• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How is this possible? Shunyata power line filtering (with video)

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I visited a fellow audiophile a few days ago, and he is a big believer in filtered power supplies and "clean" electricity. Before you roll your eyes, let me explain that I am totally with you - having read all the PS Audio and Shunyata reviews I am a total skeptic. He had a gizmo that claimed to measure noise in mains power and he showed me how various interventions reduced the noise. I honestly can not explain what he demonstrated to me which is why I ask for your help.

The system was a typical audiophile system - Esoteric CD transport / streamer, Mola-Mola DAC / preamp, and directly into a pair of active ATC speakers. What was interesting was the extent he had gone through to ensure clean power. He has triple phase power installed in his home, with the solar inverter on one phase, all home electronics on another, and the third phase exclusively dedicated to audio. For his system, he has a few sets of heavy snake-like power cables into a Shunyata Venom power distributor and then to his components.

He showed me this gadget which "measures" noise in AC power:

y8hWim2KY30wxLRbh7TpdlHKvaC8CXTI-liXpqydI-pze2FPcsGIXBU1B6emoVFKzA1fTvlx_h_hds6hXxmOSZd_ma7_IXow68wSuWMcMJHX5G1j84GjPhCTmKaxxupGuRzbcJihC2ais6tQxeEXoe03COvT7824u_Lh6okNHFvsti_zQZPQ4X1I6KHgZ4X11sa7fBP0gcVpxztIJO4gQHLaV9uqr9SK7ZMQOAm2AqDtsxDOLr7TSP3l5Zcwo3qv5euUB9QbNnMfUYzJDtxIxDp_dCFVJQrFooWY_6id8-nh3a-VWGkfI3LeH3Mezgs3zdv7BgAPeWEr1klymvel_hlE-YnKM3HpCaTZets92vV62gbDdsuDWlytee9xhaT5752nDQo9oCC5oQiHTuI4Ta0BpbxXex7LuyYQ9j9Y_KHTcStd64TTCO1zk8QYEnDOkOREXeymP4Ut6fVUCimEqgCtgZiJp5YbU_FGJ2o0xCL0ighek-AKdgk52dG6rVuXZ-YpMTLRAAOs1n4i4LStmwtFoAxORMAcRdkcGCABAlzOKiuLOHQ-bjc9u6Z72FMj72fMwES0xgAWQUG_97uQ33cGyDyXgNiG64PkZ1DcOrrFhQ_gqZPvydWLp_lmZSzND1MTIdi4c4Obtjyrq8DpxF_GiiPJCr4mW38gWf0-hIUsPgPBg5KfCso_ukYoh9pJqs0I-gXtrBfbW63H7vipPTmpXQ3qxM5kSHvkWTfBTFY4YickL98FPeBSL8pTUbBXgMXiLwZYy8vV9Ni5Bk8IINzibn-lIQ8AJQFQoxivIje3Q3hgque7WAeOc5MhmxNvHG0nmWRRXNbxk8J8tbNO-_Y4hxrCNRnFuZNITgGnQIsaY4EM3aDM67JH5cYjFa8DprxPv33nWjGigDhr5oYiYaT96FtjE8bdoN5gPucek8wH7x5VSUHyDHr_kAbfeWFvnwcJ0MrgZtbLNe3xroM=w1323-h1764-no

It is an out-of-production ISOTek noise analyzer. It claims to subtract the 240V / 50Hz AC and play whatever is left behind as noise (which usually manifests as crackles) through an internal speaker. The digital display reads 0 - 800 which indicates noise in "parts per 1000" indicating how much noise is in the mains power.

The video below shows the analyzer plugged into the "home appliance" outlet. Noise is at max, and if you listen carefully you can hear radio signal played back through the speaker:

The next video shows the analyzer plugged into the Shunyata Venom power distributor. According to Shunyata's webpage, it is a simple power distributor with no description of how it works beyond "CCI noise reduction" which stands for "Component-to-Component Isolation" which is a "proprietary multi-stage filter that reduces electrical noise" along with some mumbo-jumbo about cryogenic treatment, sonic welding, vibration isolation, and so on. Regardless, it is a finely built product that I would happily insert into my system if not for the fact that it was so expensive and I honestly could not see any benefit beyond its built quality and sexy looks. That is, until my friend did this demonstration for me:

Wow! This was plugged in to his purely audio phase of his home electric supply. Only 12 parts per thousand, and if you listen to the video there is barely any noise or crackle coming out the analyzer. This is a dramatic improvement. So I asked the obvious question - how do you know this is from the Shunyata and not from isolation from random electric noise injected into your mains by the other appliances on your other circuit?

So he did this demonstration for me. In this video, you will see the analyzer plugged into the same mains socket as the Shunyata (note that the mains sockets are wired in parallel). The analyzer is on the left, the Shunyata is plugged in on the right. The video starts with both plugged in, then he pulls out the Shunyata:

I was quite astounded to see that Shunyata's passive box of tricks was actually doing something. You can see a dramatic increase in noise when the Shunyata is unplugged. How is this even possible! Up to now, I thought that Shunyata sold overpriced snake oil to audiophiles. Of course, like you I had more questions:

- Would it be possible to measure and view the output via an oscilloscope? Answer: neither he or I own an oscilloscope.
- What is the difference in output at the DAC? Answer: he claims there is an audible difference, but he has not measured it, and the setup was such that it would be nearly impossible to run enough cable from another mains socket for me to do a DBT. I was regrettably not given a demonstration of the claimed audible difference which was said to be dramatic.
- Is there some way the ISOTek noise analyzer is faking the result? Answer: why should ISOTek design a product that fakes a result for products made by another company?

I am out of answers here. Of course, the BIG BIG question is whether it makes a difference out of the DAC, but I have no way to test this. Neither am I willing to shell out so much money to buy a Shunyata distributor to send to Amir to test. Would the community be able to help by:

1. Explaining how these observations could be possible
2. Perhaps someone owns a distributor which he could send to Amir?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Are you plagued by weird noises in your system that can not be linked to ground loops ?
If not... you don't need any of this.

Every wire is also an antenna so it will pick up all nearby radio stations (micro-volt at best).

Filtering of mains is not voodoo or a black art. Some well placed inductors and capacitors can already bring improvements.
Measured improvements does NOT mean this will result in audible improvements.
These are separate things and all electronic equipment should be immune to crap on mains... simply because mains is NEVER 'clean'

DSJR

Major Contributor
NO *domestic* stereo system needs humongous power leads like that, surely? :D

Back in Jurassic times when I had bigger ATC actives, I did find that cable ferrites on their mains cables did appear to make the bass 'sound' a bit clearer. if I removed them, I 'felt/imagined (you choose)' the bass slightly less good. these things were dirt cheap, so I used them (my AVI preamp was totally immune to this stuff I remember, but its designer was an rf engineer prior to his audio business so I believe knew a thing or two about 'rf clean' amp circuit designs) :D

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Are you plagued by weird noises in your system that can not be linked to ground loops ?
If not... you don't need any of this.

Actually, that is a good (but separate) point. How is it that ground loops can produce hum in an amplifier with a well designed power supply? Why should weird noises that aren't linked to ground loops make it to the output of an amplifier? Shouldn't the PSU be able to remove any noise from the mains?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Amir has tested some (or at least one) power line filter and it didn't have any affect on the audio.

I am out of answers here. Of course, the BIG BIG question is whether it makes a difference out of the DAC.
Every (active) audio device has a power supply, either internal or external, sometimes USB power from a computer,* or sometimes a battery. The power supply converts the power line AC to DC, usually at a lower voltage and sometimes to multiple voltages and/or negative voltages.

The DC voltage is ALWAYS filtered and often regulated so it should be (nearly) noise free and rock-solid stable. (There is always some noise in everything.) A good power supply will be fairly tolerant of noise on the power line or reasonable variations in power line voltage.

Sometimes noise from something like a light dimmer or an electric drill will "leak through" or sometimes when an air conditioner or something switches-on the voltage may temporarily drop (and you might see your lights flicker) and noise may get-through from that. But the main filter in a power supply is capacitors and capacitors store energy so the DC doesn't drop instantly and a brief loss of AC might not affect the audio.

* USB power is notoriously noisy. It has no effect on the digital audio data but sometimes it gets into the analog circuitry. Usually the DAC (or audio interface, etc.) filters it out but sometimes the filtering is imperfect. If you hear the noise it's usually a high-pitch noise from the computer's switching power supply or from the digital switching inside the computer. The computer's power supply is pretty-well isolated from the AC power line.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Actually, that is a good (but separate) point. How is it that ground loops can produce hum in an amplifier with a well designed power supply?
This has very little to do with the power supply but more with poor grounding and layout/wire routing/groundplane management in devices than power supply quality.

Why should weird noises that aren't linked to ground loops make it to the output of an amplifier?
Because these noises are common mode and can travel through groundplanes, via's, incorrectly done PCB layout and thus become audible.
Break the common mode loop and the noises are gone.

Shouldn't the PSU be able to remove any noise from the mains?
Most do. But only differential mode and not common mode.
Common mode filtering and signal routing is key.
Something not all designers are familiar with unless they know a thing or 2 about EMC/ESD/RF etc.

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor
This has very little to do with the power supply but more with poor grounding and layout/wire routing/groundplane management in devices than power supply quality.

Because these noises are common mode and can travel through groundplanes, via's, incorrectly done PCB layout and thus become audible.
Break the common mode loop and the noises are gone.

Most do. But only differential mode and not common mode.
Common mode filtering and signal routing is key.
Something not all designers are familiar with unless they know a thing or 2 about EMC/ESD/RF etc.

All right, is there a way to apply commode mode filtering besides removing the ground on my equipment?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One should preferably not remove the safety ground.
A common mode filter can lower RF common mode signals.
For audio bandwidth common mode attenuation galvanic separation is the eaiest way if fixing is needed.
line level transformers for analog or digital isolators (chips, optical or transformer)

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measured improvements does NOT mean this will result in audible improvements.

This is the key statement. Look at the PS Audio Noise Harvester.

It does what it says it does. But we have yet to find a “system” or scenario where it makes an audible difference.

Shunyata has some cardiac electrophysiology products focused on having cleaner signals on what is essentially an oscilloscope. If I was building a EP lab in a hospital that probably was built on the 1970s, there may in fact be justification for these tweaks. As it stands, the most favorable speculation is that there once were products with poor DC regulation where power conditioning mattered but with anything tested to date, we are not seeing big improvements at the post audio gear electrical measurements stage which is already one step away from audible differences.

steabert

I recommend you really go read the review of the ps audio powerplant12 on this site. It shows indeed that it makes a difference for distortion peaks close to the mains frequency. But also that none of that matters.

I did roll my eyes (actually more of a painful squint) already before you told us not to. What's going on here is another case of praying on people's OCD. They design a device that can measure and amplify that particular frequency range, so you can have something to worry about. But looking at Amir's review that covers more than that, there's no benefit and there are problems in other areas.

This particular part of the HiFi industry is drunk on anything that can make people worried, so they can sell them a solution. That's why they always stay clear of proper blind tests.

Regarding OCD, it usually is the case that the person needs to find something to worry about almost immediately after a solution was found, with only very brief periods of satisfaction. There is always a thought that there could be something missing. Companies praying on this are unethical.

This is a case where measurements are used to a amplify part of a problem that doesn't affect audio playback. Sad.

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor
OK, let me sum up what has been mentioned in this thread and what I have learnt:

1. Noise in mains power lines is common. It can be injected via radio transmissions, other household appliances, and Ethernet over Power.
2. This has no effect on performance of audio electronics if there is a decently designed power supply. This has been tested by Amir in several reviews of power conditioning products.
3. The only way noise can affect audio electronic performance is via the ground.
4. Common loop ground filtering via galvanic isolation can be applied if necessary.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
1,2,4 yes.

3: Ground and ground loops are not the same thing though. Safety-ground and signal-ground are 2 different things that can sometimes bite each other.
It could also be that a lack of ground (in certain devices) or a more susceptible design in electronics (doesn't need to be the power supply but can be) can make noises audible.
Also not (properly) screened audio cables or mains cables and audio cables that are tied together over a length can induce unwanted signals.
When plagued by 'audio gremlins' first thing to do is proper wire routing and methodological problem finding before resorting to buying 'fixes' that may not be needed.

Rule of thumb. When you don't hear any weird sounds that are not part of the recording all is fine and no extra measures need to be taken nor will they be beneficial.
Filters can even make things worse.
Don't try to 'improve' or 'fix' things that aren't broken.
So... no need to use USB isolators or other 'sound improving' devices when they are no gremlins. 'Sound quality' will not improve.
It is easy to hear improvements though even when nothing has changed in reality. On this premise all 'audiophile' tweaks actually work.
A different mindset usually leads to hearing 'improvements'.

Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
The power supplies in audio components are great sources of AC power line noise/interference.
Linear powers supplies mostly under 10kHz, while SMPS's (Switch Mode Power Supplies) are in the low radio range.

gfinlays

Well designed audio equipment has no issue with noise on the mains:

Screenshot_20230113_222624_Firefox.jpg

kmidst

Besides for power line filters not being necessary at all in audio systems, there could be a detrimental side effect. You're adding more resistance to the front end of your system, which drops some voltage that your audio gear would count on for its own power supply. That being said, a good PS will allow a fairly large tolerance in input voltage. But it could be possible for the filter to do more harm than good.

Echolane

I was treated to a demo of ferrites yesterday in my audio system. It happened because I learned that my mains electricity is *very* dirty and I am told this noise it affects audio quality. I’ve also been told that components themselves create considerable noise. I have been “infected” with the audiophile bug so I feel compelled to want to improve the SQ. My visitor brought 4 power cords fitted with as many ferrites as would fit on the power cord. The first cord was just plugged into an outlet and allowed to dangle. We listened and I swear I could hear a slight improvement. We then replaced the ordinary power cord on my tube amp with a ferrite loaded power cord and I almost immediately I detected an improvement in clarify. Individual instruments stood out. We went back and forth several time in classic a/b fashion and always detected an improvement with ferrites in place. We did the same with my DAC and my Oppo 205 with similar results. The ferrites were encircling a $300 power cord and covered the entire length. I would appreciate any explanation of how this can possibly work. What kind of noise do ferrites target? Is it the same noise as Shunyata power cords?

gfinlays

Did you do any listening tests without knowing which cord was in use each time?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would appreciate any explanation of how this can possibly work. What kind of noise do ferrites target? Is it the same noise as Shunyata power cords?
You should repeat without knowing what mains cable was used.
The results will, very likely, be very different and the heard differences may not be as clear for you.
Since you clearly heard the difference it would be foolish of me to try to convince you it might have been 'placebo'.

ALL mains is 'dirty'. Clean mains does NOT exist.
As long as you do not hear weird noises (that are not in the recording) or hum you are fine and no improvement can be had.
Total silence from the speakers with the volume pretty high and no music playing will be the give away. Very easy to check.

Ferrites can lower (not remove) common mode RF (radio frequency) currents a 10 to 30dB or so.
Depending on the type of ferrites (yes, there are different ferrite types) you can target specific radio bands where it will be most effective.
Think 100kHz to GHz bands, way, way above the audible band and certainly above the 'bandwitdh' of mains.
The effectivity of such ferrites depends on the number of 'windings' one can make through such a ferrite.
As mentioned this is ONLY for RF and ONLY for common mode signals and NOT for 'crap' between Live and Neutral on the mains.
Common mode means there is no difference between L and N but there is a signal between ground (physical ground, not safety ground) and both mains wires. A bit like how an antenna works.

Why do ferrites exist and when do they need to be applied ?
They are there to lower RF emissions from cables and to do so they should be VERY close to the radiating source (so a monitor cable or some computer cables, mains cable connected to a SMPS which, when cheap, does not have appropriate filtering inside) and may be needed to comply to certain FCC/EMC rules when other methods can't be used (or be effective enough) to pass RF testing.

The fact that audiophiles put them in audio systems and miraculously here improvements (it never sounds worse does it ?) is for a different reason and is not technical in origin in the vast majority of cases.
In rare cases some RF common mode currents could potentially cause some issues with digital, and poorly designed, usually audiophile gear. Not in 'reduced' fidelity but other nasties.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I was treated to a demo of ferrites yesterday in my audio system. It happened because I learned that my mains electricity is *very* dirty and I am told this noise it affects audio quality. I’ve also been told that components themselves create considerable noise. I have been “infected” with the audiophile bug so I feel compelled to want to improve the SQ. My visitor brought 4 power cords fitted with as many ferrites as would fit on the power cord. The first cord was just plugged into an outlet and allowed to dangle. We listened and I swear I could hear a slight improvement. We then replaced the ordinary power cord on my tube amp with a ferrite loaded power cord and I almost immediately I detected an improvement in clarify. Individual instruments stood out. We went back and forth several time in classic a/b fashion and always detected an improvement with ferrites in place. We did the same with my DAC and my Oppo 205 with similar results. The ferrites were encircling a $300 power cord and covered the entire length. I would appreciate any explanation of how this can possibly work. What kind of noise do ferrites target? Is it the same noise as Shunyata power cords?
It can work by your built in cognive biases being in play. What you hear is affected by what you see, what you know, and what you believe. This is not a criticism - we are all (every single human being) subject to this - it is how we are built.

It is why properley controlled blind testing is so important if you are trying to prove therre is a difference between items which are not likely to result in any difference.

Amir has repeatedly shown that reducing mains noise makes no audible difference to the audio ouput of any even vaguely competent audio kit.

Top Bottom