• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How does Windows Media Player ID an OLD vinyl rip?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Cleaning out bins I found an extra copy of an old CDR that I made for a friend over 15yr. ago. It was a 1966 Takoma guitar sampler AFAIK never released in this form on CD. There was no meta-data put on the disk, it's a straight vinyl rip. WMP immediately identified it correctly after a few seconds of the first cut (sort of creepy). I did separate the tracks in the correct order. Pattern match to discogs database, the track lengths are not exactly as listed though?

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
That is kind of creepy.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Cleaning out bins I found an extra copy of an old CDR that I made for a friend over 15yr. ago. It was a 1966 Takoma guitar sampler AFAIK never released in this form on CD. There was no meta-data put on the disk, it's a straight vinyl rip. WMP immediately identified it correctly after a few seconds of the first cut (sort of creepy). I did separate the tracks in the correct order. Pattern match to discogs database, the track lengths are not exactly as listed though?

It must be reaching out to some "mothership"/database, a la Shazam or SoundHound, and exercising some audio-fingerprinting.

OP
scott wurcer

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
It must be reaching out to some "mothership"/database, a la Shazam or SoundHound, and exercising some audio-fingerprinting.

Looks like someone took the trouble to tag this album and add it to the database, two other LP's that I ripped and did not edit into cuts show nothing. Power Media Player even correctly titles the individual tracks.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'd really like to know. It would simplify so many Discogs ID hunts.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
This was implemented while I was managing the team. :) And yes, it does use a song ID hash to look up the track in the database.

Very sophisticated. Your old company is roaring ahead these days.

Top Bottom