• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How easy is it to Damage a speaker during Distortion Testing?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
94dB at 30cm is nothing. Thats not 10W on a very low efficient speaker. Hard to imagine that this should damage a 308.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
didn't knew this guy. now I want to see a Fulcrum speaker meassured at ASR

I'm not too sure many hifi folks here will appreciate PA type speakers even if they can sound and perform better the the usual regular favorites. Although, PA speakers have always fascinated me...

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I'm not too sure many hifi folks here will appreciate PA type speakers even if they can sound and perform better the the usual regular favorites. Although, PA speakers have always fascinated me...

I will be reporting my impressions on existing topics as I will be using the PA speakers I showed in the other topic as mains in my room. so far I can allready say that I probably wont go back to non-compression drivers.

on a sidenote: why don't we have Klipple meassurements of the Sceptres?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I will be reporting my impressions on existing topics as I will be using the PA speakers I showed in the other topic as mains in my room. so far I can allready say that I probably wont go back to non-compression drivers.

on a sidenote: why don't we have Klipple meassurements of the Sceptres?

That would be interesting to read...

I don't actually have the boxes for these speakers and have already modified them to some extent, otherwise I could have sent them to be tested. But then, they're also my main listening room speakers used almost daily so no way am I just gonna be sending them off. If I were buying new, and could directly ship to either Amir or Erin, sure, why not.

Katji

Major Contributor
Bias/prejudice like any audiophile forum.
However, you can get some explanation, here or other forums, I suppose, re why pro audio speakers are typically/generally not so suitable for home hi-fi.

For horn fanatics, they are essential.

I wanted pro audio speakers, a few years ago. Mainly because I wanted big woofers - but not big $$$$ hi-fi speakers with 12" woofers. But I was worried about those tweeters, I thought they would hurt me :) I even checked how I could attenuate them, before I actually got them. But there was no pain, and...when I listened close, ear in front of the drivers, it seemed that 90% of the sound came from the tweeter. :)
Eventually, the gap between the tweeter and woofer became apparent...although I suppose it could be improved by positioning.

Beta3 ...very good build quality...birch plywood, awesome steel grilles, good textured coating.
hahhah WAF/MAF, furniture aesthetics, veneer, gold-plated, bi-wiring ... :D

No snake-oil stories with pro audio speakers.

Top Bottom