• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How is your current speakers placement?

How are you speakers placed?

• toed in

Votes: 104 81.3%
  • straight

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • toed out

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

kolestonin

How is your current speakers placement?

I am mostly interested in the results of the poll, but It would also be good to write brand and model as well as listening distance and room dimension if you wish.
Feel of course free to share your thoughts and/or your experience with different speakers.

I do the start:
speakers: Elac debut reference DBR62
listening distance: 2.5m
room dimension: 30m2

I only had the chance to try my previous speakers in this room.
A pair of JBL LSR305 which sounded better heavily toed in forming a perfect triangle with my listening position.
When the Elac's arrive they were also placed like this.
After passing some time with them I realize they sound better when placed straight.
With further experimentation and fine tuning I end up with their current slightly(almost nonexistent - 5°) toed in placement.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Straight for these

Toed in for my JBL 708P

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Toed in in the perfect triangle as recommended by the producer (K&H O300d).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Currently, KEF Blade 2 Meta - Straight
Previously, Revel Ultima 2 Studio - Toed In

XpanD

Forum Donor
Toed in slightly but firing past my ears. Still experimenting but sounding pretty solid so far, no hole in the middle. (nearfield-ish at ~1.2m, Genelec 8341A)

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don’t like the look of speakers when they are toed in, so aesthetics trumps sound quality for me.

holbob

Straight on, also with dbr62. Way too much highs when toed in.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have many sets of speakers/systems/rooms, it varies. Generally a toe-in, but angles vary.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
ML ESL-X, toed in and they have a slight curved shape to begin with. Double toed in ?

1671931014702.png

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Philharmonic Phil 3s, toed in. It was recommended once that being around 15° off axis was ideal, even though these are very wide dispersion. Since I’m in a close environment, I went for the slight toe-in although it technically isn’t necessary.

alex-z

Speakers are 8ft apart, 8.5ft to listening position, about 28 degrees of toe-in. They seem to strike a nice balance of precision and width, vocals are locked in the middle, but if an object is hard panned to one channel, I cannot locate the speaker when I close my eyes.

The baffles are 29x49", crossover is designed to be flat from 100-2000Hz, 1dB/octave rolloff from 2000-8000Hz, then 2dB/octave from 8000-20000Hz.

Room is 13x17x8ft (width/length/height)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Speakers are 8ft apart, 8.5ft to listening position, about 28 degrees of toe-in. They seem to strike a nice balance of precision and width, vocals are locked in the middle, but if an object is hard panned to one channel, I cannot locate the speaker when I close my eyes.

The baffles are 29x49", crossover is designed to be flat from 100-2000Hz, 1dB/octave rolloff from 2000-8000Hz, then 2dB/octave from 8000-20000Hz.

Room is 13x17x8ft (width/length/height)
But what are they? Speakers vary greatly in their dispersion and their FR on axis.

goat76

Major Contributor
ATC SCM40 toed in with the axis crossed about 30 centimeters behind my head at the sweet spot position. I have the speakers placed in a fairly small (2 meters) equilateral triangle, that gives me a high ratio of direct sound which I like.

I came up with that toe-in angle pretty fast when got the speakers, and sometime after that, I saw a video with Ben Lilly from ATC who said most users of their speakers prefer them exactly like that.

alex-z

But what are they? Speakers vary greatly in their dispersion and their FR on axis.

Custom built, 5.25" woofers and, 1" dome tweeters, 2000Hz crossover point. I committed sacrilege by doing the initial measurement+crossover work in bookshelf speaker form to make sure the directivity matched in the crossover region, then transplanted them into the 29x49 baffle, and applied EQ to tailor the in-room response.

Prior to the baffle transplant, they measured almost exactly like Emotiva B1+. Now they just have a bit less edge diffraction, and the directivity gradually shifts from 180 to 90 degrees starting at 300Hz, rather than abruptly dropping at 1000Hz.

DavidMcRoy

I never met a speaker I didn't find works best toed-in to some degree, usually aimed directly at the sweet spot. I'm currently using c. 1991 Acoustat SPECTRA 1100s, but my collection runs the gamut: Adam Audio, JBL, KEF, Magnepan, Quad ESL57s and Tannoy. I would consider altering the angle if there were a polar response issue inherent to the design that was otherwise unresolvable, but I tend to use either dipole planars or controlled-directivity monopoles, preferably dual concentric designs.

So, currently:

Speakers: Acoustat SPECTRA 1100 (plus multiple subwoofers and various Dolby Atmos surround speakers in a 7.1.4 array consisting of Magnepan 1.6QR surround, Adam T5V back and JBL LSR305 height, DSP on everything)
Listening distance: 2.3 meters equilateral triangle, toed-in
Room volume: 30 cubic meters

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It may vary depending on many many factors; just for your reference, my present setup; please refer to my post here entitled "Not only the precision (0.1 msec level) time alignment over all the SP drivers but also SP facing directions and sound-deadening space behind the SPs plus behind our listening position would be critically important for effective (perfect?) disappearance of speakers":
WS00005123.JPG

juliangst

Just a slight toe-in. I'm always going back and forth though and can't really decide what kind of toe in i prefer.
The LS50 have a rather wide horizontal dispersion so it doesn't make that much of a difference anyway.

IMG_8127.jpeg

Top Bottom