Studio C).

THX power amps and maybe the Okto DAC8 as preamp + digital XO on a silent PC/music server.

Either way, max SPL >120dB across the entire band. Distortion at Revel M106 tweeter levels (-70dB at 96dB/1m), except throughout almost the entire band bar low bass.

Last edited:

jgazal

Digital source
Minidsp OpenDRC-DI for digital preamp duty with AES/EBU and toslink simultaneous output:
a) AES/EBU to master Genelec 8351B daisy chained to slave
B) Toslink to Minidsp 2x4HD with low pass filter and analog outputs to 4 subwoofers
The dream is actually to purchase everything for half the price they currently sell.

wwenze

Major Contributor
My dream speaker has microphones in my ear so there is a feedback loop

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm relatively simple I guess. I have 1 goal for our house, the spaces have the features we want, while maximizing the space for people. We don't have a huge place, 1200sqft, but we like to have friends and family over. It's a 1925 bungallow style farm house so the spaces are/were split up into small chunks. We just did a major renovation the the dining room/kitchen and turned 4 spaces into 1 'big' 300sqft dining/kitchen. So, the feature I want is good sound, without it taking up the whole room. So, In wall, sounds good, not 2-10x more expensive than an equivalent performing non-in-wall and my strong want is something with it's own enclosure. On the last point, maybe I'm making some bad assumptions but non-enclosed in walls seem like a terrible idea and that is what almost everyone makes.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I would be very happy forever with a pair of Altec Voice of the Theater A5 cabinets loaded with 515B woofers and topped with 1505 multicell horn and 288 treble driver -- and Jean Hiraga's crossovers.

My Frankenaltecs are probably, realistically as close as I'll get -- they're not the same but they ain't bad. :)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A CBT shaded, curved array with 4" coaxials with KEF design (minimises disadvantages of configuration) and HF performance, but Purifi 4"-level performance in LF/MF. Minimal lobing, wide but controlled directivity in both horizontal and vertical directions, no floor bounce and reduced ceiling bounce. DSP linearisation of phase and FR to +/-0.5dB target curve in the listening window and linear phase (down to 20Hz if possible, given the extreme extension and linearity afforded). Crossed to a single-bass array with state-of-the-art large sub drivers (eg. Adire Audio).

For narrower directivity, a lower-diffraction Synergy horn, adapting JBL M2/Geddes OS/SEOS techniques for multiple-entry, using a coincident beryllium compression driver and SOTA mids (maybe Purifi 4"), Purifi 6.5" and SOTA woofers (think JBL 2216ND). Single bass array subs. Again DSP linearised in both time and frequency domain, plus crosstalk cancellation with individualised HRTF (think BACCH). State-of-the-art room treatment (think Blackbird Studio C).

THX power amps and maybe the Okto DAC8 as preamp + digital XO on a silent PC/music server.

Either way, max SPL >120dB across the entire band. Distortion at Revel M106 tweeter levels (-70dB at 96dB/1m), except throughout almost the entire band bar low bass.
I'm trying to get into Blackbird Studio C to do a Prir with my Smyth A16.

Have you been to Blackbird Studio C. I live in Nashville, and I'm hoping to get in there to take a PRIR with my A16 Realiser when I get it from Smyth, do you know anyone there?

headshake

I collected images as a visual guide of what I would like to see in my next speaker. I dumped the folder into a collage tool. Here is my visual junk drawer of dreams.

Attachments

• spkr1_visuald4.jpg
    spkr1_visuald4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 176
  • spkr1_visuald3.jpg
    spkr1_visuald3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 179
  • spkr1_visuald2.jpg
    spkr1_visuald2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 169
  • spkr1_visuald1.jpg
    spkr1_visuald1.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 174

aac

Passive or with published DSP needed to reconstruct its crossover.
Small depth so it can be easily placed.
Not "tortured" design trying to get a lot of bass from small box, etc, like many speakers do today.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My dream speaker would be the one that plays per everybody's personal preference so we can all enjoy in whatever we value the most.

No brain implants though, i do enjoy the physical property of feeling the bass instead of just hearing it.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm trying to get into Blackbird Studio C to do a Prir with my Smyth A16.

Have you been to Blackbird Studio C. I live in Nashville, and I'm hoping to get in there to take a PRIR with my A16 Realiser when I get it from Smyth, do you know anyone there?

Unfortunately, no, but its reputation for envelope-time curve precedes it. That said, pity they use ATCs in that studio.

Archsam

My dream speaker wouldn't be a speaker at all. It would be an electrical implant in my brain that would stimulate my auditory cortex so as to exactly allow my brain (and therefore me) to hear the same thing I would hear at a live performance of the chosen music.

If we have the technology to tap directly into our sensory nervous system, why stop there?

Matrix.jpg

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Wow, I guess we think alike! Are we perhaps twins? If no and you're a beautiful girl I'll marry you right now! ❤

Top Bottom