• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How does the THD change when turning down the volume?

asr6576

As I know, the SINAD will grow when turning down the volume because the level of the noise floor remains almost the same.
So how about the THD?
If we have a 0dBFS signal and a -100dBFS second harmonic, then what happens when the signal goes down to -10dBFS?

pma

Major Contributor
There is no simple answer, as it depends on amplifier's topology and circuit design. Usually the distortion may get a bit lower, though noise (in relation to signal) a bit higher. The question does not make much sense.

doodlebro

Yeah I'd look at the range of possibilities across random reviews Amir has done. Some devices never over-saturate with distortion and noise while others do it as low as -20dB.

OP
A

asr6576

Yeah I'd look at the range of possibilities across random reviews Amir has done. Some devices never over-saturate with distortion and noise while others do it as low as -20dB.
Can you provide a link for example? Thx

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If we have a 0dBFS signal and a -100dBFS second harmonic, then what happens when the signal goes down to -10dBFS?

In a digital system, the distortion goes up as the levels drop. Generally the complete opposite in an analogue system.

(In a digital system, you have a finite number of values to describe the waveform. The most accurate representation of the waveform is produced with the most values. Lower levels by definition use less discrete values and therefore produce a less accurate representation of the original waveform. ie. more distortion)

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are basically 3 possibilities.
The distortion will decrease.
The distortion will increase.
The distortion will stay the same.

mansr

Major Contributor
In a digital system, the distortion goes up as the levels drop. Generally the complete opposite in an analogue system.

(In a digital system, you have a finite number of values to describe the waveform. The most accurate representation of the waveform is produced with the most values. Lower levels by definition use less discrete values and therefore produce a less accurate representation of the original waveform. ie. more distortion)
That is only true if you're not using dither. With proper dither, distortion goes away. However, since the noise level is constant, the SNR drops as the signal level goes down.

Digital Mastering System

I heard Vanderkoy himself (SP?) demonstrate proper dither and no dither in a 12bit system. With no dither 12 bit sounded awful, but with dither it sounded fine, albeit a little noisy. Remember anything recorded before Dolby (1968?) was <70db S/N, so about 12 bit.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
As I know, the SINAD will grow when turning down the volume because the level of the noise floor remains almost the same.
So how about the THD?

Is this question in relation to measuring the electrical signal or listening to a transducer?

Asylum Seeker

You are my nominee for the Fields Medal, sir. The insight you have provided is indeed transcendental.

bennetng

Major Contributor
Anyway here are some of my measurements: Realtek ALC892's output on ASRock B85m Pro4 recorded by X-Fi Titanium HD PCIE. RMAA uses -3dBFS in THD and IMD tests, I played the reference signal in foobar2000, and used ReplayGain to adjust the output level. "default" means -3dBFS. As you can see at 0dBFS (+3), there is no hard clipping, but THD is higher. On the other hand the IMD+N slots don't indicate a clear relationship between signal level and values, at least within a rather narrow +/-3dB range.

@pozz feel free to add these results if you like.

level.PNG

Last edited:

jasonhanjk

Anyway here are some of my measurements: Realtek ALC892's output on ASRock B85m Pro4 recorded by X-Fi Titanium HD PCIE. RMAA uses -3dBFS in THD and IMD tests, I played the reference signal in foobar2000, and used ReplayGain to adjust the output level. "default" means -3dBFS. As you can see at 0dBFS (+3), there is no hard clipping, but THD is higher. On the other hand the IMD+N slots don't indicate a clear relationship between signal level and values, at least within a rather narrow +/-3dB range.

@pozz feel free to add these results if you like.

There are 2 unknowns. The best level THD+N for the recording and the best level THD+N for the playback.

bennetng

Major Contributor

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So you assume it changes monotonically?

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So you assume it changes monotonically?
There are basically 5 possibilities.
The distortion will change monotonically.
The distortion will not change monotonically.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
There are basically 5 possibilities.
The distortion will change monotonically.
The distortion will not change monotonically.
:facepalm: Alright

Top Bottom