• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How good are the JBL 104 speakers?

john5220

I normally use hd58x jubilee headphones, but was considering loud speakers cause I hear they are a lot better for sound stage and out of head experience that headphones cannot deliver but I dont want to stay too far from the clarity and excellent quality of the hd58x audio capability

I know Amazon has fluance brand bookshelf speakers on sale

How good is the 55hz bass on the JBL? Or do you really need a sub woofer?
I dont care for loudness I just need quality and the jbl seems hard to pass up but their size worries me usually small pc speakers never have decent bass

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are small speakers for use at your PC. In your face. Bass--I mean real bass, is not going to be an issue with a 4.5 inch 'woofer'. There are a lot of inexpensive smallish 'monitor' type speakers that make good PC additions. I've been using Presonus Eris speakers for a while. You get used to the sound. All these tiny things are going to sound a little different from each other. None of them are going to go down very low--at least like you would expect from a large subwoofer.

OP
J

john5220

They are small speakers for use at your PC. In your face. Bass--I mean real bass, is not going to be an issue with a 4.5 inch 'woofer'. There are a lot of inexpensive smallish 'monitor' type speakers that make good PC additions. I've been using Presonus Eris speakers for a while. You get used to the sound. All these tiny things are going to sound a little different from each other. None of them are going to go down very low--at least like you would expect from a large subwoofer.

Which would be better pick, Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 or the JBL 104?

It is for Music to use alongside my HD58x Jubilee.

OP
J

john5220

What's your budget? Because if you want small but good, the Neumann KH80 or Genelec 8020 would be better. The Eve SC203 seems okay too.

Budget is like $100 and I want Amazing sound, what can I get on Cyber Monday for this?

Zeos posted something on youtube saying we can get JBL 104 on Amazon for $71 but this deal is poor compared to the EBAY one for $54

OP
J

john5220

You won't get an "amazing sound" for that budget. You should get a pair of JBL 305p, these can go very cheap on good sales.

I see

How would the 104 sound compare to something like the HD58x

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see

How would the 104 sound compare to something like the HD58x

Just for a food of thought, IMO comparing speakers to headphones is like comparing apples to oranges. They have completely different presentation plus the room correction needed from the speaker setup. One’s speaker impressions will be completely different from the other due to the fact that room acoustics differ from both users. Even with extensive room treatment, the sound will still vary and only at the anechoic chamber where the speaker would sound the same

OP
J

john5220

^ Very interesting I didn't realize this.

DO you recommend the JBL as something that is very good compared to typical 2.1 PC Speaker brands for around $150?

Theriverlethe

Just for a food of thought, IMO comparing speakers to headphones is like comparing apples to oranges. They have completely different presentation plus the room correction needed from the speaker setup. One’s speaker impressions will be completely different from the other due to the fact that room acoustics differ from both users. Even with extensive room treatment, the sound will still vary and only at the anechoic chamber where the speaker would sound the same

Room acoustics are less important in super-nearfield (say 1m). I assume he’s looking at desktop speakers to replace his headphones. Personally, I’ve heard HD800’s and Audeze LCD-X, but I’d rather listen to the 305’s on my desk.

AdamS

No comparison, the JBL's are more accurate, sound better, play louder and cleaner and have excellent imaging. I've owned the Klipsch and currently have the JBL's.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^ Very interesting I didn't realize this.

DO you recommend the JBL as something that is very good compared to typical 2.1 PC Speaker brands for around $150?

Based on your sound preferences, it does seem like bass extension is what you're seeking for at this budget. The thing is for your proposed budget, you would have to compromise with either mids and treble quality for roomy bass performance (Klipsch or Logitech 2.1) or you would sacrifice bass extension altogether and opt for JBL 104. One thing I can tell you even though I haven't heard the Senn HD 58X is that without any EQ, the JBL will sound closer to the sound profile you hear with your Senn HD 58X. You can EQ the JBL to +20dB at 40 Hz, +30dB at 20 and 30 Hz for sure, but don't expect a dedicate subwoofer response out of them despite your max bass EQ.

One thing I can suggest is to go for JBL 104 then opt for a dedicated sub that you can find on the flea market or if you live in the USA, there's always a "swap meet" every weekend where you can score a dedicated sub for really cheap and just add that along with your JBLs. With that, you won't ever need to EQ your bass by a lot, just fine tune the crossover frequency via EQ so that you won't have trough or boosted upper bass.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on your sound preferences, it does seem like bass extension is what you're seeking for at this budget. The thing is for your proposed budget, you would have to compromise with either mids and treble quality for roomy bass performance (Klipsch or Logitech 2.1) or you would sacrifice bass extension altogether and opt for JBL 104. One thing I can tell you even though I haven't heard the Senn HD 58X is that without any EQ, the JBL will sound closer to the sound profile you hear with your Senn HD 58X. You can EQ the JBL to +20dB at 40 Hz, +30dB at 20 and 30 Hz for sure, but don't expect a dedicate subwoofer response out of them despite your max bass EQ.

One thing I can suggest is to go for JBL 104 then opt for a dedicated sub that you can find on the flea market or if you live in the USA, there's always a "swap meet" every weekend where you can score a dedicated sub for really cheap and just add that along with your JBLs. With that, you won't ever need to EQ your bass by a lot, just fine tune the crossover frequency via EQ so that you won't have trough or boosted upper bass.
|

This is a good suggestion - try to find a used sub for cheap. You simply aren't going to find any speakers for the price that will get anywhere near as low as your headphones do. That's the advantage of headphones: even the cheap ones can almost always go down to 20Hz. But with speakers, you will get a real sense of soundstage that you can't get with headphones unless you're listening to binaural music.

The JBLs are great for their price. They're just not bass monsters.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Just buy something from a place that gives you a 30 day return, no shipping cost deal. Check it out and see if you like it. Harmon (JBL) is offering free returns. I bought a dbx active crossover to see if it would make a difference from the electronics in my sub, but it didn't and I'm shipping it back. They are supposed to email me a shipping label, for the return. Might have that for JBL, too.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Well, the new and upcoming Kali sub might be up your alley. What was it? 123 dB peak? -3dB at 30Hz and -10dB at 23Hz is already fine for most folks.

And if you really would like more of that feeling of "chest kick/slam", it's mostly found 30Hz and up, see:

Last edited:

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I haven't heard the jbl 104 yet, they haven't been delivered to me yet. But I've owned and used the Klipsch promedia for 15 years. I had the 4.1 version, but I used them in 2.1 mostly. Honestly, these are not good speakers, but they're good for what they are. They are overly bright when turned up, and the bass is one note and overpowering compared to the rest of the system.

Top Bottom