• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How important in phase control on a subwoofer?

GalZohar

Gene talks about it in depth here on audioholics YouTube video.

He just says it's an all-pass filter. No mention of why it's needed over just adjusting the distance to get the same result at the crossover. At least I don't understand why the result at the crossover should be different. I asked for measurements, but he said REW is problematic to run in this space because the receiver is in a different room, which is unfortunate. And unfortunately I haven't really seen anyone reviewing Arc before/after results with REW, not to mention seeing one do so after the latest update and comparing the different ways to improve subwoofer integration.

Currently it seems Audyssey Arc and Dirac have similar capabilities in terms of low frequency correction to the set target curve (although for Arc I haven't really seen actual measurements to confirm, it just seems to be the case according to other people's experience), and where I found real (meaningful) differences in how they work is in the crossover handling, but couldn't find anything that helps me understand if those differences are of a real significance for the final result in real use cases, and what is actually the desired capability for best crossover handling (aside from completely free selection of filters, which is not available in mainstream).

david moran

Now imagine my disbelief that even in their $7500 flagship model, REL does not have any phase control, only 0/180 polarity. They even have a controller so you can adjust settings from your couch (a physical controller, not an app like with SVS), and even that is just for polarity:
25_Remote_CF_3_4_Hero-600x581-1.png

It does offer 2-band EQ, but in a weird way. You have to move the switch to A and use the left knob for frequency (20Hz-90Hz) and right knob for level (+/-6dB in 1/3dB intervals), then switch to B and do the same.

>> does not have any phase control, only 0/180 polarity

gosh, I wonder why that is !?

I am kind of surprised at how uninformed this discussion is, except for a few posts

Top Bottom