• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you usually listen to music?

How do you usually listen to music?

• IEM (earbuds or anything similar)

Votes: 38 27.5%
  • Headphones

Votes: 50 36.2%
  • Smart speaker(s)

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • Close to front speakers (<1m)

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • Near to front speakers (1-2m)

Votes: 35 25.4%
  • Further from front speakers (more than 2m)

Votes: 84 60.9%
  • Live venue (concert hall, night club, and or arena)

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • Other (please post details)

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd much rather listen to live music more, just too much other stuff going on. I catch music when I can: 2.0 stereo @ ~3m, otherwise just a smart speaker. Headphones sound good, but cut me off from the family too much so tend not to be practical

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do I normally listen to music? Off my smartphone speakers while laying in bed.

I have a bunch of headphones/earphones and speaker setups, I just don't regularly utilize them. Can‘t listen to music during work, and at home if I’m using on the tv system watching shows/movies/content.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"How do you usually listen to music?"
With me ears (and brain)
Someone had to say it
The Devil made me do it
Stop me now please
Mommy!

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last call if you want to be counted. Poll will close tomorrow.

Thank you to those who voted and shared their preferences!

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
For my “other” vote, I will either use my main system or a JBL Extreme 2 BT Speaker (or similar) as I wander around the house doing errands. (This is largely dependent on type of music: electronica will be the main system so I can get the full bass, rock will be the Bluetooth options.)
(Fortunately, my main system sounds really good outside the room it’s in! :D )

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a part II for those using loudspeakers:
A. I wonder how many people spend considerable time listening as an experience as opposed to having music passively augment the rest of their lives?
B. Do the listeners sit at the vertex of an equilateral triangle opposite the two speakers or do they sit randomly in a room?

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
A. I wonder how many people spend considerable time listening as an experience as opposed to having music passively augment the rest of their lives?
I listen 2-3 hours a day while reading and/or browsing the interwebs (ASR!). My attention is more or less divided equally between the music and what I'm reading/browsing. I almost never have 'background' music playing when doing anything else, especially not when 'working'. On the rare occasion I do listen while working then it will be something fairly ambient and instrumental and certainly not with lyrics in a language I can understand. I loathe any kind of talk radio or inane daytime pop dj banter. I have enough voices in my head without some other wassock butting in!

B. Do the listeners sit at the vertex of an equilateral triangle opposite the two speakers or do they sit randomly in a room?

Yes. I sit – or rather lie – on my sofa with head in apex of a flat triangle between speakers. Don't care what my system sounds like anywhere else since I'm not 'listening' anywhere else. That said, my LX-minis sound more or less the same wherever I am in the house – even two rooms away sitting on the loo. Obviously the sweet spot for stereo image is best at my MLP but basic tonality is very similar anywhare which is not the case for the box speakers I own.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
When I sit at my main system I am actively listening.
I hate the equilateral triangle concept. I sit in a slightly off-kilter isosceles triangle, about 1.5-2' further back than my Speakers are apart; Speakers are positioned asymmetrical in the room.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As a part II for those using loudspeakers:
A. When I'm listening, I'm listening. Otherwise it gets turned off
B. Equilateral triangle, about 9 feet on a side

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In my home office, nearfield speakers (~4 feet) about 70% of the time, headphones the other 30%. Most concentrated listening done here. I rotate the amp/speakers every couple of months for variety.
Throughout the house, in most other rooms, speakers at greater than 2 meters, and usually listening as I'm moving around, doing other things.
The basement system, which I am not using much at all these days, is the only "classic" midfield stereo setup.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, the results are in and looks like most typically listen beyond 2m. Sticking with speakers, the 1-2m distance was next but considerably less. Am speculating these are folks that either produce music or want a setup that is closer to a studio arrangement. A little less far behind that are those listening at under a meter. I imagine that many of you are listening while on your computer in this case.

I suggest that the next poll drill down on the far field (beyond 2m) listening. As some earlier posts suggest, might be interesting to look at speaker placement for those that are listening in far field. With Amir on house projects, may be a while before we get another review. So, open to other discussion ideas too!:)

Top Bottom