• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How does it sound ? - Kef LS60 W

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh dear. This debate (last few posts) was had in the measurements thread ad nauseam, without resolution satisfactory to anyone. The gist of the counter-argument (to @Jim Taylor) is that engineers and audio cognoscenti share definitions of subjective terms that do correspond to measurable phenomena and are therefore useful shorthands. I would argue they are never as useful as alluding to the measurable phenomenon itself.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh dear. This debate (last few posts) was had in the measurements thread ad nauseam, without resolution satisfactory to anyone. The gist of the counter-argument (to @Jim Taylor) is that engineers and audio cognoscenti share definitions of subjective terms that do correspond to measurable phenomena and are therefore useful shorthands. I would argue they are never as useful as alluding to the measurable phenomenon itself.

I certainly understand the "oh dear."

If this were the official KEF LS60 thread I think such a conversation could be too much distraction. But this being a separate thread, and "how it sounds" being invoked in the very thread title/OP, it naturally invites the subject. (Sorry...:))

And yes I agree with your summary. The severe aversion to and disavowal of subjective description (of sound) as meaningless/useless can only be made, it seems to me, by people who have never had to work in the creative end of content production. The idea that subjective description is bereft of worth is disproved every day, all day, in such industries.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1666473627999.png

1666473749290.jpeg

goat76

Major Contributor
If you call terms like "bright", "hollow", "dry", "forward", "tubby" and "loose", "incisive" and "warm" as having value, then I absolutely and most strenuously disagree. They have no value. None. Not a little, and not even an iota. There is absolutely NO assurance that another person will hear the same thing the same way, and no assurance that another person will correlate what they hear with those words. There is also no assurance that another listener will use the same words, or anything like them, in an attempt to describe their experience.
The ability to transfer information that is useful is what makes the word "description" meaningful. How many times have you seen two people talking, and one said, "It's cold outside!", and then the other walked outside and returned, saying, "What? You're nuts! It's nice out there!"
The same with "hot" food. One person may say, "This burrito is hotter than hell!". The person alongside them might taste it and say, "Huh? Whaddya mean? It has a little flavor, but it's not hot."
Or take wine. One person says, "This wine is fruity, with a forward nose and authoritative body." The person after them would taste the wine and say, "Yecchh! This tastes like horse urine!"

All this confusion could have been avoided by using a little bit of correlation or reference to something objective.
In the instance of temperature, if the first one would have said, "It's 55 degrees outside" then the other could have correlated that to their own experience.
In the instance of spicy food, if the second person would have asked, " Do you mean like Pace Picante medium or Pace Picante hot, or even hotter than that?" then there could have been a correlation.
In the case of the wine, if even the most basic of descriptions were used, such as, "I like sweet wines" or "I like acid wines," the misunderstanding would never have happened.

Allow me to modify your statement.

"To even make the case why descriptions should be relevant at all to a listener, you will have to at some point correlate "How It Sounds" to measurements, which will mean adopting objective references."

The point I'm trying to make is that subjective descriptions between two people without correlation is not only without any value, but it's even worse than that; it can give the absolutely wrong impression to another person and cause them to condemn (in their own mind) the subject of the description.
Even in a person's unspoken mind, which is the only instance of subjective description being accurate, they might listen to two or three different speakers and formulate totally different descriptions compared to the people listening next to them.
Let's say someone gets a chance to listen to ..... oh, let's say a bookshelf speaker .... they might say, "OMG! Two months ago MattHooper said this had loose bass and forward mids, but I think it's totally fantastic! This is what I've been looking for! I wish that had understood what he had meant! Now I regret buying those Flammis Model XYZ speakers! I could have saved money and had a speaker I liked even more!"

Wouldn't it be better to describe matters along the lines of, "Yeah, this speaker sounds insufferably bright to me. It has a 3 dB plateau from 2 kHz on up. Do you hear it that way?" Or maybe, "This speaker sounds really incisive; it has the same bass/midrange imbalance as a Klipsch, and I like that." Then the other person, having heard Klipsch speakers, could relate. They could look up Klipsch measurements, and would know what to look for in the future when they saw other brands' measurement charts. They'd want to do that because they had heard the Klipsch sound, and they HATED it. :D :D

So no, .... no, no, no no and NO! Subjective language, which is un-quantifiable (and unreferenced), has no value. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nichts. None. Not a bit. The occasional occurrence of subjective language being of value to some person here or there is purely accidental, and not predictable.

And something that is unpredictable, especially unpredictable when you really need to depend on it, is useless.

But heck ..... you can try to change my mind! :) :) Jim

Let's say a person I know shares the same taste in speakers as I do, and he tells me a particular speaker sounds a bit over the top in the treble area, then I have something to go by. If 20 different people with no relation to each other use 20 different descriptions that all points to the same thing, that that particular speaker has a bright sound character, then I'm pretty sure that's most probably the case.

It's the same thing with all other words used to describe sounds. It's not necessary that the exact same words are used or that all people "weigh" the words exactly the same, but with enough descriptions that point in the same direction, it's fairly easy to get an idea if that particular pair of speakers will be something you either like or don't like. And for me, that takes it a step further than just looking at the measurements of the speakers.

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
Let's say a person I know shares the same taste in speakers as I do, and he tells me a particular speaker sounds a bit over the top in the treble area, then I have something to go by. If 20 different people with no relation to each other use 20 different descriptions that all points to the same thing, that that particular speaker has a bright sound character, then I'm pretty sure that's most probably the case.

It's the same thing with all other words used to describe sounds. It's not necessary that the exact same words are used or that all people "weigh" the words exactly the same, but with enough descriptions that point in the same direction, it's fairly easy to get an idea if that particular pair of speakers will be something you either like or don't like. And for me, that takes it a step further than just looking at the measurements of the speakers.
Very true

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
I certainly understand the "oh dear."

If this were the official KEF LS60 thread I think such a conversation could be too much distraction. But this being a separate thread, and "how it sounds" being invoked in the very thread title/OP, it naturally invites the subject. (Sorry...:))

And yes I agree with your summary. The severe aversion to and disavowal of subjective description (of sound) as meaningless/useless can only be made, it seems to me, by people who have never had to work in the creative end of content production. The idea that subjective description is bereft of worth is disproved every day, all day, in such industries.
Very good writing , thanks :)
Our listening to music and what we like, are also very subjective. Only about 70% of the sound, how a loudspeaker will sound for us , can be measured . 30 % is pure subjectivity, and free for the listener to judge and have opinions about.
This should be perfectly clear for every intelligent person.

Last edited:

goat76

Major Contributor
OK ... but what if I don't have that sort of person? Maybe enthusiasts have someone like that, but the vast majority of people scanning these pages, trying to glean a bit of advice, trying to find a satisfactory set of speakers to audition ...... don't. Even then, I've seen enthusiasts who agree on one thing violently disagree on something else.

Why would people interested in say a 6000$ speaker just scan these pages for information?

I did go through the whole internet twice for information for more than a year before I brought my current speakers. I knew I would not have the chance to hear them without traveling 1000km from my home, and while waiting for a good deal popping up I had plenty of time to collect information.

They sounded very close to what I had expected, even better than I had hoped for. The only thing I was a little bit afraid of was how they will perform at low volume, as they are not highly sensitive speakers, but they are okay with that as well.

I know what I like and don't like when it comes to speakers, and I pay extra attention to things real-life users don't like about them and why they got rid of them.
Just reading measurements will never give me as much information about the sound characteristics of a pair of speakers, the same goes with just reading a handful of user reviews. Therefore with a big investment like this, it’s much better to read everything you can find about the product.

I agree. But ..... what about descriptions having only one or two, or at most three people making subjective assessments? What about descriptions where a great number of people make subjective comments, but can't agree? There's a great number of those types out there in Web-land, and they are unreliable, misleading and useless to Joe Shmoe from Kokomo, who is just looking for a reliable assessment of a speaker within a certain price category.

I have never seen it happen where a great number of people have the opposite idea of the sound character of a pair of speakers. And if something unlikely happens that just one or two people have something to say about the speakers, they are most likely not that good. Or I wait until more people had experience with them. :)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very good writing , thanks :)
Our listening to music and what we like, are also very subjective. Only about 70% of the sound, how a loudspeaker will sound for us , can be measured . 30 % is pure subjectivity, and free for the listener to judge and have opinions about.
This should be perfectly clear for every intelligent person.
Where did you come up with that 70% 30% story?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would people interested in say a 6000$ speaker just scan these pages for information?

I did go through the whole internet twice for information for more than a year before I brought my current speakers. I knew I would not have the chance to hear them without traveling 1000km from my home, and while waiting for a good deal popping up I had plenty of time to collect information.

They sounded very close to what I had expected, even better than I had hoped for. The only thing I was a little bit afraid of was how they will perform at low volume, as they are not highly sensitive speakers, but they are okay with that as well.

I know what I like and don't like when it comes to speakers, and I pay extra attention to things real-life users don't like about them and why they got rid of them.
Just reading measurements will never give me as much information about the sound characteristics of a pair of speakers, the same goes with just reading a handful of user reviews. Therefore with a big investment like this, it’s much better to read everything you can find about the product.

I have never seen it happen where a great number of people have the opposite idea of the sound character of a pair of speakers. And if something unlikely happens that just one or two people have something to say about the speakers, they are most likely not that good. Or I wait until more people had experience with them. :)
This is just one example how useless opinions are no matter how many agree or disagree. This speaker has so obvious flaws that one can even hear them in a YouTube video. Yet there a many people who claim these speakers are the best since sliced bread. No thank you.

My advice: Use measurements (objective reviews) to preselect your speakers so you don’t spent money on a dud and then listen at home for your self. If in doubt, return the speakers. But don’t listen to some blabla of internet “experts”which have different preferences and which certainly have different rooms. But hey to each it’s own.

goat76

Major Contributor
I don't understand. Why would anyone scan these pages - or any other pages anywhere else - for information? Wouldn't the purpose be trying to understand more accurately the problems they faced? Wouldn't a greater amount of information lead to a more in-depth understanding?

Possibly you misunderstand my use of the word "scan". It can mean "skim" or it can mean "investigate". I use it in the latter sense.

"1706, "a close investigation, an act of scanning," from scan (v.).
The (opposite) sense of "look over quickly, skim" is attested by 1926."

Jim
With “scanning these pages” I thought you meant ASR in specific, that's why I said “Why would people interested in say a 6000$ speaker just scan these pages for information?”, and by that I meant “Why not scanning the whole internet for information“ when you're at it.

I never misunderstood the word “scanning” in your reply. :)

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
This is just one example how useless opinions are no matter how many agree or disagree. This speaker has so obvious flaws that one can even hear them in a YouTube video. Yet there a many people who claim these speakers are the best since sliced bread. No thank you.

My advice: Use measurements (objective reviews) to preselect your speakers so you don’t spent money on a dud and then listen at home for your self. If in doubt, return the speakers. But don’t listen to some blabla of internet “experts”which have different preferences and which certainly have different rooms. But hey to each it’s own.
This is also both mine and I guess also goat76:s way of buying speakers. I would never buy a loudspeaker only by measurements - never. One has to listen for real how it sounds at home or in a store to really know If its good enough.

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor

nr 5 in this thread , Amirms words:

”I have a scale for how much measurements matter for each category of products:

DACs: 100%
Amplifiers (headphone and speaker): 80 to 90% due to variability of available power. Hard to internalize how much power is available/enough without listening tests.
Speakers: 70 to 80%
Headphones: 50 to 80% (measurements too variable)”

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's funny, because Amir wrote a topic, and in the first point he wrote - measurements are not everything, but he wrote it ironically, as if audiophiles wrote it or people claiming that the measurements are irrelevant.
So where did the 70% come from? 70 is not 100. Is something wrong here just for me?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got it. Thanks for looking it up. Appears to me more like a rule of thumb but a scientifically derived rule. Fair enough.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The measurements would be everything if they were 100%, not 70, so it really is a ridiculous situation. I think only I noticed it.

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
Got it. Thanks for looking it up. Appears to me more like a rule of thumb but a scientifically derived rule.
Personally , I think measurements can tell you about 70 % of how a loudspeaker will sound . Not more.
This means that about 30 % are up to subjective debate:), that you can write on this forum.

Top Bottom