• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do you sort (organise) your CDs, LPs, K7s, Tapes; physical medias

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I ran out of room for my CDs so i just shove um now wherever I can. What I wanted to make was a spreadsheet so I remember which ones I've bought.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What I wanted to make was a spreadsheet so I remember which ones I've bought.
Something like this? :)
Strawberry3.jpg

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ran out of room for my CDs so i just shove um now wherever I can. What I wanted to make was a spreadsheet so I remember which ones I've bought.

Something like that I shared in my post #4 in this thread? :)

Sashoir

Forum Donor
I myself keep my physical media (almost all compact discs, but also a few LPs) in disorganised heaps by genre.

I'm far more scrupulous about my HDD music, which are kept in a temporary "quarantine" directory until I'm happy with the metadata tagging (though I only just learned from Dualazmak's earlier post that the cover image can be embedded in the tag structure, rather than as a stand-alone file with a special name-thank you!-now I can rid myself of the library's internal directory structure).

Having the physical discs haphazardly "filed" makes it easier to browse when I'm not sure to what I might like to listen, whereas having the HDD rigidly organised makes it easy for me to find exactly what I want if I've something particular (like a Kingsway hall recording of a Strauss tone poem (if I have one)), or something merely more specific than "jazz" or "rock" or what have you) in mind.

The ideal (for me) library would also have a third way of consumption, namely via some sort of "multi-graph". So to harmonie's point about genesis--phil Collins-(Hugh Padgham-Sting-Vinnie Colaiuta-Frank Zappa- Edgard Varese-...) But with more edge types linking the various nodes. Of course, this is the world wide web for music, but my use case would be merely for a slightly more interesting and harmonious "shuffle" experience.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm far more scrupulous about my HDD music, which are kept in a temporary "quarantine" directory until I'm happy with the metadata tagging

That is very nice and convenient way before putting the tracks into "organized" (permanent) folder in HDD (in my case into SSD). I sometimes do the same at rather busy occasions.

By the way, now I use dBpoweramp CD ripper/converter which is very reliable, secure and also good at collecting metadata through automatic internet search; of course I always edit many of them "until I'm happy fully with them" just like you.

I mainly use JRiver MC's tag editing function which is really nice since it remembers all of the "so far used tag wordings" in each of the so many tag fields, and it also allows to edit a tag field for all the selected tracks at once.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nobody said, after you put them on a HDD/SSD buy Roon at $10/month and get all the album art, liner notes, and reviews and fabulous search engine that has multiple ways of looking them up.
Also, these boxes hold between 85-90 with end labels up so you can read them and fish them out. You can of course label the box anyway you want, by genera alphabetical etc. I haven't done this but think you can add box number to the metadata? I have one box with the rare and valuable ones all to own in case of evacuation, that would be fire or tsunami where I live.

https://www.staples.com/18-L-x-10-W...EM:ordconfrm::sku&data-cta-category=[PRODUCT]

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Among the metadata fields (I mainly use aif [for CD ripping], flac and DSD format for full metadata compatibility), we have "comment" field in which you can put any wordings you like, and JRiver MC's search function can survey all of the "comment" fields throughout your entire library...

UniPolar

For physical media ( mainly CD's ), I have a sequential number assigned and taped to each disk clamshell, in no particular order.

The music server I use allows me to store that number in a special field and search on any other field and metadata ..
So, even if I don't have the CD ripped to the server, I can still create a record for that particular CD and fill in the metadata either manually or automagically from one of the online tag sources.... Searching for 'Slow Hand' for example shows me all the hits and the clamshell number.
This serves to satisfy my OCD ..:D And yes, I TRY to keep the clamshells stored in the correct order...

Last edited:

Sashoir

Forum Donor
That is very nice and convenient way before putting the tracks into "organized" (permanent) folder in HDD (in my case into SSD). I sometimes do the same at rather busy occasions.

By the way, now I use dBpoweramp CD ripper/converter which is very reliable, secure and also good at collecting metadata through automatic internet search; of course I always edit many of them "until I'm happy fully with them" just like you.

I mainly use JRiver MC's tag editing function which is really nice since it remembers all of the "so far used tag wordings" in each of the so many tag fields, and it also allows to edit a tag field for all the selected tracks at once.
Dear Dualazmak, I should also take the opportunity to thank you for your very informative set-up thread. I don't yet understand all of it, but I've learned a great deal from it so far.
I, too, use DB Poweramp for ripping, but I find metatogger to be my favourite metadata management solution.

babayaga

To keep track of what I have in my collection I have an AppleScript program that dumps the contents of my NAS music folder to a text file. And just recently, I have download the Discogs app to my iPhone. It works great to quickly show me what I have in my collection to avoid buying duplicates...

MCH

Major Contributor
I keep an excel document in my phone to avoid buying a lp that I already have (has happened too many times...). The guys selling think I am checking the value in the internet and and often get long faces.... :facepalm:

OP
Harmonie

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep an excel document in my phone to avoid buying a lp that I already have (has happened too many times...). The guys selling think I am checking the value in the internet and and often get long faces.... :facepalm:
Very same happens to me, but I've never bothered to make a copy in my phone.
I have a (very) old software, originally on Floppy disks !!
Never had the patience to retranscript all data to a newer soft and wonder if I can find a way to just find a transfer ?

babayaga

Give Discogs a try...The only thing you have to do is enter your data. Just remember, baby steps! Do a few each day. It's a useful little tool!

OP
Harmonie

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Give Discogs a try...The only thing you have to do is enter your data. Just remember, baby steps! Do a few each day. It's a useful little tool!

I used Discogs to edit all the new tracks on Flac files.
But what I need, is to convert 2000 Cd's data that were edited in a very old software into a contemporary soft.

Top Bottom