• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How is climate change affecting you? .. and other natural disasters in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Quote>

"The data are alarming. Since 1951, winter temperatures in Alberta have risen over 4°C in the south and over 6°C in the north. The number of days below -20°C has fallen by half. Both the number of heatwaves and number of cold spells have increased by two to four times."

Here in my small area of the world we are used to getting muchO snow and in years past we have maybe 12"/30.5cm on the ground. Old timers and some peeps say they saw the snow so deep that the doors could not be opened and people had to climb out the window(s). We have plus temperatures right into December and in the recent years it was super cold (Like -25C/-13F to -30C/-22F or colder.) for ~3 weeks when before it was for 2-3 months. We don't get enough rain in summer and this summer 3 records where broken for the hottest days on record.

The farmers had poor crops due to not enough precipitation. There is very little hay to feed livestock and so farmers are auctioning off stock. The price of meat has increased substantially.

Other seasonal changes include the BC Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley flooded and another atmospheric river is expected to dump more rain on them within a few days.
This flooding is a practice session for the "Big One" expected anytime. The Big One is slang for a earthquake that will cause liquefaction of the top muddy strata layer that a huge area called Richmond and Delta are built on. Think like 3 km-11 km (10,000 feet to 36,000 feet) thick mud liquifying and sinking into the sea with all the buildings and people. I digress... :facepalm::D

The roads are taking a beating with the thawing freezing cycles causing many cracks and potholes. That causes additional taxation to cover the expense of maintenance. City crews filled over 500,000 potholes in 2019.

I retired my Parka because it's too warm to wear it. Think sweatbox... I bought a 3rd more light weight down jacket to compensate for the warmer winter. The up side is that we don't have to shovel much snow. Breathing in -35C temps and snow shoveling is something one needs to adjust to and prepare for and so we are thankful for the warmer temps in that regard.

The gas company winter reserve of natural gas was exhausted because the electricity generating facilities burn natural gas and the air conditioners ran so much this summer that immense amounts of natural gas was burned. So as a result the price of gas has increased substantially for winter heating and GHG emissions went up further.

Willem

Major Contributor
Immediate impact here in the Netherlands is as yet rather less, although clearly e.g. some bird species are disappearing and others are showing up for the first time. The biggest long term impact would probably be from rising sea levels, given that about half the country is already below current sea level. There is a limit to how much dike building and pumping you can do, even with our experience and advanced technology. So a lot of planning is being done to prepare for this (such infrastructure cannot be built in a decade) and much research is done to investigate potential new technologies, not to mention a lot of climate science. The country is planning ahead for at least a century and about 2 metres of sea level rise. Beyond that, it will get really scary for our grandchildren.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quote>

"The data are alarming. Since 1951, winter temperatures in Alberta have risen over 4°C in the south and over 6°C in the north. The number of days below -20°C has fallen by half. Both the number of heatwaves and number of cold spells have increased by two to four times."
so, if u live in cold-cold Canada, then why raising temps to +4 is alarming? :D
if anything - it is good!
also, google "Medieval ice age" - we still , even after burning so much coal and farting, haven't reached temps before that "Medieval ice age".

Willem

Major Contributor
The other semi natural disaster is earthquakes from natural gas extraction. My area has large reserves of natural gas, but its extraction has induced increasingly costly earthquakes. Therefore, the government has axed gas extraction almost completely, but it will take a long time for the earth quakes to stop. The result is a short term dilemma of choosing between dirty coal for electricity generation and importing Russian gas. The long term solution is to expand the generation of renewable energy as rapidly as we can. In the meantime, the gas extraction companies are facing a hefty bill to repair damaged homes.

Willem

Major Contributor

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Its cold, and heating gets more and more expensive. Yes that are my personal facts, how climate change effects me.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Colorado, more extreme weather, mostly hotter and drier, more bad-air days due to fires. Less cooling at night, fewer late afternoon summer monsoon storms.

Probably due to more than climate change, but I simply don't see bug-splattered car windshields to compare with that I recalled seeing as a kid in the 1970s.

2013 100+ year flood.

2020-21: Hardly any Colorado cherries, but OTOH, blueberries from elsewhere in the Americas were abundant.

It's 10 in the morning in late November, yet people can still dine outdoors in comfort, at least in the sun.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Immediate impact in the pacNW is a regular forest fire season when it used to be a novelty event. August and into September can see smoke blanket the entire region and thousands of acres of forests burn every.summer. it's due to less summer precipitation and higher temperatures making it easier for fires to start and spread than in the past.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
This is just going to become political and I am preemptively closing this thread. Go to another forum and talk about this please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom