• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

how does an 'Audio Grounding Box' work?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For Radio Frequencies this box will provide a small 'load'. Very small as the wood is rather thick so capacitance won't be very high.
It 'works' by creating a large surface area which acts as one plate of a low value capacitor and the other plate is the 'air' and maybe even the floor a little.
You can DIY one by putting some aluminium foil in a similar sized wooden box, connect it to a banana socket and fill the box with whatever you can find that adds some weight.
It will be equally (in)effective.
A bit like someone's body when walking on shoes or slippers.
Some folks that are being 'plagued' by hum/noises that magically go away when they touch a device or the RCA connector.
Your body functions as a capacitor and a chance for RF to take the path of least resistance, in that case the body and its capacitance to ground, depending on factors about 100pF to 200pF on average.

I don't think this box is designed for this function though. It's function is to part believers from their money and give them a (false) sense of 'knowing it works' which helps getting more listening enjoyment (piece of mind is a great way for the brain to get more enjoyment).

It does not work... because when you connect the box with say 50cm or 1m of wire this will act as an antenna/inductor and provides a high resistance for RF.
It would be the equivalent of connecting a small capacitor (maybe 100pF ?) to a piece of wire and connecting that capacitor to safety ground.
Let's be clear about this... safety ground is NOT a 'ground' for radio frequency signals. It is only there for safety.
Safety ground can be helpful to create or reduce ground loops by the way.
I would assume the equipment might or might not be connected to safety ground anyway.

The crystals, of course, do nothing and are just there as weight and create a nice story to sell these overpriced boxes to people who believe in it.

Capitol C

Well, let's be open-minded here. If the crystals were to affect the captonic dispersion relation, this will cause the wood to copper inductance to attenuate the Bullscheiße effect.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think this box is designed for this function though. It's function is to part believers from their money and give them a (false) sense of 'knowing it works' which helps getting more listening enjoyment (piece of mind is a great way for the brain to get more enjoyment).
Piece of mind or peace of mind? :) That can be pretty different....

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I dunno actually, I just google the diy boxes that commonly found.

Some look like it short or close to short. Even it open. It is AC signal that can be detect at the foil plates end. It ground usually connect to -ve point. Just like you how you prove GR- Research power cord it still energised even the cords is not connect to anything.

You have review it but you can't open the boxes as request. Can't access the copper foil inside to see AC signal being energised in the box.
I'm taking notes here. They don't teach this stuff in engineering school!

Somafunk

Major Contributor
For the money these things cost the least I‘d expect is blue led ;)

irontortoise

For the money these things cost the least I‘d expect is blue led ;)
They should have 3 models: blue or red LED, and you buy one depending on if you prefer warm or cool sound!. A third model, at twice the price, has both, so you can switch, LOL.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The first review I posted was on the Entreq grounding box which I think retails for $3,500.

I'll take all this as an invitation to repost an interview with Mr Entreq himself.

It's a favorite.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Seems legit :rolleyes:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I got a funny recommendation by Youtube....
Look at the blue oval... Watching that video next might confuse some viewers.

recommendation.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which school did you go to?
A school that didn't teach the new trendy single-point grounding technique. Good thing they pack those grounding boxes full of random crap to absorb the spare electrons.

Holmz

Major Contributor
A school that didn't teach the new trendy single-point grounding technique. Good thing they pack those grounding boxes full of random crap to absorb the spare electrons.

Ahh…
I did not pick up the sarcasm the first time around.

Top Bottom