• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you watch youtube and other music videos?

What is your preferred choice for watching youtube or other music videos?

• Big screen TV with a sound system and multi-media computer

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Big screen TV with a sound system and streaming box (Apple, Roku, built-in app, etc.)

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Computer monitor on laptop or desktop with separate or built-in speakers

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Computer monitor on laptop or desktop with headphones and headphone amp

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Tablet or phone with headphones and headphone amp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tablet or phone with headphones, no amp

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Tablet or phone with built-in speaker

• Other

• Don't watch music videos, listen only ....

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Artsfols

I'll reserve this area for clarifying the options, if needed. I am curious as to how people consume music videos, and the extent to which they do.
I allow up to 2, uh 3, choices in the answer, recognizing that people may watch in different modes. Please use the second or third choice only for a mode used frequently.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The poll only allows 2 choices and I use 3 pretty equally...
  • Big screen TV with a sound system and streaming box (Apple, Roku, built-in app, etc.)
Martin

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

The poll only allows 2 choices and I use 3 pretty equally...
Martin
Fixed it. :)

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
My prefer method is:
Big screen TV with a sound system and streaming box (Apple or Roku)

I also use these two often:
Computer monitor on laptop with headphones and headphone amp

Phone with headphones

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I voted for the second option but I very rarely watch music videos as such. However, I do occasionally watch things like NPR's Tiny Desk concerts or other concert footage. Also Youtube on Appletv has become essentially unwatchable recently due their advertising bombardment every few minutes. It's possible to avoid the ads on other devices of course but sadly not on ATV ...

TK750

When you say 'youtube or other music videos', is this just referring to watching specifically music videos on youtube or watching youtube in general?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Since when is YouTube a music video? ;)

I don’t watch any via YouTube.. other stuff I do, use phone and headphones for that mostly, sometimes on TV+AV receiver.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

When you say 'youtube or other music videos', is this just referring to watching specifically music videos on youtube or watching youtube in general?
I had music video streaming in mind. I think the answer will change for watching youtube in general. We have a second TV on which the grandkids stream gaming bloggers constantly and to them the sound quality does not matter. So I'll say, music videos.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

Since when is YouTube a music video? ;)

I don’t watch any via YouTube.. other stuff I do, use phone and headphones for that mostly, sometimes on TV+AV receiver.
Ah, you've caught an ambiguity. With the words 'youtube or other music videos' I intended the construction (youtube or other) music videos, not (youtube or other music) videos. So the correct expansion would be 'youtube music videos' or 'other music videos'. Yes, you have run into a grammar nerd.

TK750

I had music video streaming in mind. I think the answer will change for watching youtube in general. We have a second TV on which the grandkids stream gaming bloggers constantly and to them the sound quality does not matter. So I'll say, music videos.
Gotcha, yeh watching youtube in general is definitely a very different beast. Tbh I didn't think many people watched music videos anymore so it's quite interesting to see. I realise there are music videos with billions of views on youtube but I think very very few people are watching the video, most just using them as a convenient and free way to play a song.

I admire your resolve, I don't think I could take that second TV situation haha!

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My use case is not on the list. . . Big screen TV or laptop, with wireless headphones (QC35II)

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

Gotcha, yeh watching youtube in general is definitely a very different beast. Tbh I didn't think many people watched music videos anymore so it's quite interesting to see. I realise there are music videos with billions of views on youtube but I think very very few people are watching the video, most just using them as a convenient and free way to play a song.

I admire your resolve, I don't think I could take that second TV situation haha!
I agree that most use youtube to listen not to watch. Case in point, Sigrid's minor hit song, 'Burning Bridges' official video has 1.2 million views. An acoustic version which is far more watchable has 472K views. The difference is accounted for by the fact that most people listen to streams and playlists. Youtube also has a streaming music player as a separate app, by the way.
Since 2013 I have been building playlists of performance videos which rarely include official videos. Most of the top performers recognize there is an audience for them performing their material, usually their core fans. In addition, the lower budget performers can't afford to do anything better than a 'Paste Studio' live performance.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

My use case is not on the list. . . Big screen TV or laptop, with wireless headphones (QC35II)

Sure, but then I thought you would be at work today so I didn't put that one in. :)

krumpol

1. PC + headphones mostly, with Youtube Audio extension enabled in FF which makes only audio track download and play.
2. PC + speakers occasionally, with YA enabled as well.
3. PC + HP or speakers with YA disabled in FF rarely.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

1. PC + headphones mostly, with Youtube Audio extension enabled in FF which makes only audio track download and play.
2. PC + speakers occasionally, with YA enabled as well.
3. PC + HP or speakers with YA disabled in FF rarely.
I'm sure I'll feel stupid once I hear the answer, but what is FF?

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

@Artsfols
Mozilla Firefox browser, should've spelled it properly.
I bet I would have caught MFF. There are situations where I use Chrome, but MFF, or FF, is my go to. And if you use Windows, don't you hate how Microsoft keeps pushing Edge into your face.

Top Bottom