• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How good is your hearing?

Robin L

Master Contributor

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Shouldn't any consideration of audio gear START with a test of one's hearing?

Vincent Kars

Technical Expert
I can hear to about 14KHz, but it appears I have a notch filter for the frequencies of my wife’s voice sometimes, or so she says.

This one?
1a9e4b32039c8a499ffe4afea07ba6aa.jpg

Robin L

Master Contributor
Shouldn't any consideration of audio gear START with a test of one's hearing?
If one is involved with pro audio, it's probably a good idea. However, if one is a hobbyist, it really doesn't matter. If you want Klipschorns driven by a Marantz 8B, it's your business. I know I don't have much going on above 10k, but neither do recordings, so the point may be moot.

BinkieHuckerback

If one is involved with pro audio, it's probably a good idea. However, if one is a hobbyist, it really doesn't matter. If you want Klipschorns driven by a Marantz 8B, it's your business. I know I don't have much going on above 10k, but neither do recordings, so the point may be moot.
Saves a lot of money being wasted tho. I agree about buying whatever one likes, but don't pretend it's because 'it sounds better'.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Last edited:

DWPress

Forum Donor
Almost 14kHz and I'm 52. Wish I'd worn more ear protection in the past.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This one?
1a9e4b32039c8a499ffe4afea07ba6aa.jpg

Nah. I don't have a belly like that, spending $2000 on speaker cables would give me a stroke, I dislike reclining chairs, I don't use dinky little speakers on stands, and my wife seldom calls me from the kitchen (she likes my cooking better), she calls me from her office to provide IT tech support, or sometimes from the HT room if the damned cat has got behind the video monitor and loosened an HDMI cable. (And whose stupid idea was it to design HDMI connectors without a locking mechanism?)

Kegemusha

Now I understand why mosquitos bite me, I cant hear any mosquito maybe a flying rhino would do it.

BinkieHuckerback

I'm 57. I think I have some tinnitus in my left ear - it's not a problem, if I don't think about it it's irrelevant. On the plus side, it means I can enjoy all kinds of audio equipment - I love a variety of Bluetooth headphones - happy days

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost 14kHz and I'm 52. Wish I'd worn more ear protection in the past.

For many years I've been wearing foam ear plugs when I fly. Anyone who thinks that's silly (like a previous manager I had) should put a db meter app on their phone and measure the background noise. Between the HVAC system and the engines an airliner is a continuously noisy place. Low to mid 80 decibels, with peaks in the low 90s, sometimes for hours. The worst hearing destroyers IMO are motorcycles. Of course, I would never say that if I posted with my real name. Some of my hearing-impaired friends who are Harley or Ducati enthusiasts might snub me. ;)

BinkieHuckerback

For many years I've been wearing foam ear plugs when I fly. Anyone who thinks that's silly (like a previous manager I had) should put a db meter app on their phone and measure the background noise. Between the HVAC system and the engines an airliner is a continuously noisy place. Low to mid 80 decibels, with peaks in the low 90s, sometimes for hours. The worst hearing destroyers IMO are motorcycles. Of course, I would never say that if I posted with my real name. Some of my hearing-impaired friends who are Harley or Ducati enthusiasts might snub me. ;)
Protecting one's hearing is clearly important. I'd say most people want to enjoy music for as long as they can.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
62, 12 KHz.

Rick "normalish otherwise" Denney

Top Bottom