• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How good / bad is MDF for use in speaker cabinets?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Obviously it's the most common material in speakers
Question is how good or bad is it
Do most speaker brands use it only Becaue it's cheap ?
Is real wood better for the same use but just costs more so they don't use it ?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Real wood is worse because you cannot guarantee consistency of the material unlike MDF.

I see MDF as the same as using sheet metal for cars... its not ideal but its fine for the price... you would think we would be beyond rusty steel for cars 100yrs after the invention but every other material is more expensive and this is the case with MDF...

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Real wood is a poor product for speaker cabinets, due to inconsistent strength, contraction etc. Wood ply or other laminate approaches are superior. MDF is superior to real wood in terms of consistency.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Real wood is worse because you cannot guarantee consistency of the material unlike MDF.

I see MDF as the same as using sheet metal for cars... its not ideal but its fine for the price... you would think we would be beyond rusty steel for cars 100yrs after the invention but every other material is more expensive and this is the case with MDF...
Yeah "for the price " is a good point
Thing is also very expensive speakers are made of MDF like these Focal Utopias
Screenshot_20230605_111733_Chrome.jpg

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
but thats like saying they make ferraris out of sheet metal

this comes back to the new Genelecs I guess... at the top end i would like exotic materials, i mean who wouldnt but I think there's an audience who wants 'tradition' too... they expect wooden speakers so companies give it to them

if those Focals are not made of MDF then what material? Forget cast alloy and I dont think some companies like that Wilson audio aesthetic where its flat angular sheets

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

this comes back to the new Genelecs I guess... at the top end i would like exotic materials,
Exactly

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

this comes back to the new Genelecs I guess... at the top end i would like exotic materials, i mean who wouldnt but I think there's an audience who wants 'tradition' too... they expect wooden speakers so companies give it to them

if those Focals are not made of MDF then what material? Forget cast alloy and I dont think some companies like that Wilson audio aesthetic where its flat angular sheets
Magicos are super expensive but at least they use aluminum
4_38ed5b50-0c62-4172-80cc-812835ae4bae_4000x@3x.progressive.jpg
GcXNBbAL5r8Agl7G5wkENDTPyxU0AFciUN9eaWd2hSM.jpg
Frame of M Project.jpg

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
MDF is really an ideal material from both a construction and acoustics perspective.

Easy to machine, can be bonded with nearly any adhesive, fairly strong, good natural damping, and doesn't swell or contract with temperature like metal or live wood does.

For that reason, even fairly high-end stuff like KEF Reference uses it.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Exotic materials make sense if they solve a problem cheaper materials struggle with.

Meanwhile, if people want to spend more money because of the presence of an exotic material that adds no auditory benefits, that's their choice.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
MDF is really an ideal material from both a construction and acoustics perspective.

Easy to machine, can be bonded with nearly any adhesive, fairly strong, good natural damping, and doesn't swell or contract with temperature like metal or live wood does.

For that reason, even fairly high-end stuff like KEF Reference uses it.
But higher end KEF don't use it :)
Blade-2-innv_43663.jpg

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Exotic materials make sense if they solve a problem cheaper materials struggle with.

Meanwhile, if people want to spend more money because of the presence of an exotic material that adds no auditory benefits, that's their choice.
So you're saying MDF is not compromised SQ wise compared to any other material ?

JRS

Major Contributor
Indeed. It is more than bit friendly. But It is heavy once you beyond 2 cu ft volumes. Double thick baffle and well braced enclosures adds up. I'm building speakers and now that I get older I can no longer move....

LearningToSmile

It is a bit interesting that wood isn't used more in fancy high end audiophile speakers, not for any practical benefit but just for prestige. I know there are some but a lot is still MDF/HDF with wood veneer. It's not like it's impossible to have stable, well-seasoned hardwoods. You just have to pay enough and choose the appropriate type of wood.

Or if that's not consistent enough for you, you can use stabilized wood - wood that has been fully impregnated with resin under vacuum. Commonly used as a handle material in custom knife making. This one has the added benefit of being able to use soft woods with aesthetically pleasing grain patterns.

In the end it probably comes down to cost.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got a center speaker from Jamo that is made in aluminum.
Sound is amazing.
There is not any parasitic vibration.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
isnt sonus faber famous for using violin wood, not for structural, but for aesthetics

Bach

MDF comes in (at least) two qualities. The worse has almost no resin op top and under: not to be used for speaker cabinets. And then there is HDF: guess the more expensive speakers are made of that.
The moisture resistance of MDF is bad. A high end manufacturer told me once he had encountered big problems with MDF cabinets at the corners. Laquer did
crack and gave a lot of guarantee claims. The problem was solved with adaption of the cornering of the cabinets.

Top Bottom