• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How is 7.1/5.1 extracted from an Atmos track?

EEE272

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how the bed is encoded in a HOME Atmos encoding.
In cinema, you typically find 118 objects plus 7.1.2.
But in a home mix, they typically restrict the bed to the LFE channel, I assume because home Atmos only supports up to 19 objects, with 11 +LFE being a quite common choice. The downgrading to 11 objects + LFE can be supported by a spatial clustering that Dolby has developed (and it seems that this includes a certain weight to keep the objects CLOSE to the location of the expected bed channels)
Now, receivers like the Trinnov can visualize the objects in the Atmos mix.
Here is an example:

When looking at this video part, it is true that 7 objects stay mostly at fixed positions, close to where loudspeakers would be in a 7.1 setup. Hence, I assume that the 7.1 or 5.1 is extracted by just using the soundfiles of these objects directly. Nevertheless, you can see that all of them move a little bit. Thus should there not be a better adjustment? In one moment the left surround back also escapes into a completely different spot. Now, it could be that this is a 5.1 without Atmos but then the surround speaker locations are a bit strange with being exactly at 90 degrees.

Independent question; looking at the green boxes indicating the speakers, I would assume that this configuration, if placed exactly like this would deliver the most accurate results in the real world, or does Home Atmos know where the speakers are - afaik, the angle/height measures of Yamaha is only used for DSPs. Looking at the illustration, it seems the surround back should be placed at 135 degrees.

It could be that the answer to all my question is: It is not very accurate anyway, so deviations (in placement of speakers and sound localization) can be ignored. ;)

Thanks in advance!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Atmos is backward compatible with 5.1 and 7.1 setups, that’s why you always have these streams available even if your AVR doesn’t support Atmos.

However any other questions you have and you’re in the realm of proprietary stuff that no one but Dolby know any answers to.

OP
E

EEE272

Atmos is backward compatible with 5.1 and 7.1 setups, that’s why you always have these streams available even if your AVR doesn’t support Atmos.

However any other questions you have and you’re in the realm of proprietary stuff that no one but Dolby know any answers to.
Thanks. I actually found the patents around atmos but they are really long... will take me some time to go through it.
It seems it is indeed just approximate in these cases.

Talking of approximate, I think I now also understand the setup guide for speaker placement.

If someone has experience in mixing atmos, if you move a virtual object along the side wall, I would assume it will pan from surround (at exactly the half) to back surround (at the very end).
Could someone test this? I would really appreciate it!

Top Bottom