• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How is this even possible? A Schiity typo?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Schiit Ragnarok 2 specs (directly from their website)

Power Output, Speaker Outputs:

8 Ohms: 60W RMS per channel
4 Ohms: 100W RMS per channel

THD: <0.01%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 100W RMS into 8 ohms
IMD: <0.01%, CCIR, at 100W RMS into 8 ohms

What am i missing here? How can the thd and imd be measurable at an output the amp is not capable of producing? Nothing more than a typo?

Assuming its nothing more than a website error, my inquiries to Schiit to get an answer have drawn crickets which happens with about 1/2 of my experiences with Schiit.
Now before the Schiit fanbois and gurls jump in, please note this is my experience and i could care less about yours. Its all about the bell curve and apparently i am an outlier.
They ghosted me when i tried to return my magnius for failing a second time and the finance guy who trolls this board promised a refund, took my personal information and then never followed through. You combine these with a few other inquiries (typically potential error clarification inquiries) that produced the same outcome (nothing), I dont think their customer service is anywhere near the legendary status that most have experienced.
This was not intended to be a Schiit put down thread but in the past when i have posted my experience on Schiit threads i have been attacked and accused of lying and as such need to end possibilities of that nonsense before it starts again..

Last edited:

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What am i missing here? How can the thd and imd be measurable at an output the amp is not capable of producing? Nothing more than a typo?

I've got a feeling it's an intentional omission of details for the testing to inflate numbers. Maybe the power output is with both channels driven, and the THD is a single channel driven. They don't say specifically, so who knows.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Schitt is a sh*tty company. They told you upfront.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Obviously a typo and I don't trust power ratings anyway.

P.S.
I used to trust the good 'ol American pro amplifier manufacturers but Amir tested the Crown XLi 800 and they "cheated" by 15W. That's not too far off and probably better than most consumer stuff but they didn't meet their published specs.

...The other "interesting thing" is that they sometimes claim more power (3000W or more) than you can get out of a regular American power circuit. (15A X 120V is 1800W). There are some 20A outlets/circuits but that still doesn't get to 3000W. And, the amps I've seen just have a regular IEC connector. (I don't know if they come with a standard power cord.) So, you might get 3000W or more on the peaks, but you can't continuously get-out than you feed-in! Of course you don't need full power continuously with normal program material, but I wish we could trust the specs.

Last edited:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They do post the entire APX555 test suite link on that same spec page.

Edit to add. It shows .04 thd+n 84 watts into 4 ohms. So clearly a mistake. Did you ask them about it?

Last edited:
OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They do post the entire APX555 test suite link on that same spec page.

Edit to add. It shows .04 thd+n 84 watts into 4 ohms. So clearly a mistake. Did you ask them about it?
Yah, as mentioned nothing but crickets so far (4 days). They seem to ghost me on tough questions (returning an amp for a repair the second time for example they never accepted or responded) but are quick to respond with easy questions (just recently asked them about the rca outs and if they are always on) within 24 hours. Inconsistent as hell

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, that’s not cool. I always assume things like that are honest mistakes, but this is sounding like a pattern of failing to own them, something that really turns me off.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, that’s not cool. I always assume things like that are honest mistakes, but this is sounding like a pattern of failing to own them, something that really turns me off.
I would hope its not a pattern and even though its been disappointing, i wanna give them the benefit of the doubt since i seem to be in the minority with both good and bad experiences. I swore off anything Schiit ever since the finance guy did what he did here on ASR but am looking at the rag 2 for a headphone amp. Not cause i want to but because its the best option for what i need. I will never buy new though and only buy used. While not as good as a complete ban it wont add more money into their wallets by doing so.

Top Bottom