• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How is the machine language translation of reviews?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For those of you who are bilingual, how is machine language translation of my reviews in other languages? We have a lot of readers in other countries. I somethings use machine language to translate discussions in other languages. Sometimes the translation is quite good. Other times, awful. Mandarin and Cyrillic fall into the latter category.

For those of you active in non-English audio forums, are people having difficulty understanding the reviews or is machine translation fine?

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
French through google translate is quite good. It definitely feels like machine translation, but perfectly understandable.

One really hilarious mistake though. jitter is translated "gigue"

1552873575602.png

Here's "gigue" for you

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
For those of you who are bilingual, how is machine language translation of my reviews in other languages? We have a lot of readers in other countries. I somethings use machine language to translate discussions in other languages. <elided>

Like this one? :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Using www.translate.google.com, convert to the foreign language of choice, and then convert back to English, and see what you get.

It usually looks pretty successful. However...

Samoan failed...

This is a review and analysis of Igc Research DAC8 8-channel DAC and telephone number. I was sent to a series of surveys. From my point of view, the company is installing the DAC committee for a while for the DIY market. But now there are complete programs. And what causes this unit to quickly manufacture, not the DAC committee but the associated connection with its content and other things.

Chichewa failed...

This is a destructive process of Okto Research DAC8 8-channel DAC and headphone amplifier. I was sent to show it. From my understanding, the company has been producing within DAC module for a short time for the DIY market. But now they are building enough systems. So what makes this an original synthetic software is not a DAC module but a combination of additions and additions.

Hawaiian failed...

This featured a review and details of the Okto Research DAC8 8-channel DAC and audio player. I have sent an electronic system for tools. From my point of view, the team has been working on the DAC project in some cases for the DIY contract. However, these web sites are built up. Therefore, what makes the DAC module a precise process is to integrate integration with entrants and targets.

Yoruba failed:

Here's a review and information compilation of the DAC8 8-channel DAC Dial and a microphone. It has been filed in solid form for measurements. To understand me, the company manufacturing the DAC module is temporarily injected for the DIY Product. But now he is teaching perfect systems. So what you do is early matching not a DAC module but a chart that is compiled with entries and other versions.

Original:

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Okto Research DAC8 8-channel DAC and headphone amplifier. I was sent a prototype unit for measurements. From my understanding, the company has been producing the internal DAC module for a while for the DIY market. But now are building complete systems. So what makes this an early production unit is not the DAC module but the integrated version with input and other features.

To/from German (as an example of relative success)

This is an overview and detailed measurements of the Okto Research DAC8 8-channel DAC and Headphone Amplifier. I was sent a prototype for measurements. To my understanding, the company has been producing the internal DAC module for the DIY market for some time. But now we build complete systems. What makes this an early production unit is not the DAC module, but the integrated version with input and other functions.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
"To err is human; to really foul things up requires a computer."

Sometimes... :)

Willem

Major Contributor
These systems do get better all the time, but I would not think any of them produce acceptable results for serious use. Major languages are better served, however, because more linguistic work has been done on them.
I am still rather happy that apart from my native Dutch I am pretty fluent in English, German and French as well, plus a bit of Italian (apart from Latin and ancient Greek). It would be a gross mistake for young people to stop learning foreign languages. The good news is that once you have learned your first foreign language, the next one is easier as long as it is in the same language family like Indo European.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

GeekyBastard

Actually you don't have to translate English into Chinese though, most educated Chinese can read English quite fluently, especially the young generation.

Machine translate English into Chinese = Mostly gibbrish

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These systems do get better all the time, but I would not think any of them produce acceptable results for serious use. Major languages are better served, however, because more linguistic work has been done on them.
I am still rather happy that apart from my native Dutch I am pretty fluent in English, German and French as well, plus a bit of Italian (apart from Latin and ancient Greek). It would be a gross mistake for young people to stop learning foreign languages. The good news is that once you have learned your first foreign language, the next one is easier as long as it is in the same language family like Indo European.

I was fortunately brought up bilingual (English and Italian) and as a boy, found learning French and Spanish quite easy although I found German a real struggle. However, practice is everything, and I have since lost my Spanish almost completely, and am working hard on keeping up my French and Italian as I no longer have a house in France, or Italian-speaking parents.

I do use Google Translate when writing French or Italian, for speed and convenience, but then edit it with my own language knowledge to make the prose flow better. Google Translate isn't at all bad, but won't fool a native speaker.

S.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So, here is the reason I asked. I am thinking of getting volunteers here to translate the summary of my reviews in a post in other languages that are hard for machine translation. Good idea? If so, can I get some volunteers to try this and see how it works? The system would be simple: after a review is posted, someone dedicated volunteer translates the summary as a follow up post. Conclusion section of reviews ar short so I don't think it is too much work.

What say you?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be willing to do Italian in the absence of any native Italian speakers willing to do it.

S

bennetng

Major Contributor
So, here is the reason I asked. I am thinking of getting volunteers here to translate the summary of my reviews in a post in other languages that are hard for machine translation. Good idea? If so, can I get some volunteers to try this and see how it works? The system would be simple: after a review is posted, someone dedicated volunteer translates the summary as a follow up post. Conclusion section of reviews ar short so I don't think it is too much work.

What say you?
What I am thinking about is you may attract some shill/fanboy volunteers to deliberately change the meaning of your reviews, then some other volunteers may try to correct their translations. Even non-malicious volunteers may have different opinions about each others' translations. At some point war may break out in the forum, with many different languages.

Also, measurements are often updated in other posts or threads. Your summaries in the first posts of each product are not always up-to-date.

Top Bottom