• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How is your current speakers placement?

How are you speakers placed?

• toed in

Votes: 104 81.3%
  • straight

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • toed out

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Daverz

Major Contributor
Toed in/out relative to the on-axis or relative to the front wall? I never fully understood which was the most commonly used reference when talking about toe angles.

I think relative to on-axis at the listening position is the way to think about it, but the original poll seems to assume relative to the plane of the speakers (?)

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Speakers: Amphion Argon 3s
Distance between speakers (center) : 2.35 m
Listening distance: About 3 m
The speakers are slightly toed in (about 10 degrees)

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for angling of speakers (toe in/out), my experience is that its importance is much less than all the talk it generates, a simple blind test should be enlightening for all who believe it is changing that much.
I am going to guess that your room(s) is/are on the live side.

As much as the speaker's DI will have an influence on the importance of toe in, so does the room. In a very live room, the difference between toe in or no toe in will have much less effect than in a very damped room.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Toed in/out relative to the on-axis or relative to the front wall? I never fully understood which was the most commonly used reference when talking about toe angles.

Me neither. Both angle to listener and angle to side wall may influence overall sound somewhat differently, and they are also somewhat independent based on width of stereo triangle and distance to listener. A single angular specification by itself doesn't give you the full picture.

Personally I think of it in terms of whether the listening axes cross at LP, in front or behind. So a speaker is toed-in if it (ie the listening axis) isn't perpendicular to the (presumed flat) front wall. For an equilateral listening triangle with LP at the apex the speaker will be angled 45º to the front wall and 0º to the listener. For my setup, with the speakers a little wider, the angle (of speaker axis to front wall) is greater, but still 0º to the listener. I consider that to be toe-n, not straight ahead.

But just as you say, when others reckon the speakers are toed-in 10º I don't know if they mean vs the front wall or versus the axis to the LP.

Last edited:

goat76

Major Contributor
Me neither. Both angle to listener and angle to side wall may influence overall sound somewhat differently, and they are also somewhat independent based on width of stereo triangle and distance to listener. A single angular specification by itself doesn't give you the full picture.

Personally I think of it in terms of whether the listening axes cross at LP, in front or behind. So a speaker is toed-in if it (ie the listening axis) isn't perpendicular to the (presumed flat) front wall. For an equilateral listening triangle with LP at the apex the speaker will be angled 45º to the front wall and 0º to the listener. For my setup, with the speakers a little wider, the angle (of speaker axis to front wall) is greater, but still 0º to the listener. I consider that to be toe-n, not straight ahead.

But just as you say, when others reckon the speakers are toed-in 10º I don't know if they mean vs the front wall or versus the axis to the LP.

For me, it has never been a question about what is meant with toe-in.

Without any toe-in, you have both the stereo speakers pointing straight out into the room from the same plain of both the speaker's positions.

With toe-in, you angle the on-axis direction of the speakers more or less towards the listening position/the sweet spot.

BadSound

As I have the same speakers as you, it would be interesting to know what distance from the speakers you ended up with, and the distance between the two speakers? :)
Hey goat76,
for me it is 2,80m / 9,2 ft wide and nearly 2,60m / 8,5ft to my seat.
Try one time to sit in a 1m / 3,2ft triangle ... that is a really different experience ;-)
But if you try this, you have to take care about how high you sit ... better it is exactly in the axis of the SCM40.
Greetings

Axo1989

Major Contributor
For me, it has never been a question about what is meant with toe-in.

Without any toe-in, you have both the stereo speakers pointing straight out into the room from the same plain of both the speaker's positions.

With toe-in, you angle the on-axis direction of the speakers more or less towards the listening position/the sweet spot.

Yes, that's how I interpret it personally.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Have you figured out what you will use in the center yet?
Yes but I am not ready to discuss it publicly until it is implemented.

Flaesh

Unusual placement:
image.png.cdff7765fc996f65e7969f039d79c7b3.png

"diffusers" means "speakers", diffusori.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Mark & Daniel Ruby loudspeakers, 9' apart, 10' listening position, and full toe-in. Space is 13'x18' living room with a large archway on 2 walls. Every speaker I've tried in this space needs some degree of toe-in, except the Ohm MicroWalsh.

Mine are toed in so the tweeters meet around 40cm behind my head. Completely on axis is a bit much for listening with the kind of tweeters I have. Listening distance is 210cm.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Toed such as crossed 30cm behind my head (that's where the best measurement also is) at 2.8 m listening distance.
But just for fun (without touching them) I have tried distances from 2 to 6 m and it's fun how everything changes (I have also measured the most "interesting" distances,just to see how it translates).

Top Bottom